What about this for arboreal.

ultraspider

Arachnopeon
Saw this at walmart, trying to find a good enclosure for my 3 avicularias...still too small for it but am keeping eye out for something decent.

I opened the box up in the store real quick all the pieces are removed, its a 100% hollow tank w/ a lid, it seems perfect my only concern would be 1. is rounded/no flat walls, 2. being able to put vent holes in sides w/o it looking ugly af.

I opened box and looked at it in store, seems legit... lid covers whole thing plus it has a nifty led light which im would be nice just to flick on and off to look at what spider is up to real quick..

OK my main question here is....do avicularia's have issues with rounded enclosures like this, as far as sticking to the side of the glass most of the time is it better for them to be on flat surface because this thing is 360 degrees rounded...

also I have a drill and different size bits. What is the preffered size ventilation holes to? And is drilling plastic the best method because I know it doesnt come out very clean after, i've heard of people using soldering irons...

so you dont have to scroll website:
  • Dimensions 9.5 L x 9.5 W x 13.75 H

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-3-Gallon-360-Starter-Aquarium-Kit-with-LED-Lighting/13448744

thanks for any advice

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
OK my main question here is....do avicularia's have issues with rounded enclosures like this, as far as sticking to the side of the glass most of the time is it better for them to be on flat surface because this thing is 360 degrees rounded...
Avics should have no trouble climbing a rounded surface. Each tarsal pad (foot) is covered in thousands of specialized hairs that help them grip smooth surfaces.

What is the preffered size ventilation holes to? And is drilling plastic the best method because I know it doesnt come out very clean after, i've heard of people using soldering irons...
It depends on how many holes you're drilling. Every hole should be smaller than the spider's carapace to prevent escapes.

Some plastics will drill easily, and others will crack.

ultraspider

Arachnopeon
i might as well try, my Ts are too small right now for that so i still have time...if it cracks i bet walmart would let me return it anyway, ill just tell them in defective and that the water in my fish tank keeps leaking out all the holes that were drilled in it

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I wouldn't. Built to be an aquarium, I imagine it has holes for the filter, removable area for lighting, and a easy to open door. And lots of nooks and crannies in the lid a spider could squeeze into.

You'd have to make the lid yourself if you really want it. Then I imagine it would be fine.

Theres beeter cages that don't require so much modification.

ultraspider

Arachnopeon
I looked for all that, the lid has like 1 half inch hole in it i think its for the led light to push through...im really just wondering if rounded enclosures like that are an issue for them to be comfortable in as opposites to a flat wall surface...

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
im really just wondering if rounded enclosures like that are an issue for them to be comfortable in as opposites to a flat wall surface...
Why would it be an issue? Natural environments and terrain aren't usually flat, and trees certainly aren't. While some Avics have been found living on the sides of human dwellings and such, they would normally be living in the forest canopy.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
In my opinion I think you could create something way better using AMAC boxes or cheaper containers. If you want to use this one, make sure there is enough cross ventilation. The holes should be on the smaller side, if I was home I'd get you the exact drill bit size.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I looked for all that, the lid has like 1 half inch hole in it i think its for the led light to push through...im really just wondering if rounded enclosures like that are an issue for them to be comfortable in as opposites to a flat wall surface...
Oh, then absolutely no. I raise all my arboreals in deli cups. Those are all rounded.

ultraspider

Arachnopeon
im looking for something for when theyre an adult sized, right now theyre medium sized deli cups, do the AMAX boxes come like at around 9x9x12?

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I can't find any that big. I'll post the size of the drill bit when I'm home.

ultraspider

Arachnopeon
ya thats about the size i used, i just looked it was like 7/64 so alittle bit smaller.....i sort of want to make a nice spider shaped stencil and tape it to it and make little dots with a marker...ive seen that somewhere and it comes out looking nice

Last edited:

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
That would be so rad! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
if you are looking for something thats good, round, cheap and decent for arboreals? id look into containers like this:

Screen Shot 2017-10-14 at 4.42.04 PM.png

the ones for the cheese balls, are cheap and a little more flimsy, but there are similar storage containers for similar products made from thicker plastic but they work great.