Western Diamondback

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is my new little buddy Wes.
Brandon invited me to go snake hunting tonight, and this is what I brought home.

Ernie

Attachments

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow awesome Mr.T i want one. Did you catch one for me when you were out?;)

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ernie, what did the wife and kids have to say about your new little buddy?
Ed

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nice WDB!
hey you live in the rattler state no 1 and you brought back a atrox, when you got tigris, molossus aso there! :?

/Lelle

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
God. Now whenever I think about Crotalus Atrox, I get a flash of that pic of the guys hand, pretty much completely corroded by the venom.

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey ernie where did you find them at here in Az ?? And how did you find them ?? Did you go T hunting while you where up there ?? I want to go T Hunting next weekend probably.

Sam,

Last edited:

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Crotalus
Nice WDB!
hey you live in the rattler state no 1 and you brought back a atrox, when you got tigris, molossus aso there! :?

/Lelle

Lelle, We were looking for mitchellii pyrrhus, but it wasn't a real good night. It rained most of the day, and cooled down pretty fast.
Were going to try again in two weeks. Maybe get a Tigis then, with luck..:cool:

scorpio QUOTE

God. Now whenever I think about Crotalus Atrox, I get a flash of that pic of the guys hand, pretty much completely corroded by the venom.

scorpio,,The plan is: Keep hands out of range. Keep eyes on snake. Keep from getting snake bite.

atavuss QUOTE

Ernie, what did the wife and kids have to say about your new little buddy?
Ed

Ed, The wife doesn't like it, but my kid think its cool.
The wife will get use to it, she always does.

jper26 QUOTE

Wow awesome Mr.T i want one. Did you catch one for me when you were out?

jper26, Sorry bro. maybe next time :eek:

Cooper QUOTE

can you post or PM me that pic?

Try to copy it off this page. If you can't let me know and I'll send it to you.. ;)

Ernie

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
MrT, that's a beautiful snake you have there. Just ah, um...be careful. I think we already know that though. :)

I had a chance to pick up a venomoid WDB about as big as the one you have now. It was rather cute watching the little bugger rattling and preparing to kick some ass as if it were much larger. If I weren't against de-venomizing, and had more experience with venomous snakes, I'd have picked that little guy up in a heartbeat.

Scorpio, are these the pics you're talking about? The injuries sustained here were inflicted by a Western Diamondback (Crotalus atrox) bite.

Warning: These pictures are graphic.
Crotalus Atrox bite pics

Bry

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bry,
Thanks for the reminder..:eek:
I plan to be very, very careful...

Ernie

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yup, those where the ones I was talking about:eek: , if I got bit I would come out of something like that short one hand and plus one morphine addiction........nasty.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I commend that site for maintaining such a great library of "gruesome" pics. If you are an adult that can honestly say that you are prepared to accept having your limbs and digits necrotic and sloughing off for the sake of owning a particular animal, I can't argue with you since it is your body.

OTOH, I would never own any sort of rattler unless it crapped solid platinum, and then I'd still have to think about it :)

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
I commend that site for maintaining such a great library of "gruesome" pics. If you are an adult that can honestly say that you are prepared to accept having your limbs and digits necrotic and sloughing off for the sake of owning a particular animal, I can't argue with you since it is your body.

OTOH, I would never own any sort of rattler unless it crapped solid platinum, and then I'd still have to think about it :)
Offcourse a escape proof cage is a must but still you need to feed the snake, give it water and take it out of the cage when cleaning so unless you dont know how to work with them dont get one.

/Lelle

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Crotalus
so unless you dont know how to work with them dont get one.
What, trying to weed the stupid out of the population? That's just mean ;)

that 'dont' up there seems to be a brain fart that really changes the meaning of what you're saying =D

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am NOT belittling the danger that these animals present but I wonder how much risk is involved if one uses proper handling techniques. According to what I've read, most bite victims are 18-25, male, drunk and have room temperature IQs. Either that or they think God wants them to pull stupidly dangerous stunts. I feel sorry for the rattlers who get abused because of human stupidity.

Karen N.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey

Oh, I hear what your saying, and I like having all my parts working and whole.
Then take into account the cost of treatment if you have a bad reaction to the bite. I've heard into the $50.000.00 dollar range.
I'm pretty conflicted about keeping it.

One thing I'm sure of, it won't be crapping solid platinum..:rolleyes:

Ernie

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lelle hit it right on the head. While an escape proof cage is certainly needed there are going to be times it must be removed from said cage. One must be prepared for handling the snake in order to keep it and accomplish this safely. Granted with the tools available today it can be done with a tremendous amount of safety compared to in the dark ages of hot keeping but the best tool still is common sense and respect for the animal.

You must always keep your head about you give yourself room to work with the snake and above all never lose respect for what it is capable of doing. Accidents can and do happen but a calm head and a well though out game plan will greatly reduce the chance of one sending you to the hospital or worse the morgue.

Phil

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Phillip
. Granted with the tools available today it can be done with a tremendous amount of safety compared to in the dark ages of hot keeping but the best tool still is common sense and respect for the animal.

You must always keep your head about you give yourself room to work with the snake and above all never lose respect for what it is capable of doing. Accidents can and do happen but a calm head and a well though out game plan will greatly reduce the chance of one sending you to the hospital or worse the morgue.

Phil
Thanks Phil,
I've been waiting for you to chime in.:)

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well in that case consider me chimed in. :) If you don't have any already I would invest in a set of tongs. Very useful for snakes that aren't cooporative on the hook.

Phil