Went to the store for pinheads, came back with a T. blondi!

troglodyte

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow. Seems like everyone is getting their goliaths from pet stores and other places that don't know a thing about this. I wonder when my Petco is going to get one of those monsters in, labeled as a G. rosea ;) ?
Well, I didn't exactly get mine from Petsmart. I bought it from a local exotic pet store that carries tons of rare critters. They knew what they had and they charged me as such... as much as I wish they thought it was a G. rosea, I'd have a hard time giving a place like that my business.

colicabcadam

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey i noticed you said there was a hide in there...... yes there is, but blondi's love to burrow.

i'd go to a peat / verm mix in a much larger tank, needs to be like 6+ inches deep, whack a large piece of cork bark in there at a slight angle and compact all the peat down as hard as you can, make sure the bark is visible at the end you want the hide created(usualy facing the front of the tank so u can see down the hide), give it a few days and it'll begin to dig, i fill my blondis burrow up with peat every now and then so it gives it some work to do lol.

As mentioned before, this is a rain forest species, that mesh lid is not really any good and misting the tank wont really bring up the humidity as it will simply evaporate and the water in the air will make it's way out the tank.

I mentioned putting a small towel on it, but someone else mentioned about getting a solid plastic lid, do it!

Stamper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey congrats on the new T :cool:
makes my think I should break down and get a blondi myself

troglodyte

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've fitted a garbage bag across 3/4 of the wire lid... It should work. As soon as I get some play money I'll be redoing the tank. I've got about 4" of sub in there that my H. lividum manages to burrow in. The only type of substrate I can get my hands on locally is Eco Earth, and it seems to work just fine.

I don't know where to get a log from, though. Regardless, the blondi is definitely going to be my project T.