1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Welp it finally happened

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by ShrapnelShark, May 12, 2017.

1. Advertisement
    I had a H.gigas(hobby form) sling dip on me from the shipping vial it was in. 1/3" i thought I lost it. But it ended up showing itself about 15minutes later. Longest 15minutes of my life.

2. darkness975

darkness975 a Dream Within a Dream Arachnosupporter

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/darlingi-has-colonized-a-drain.274963/

• Like x 2
    • Award x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. Titandan

Titandan Arachnopeon

If you are in a cooler part of the world, I heard keeping a heat pad or heat lamp in a certain part of the room and looking for the T near the heated area sometimes work. It makes sense but I've never tried it myself.

Hope you find your T.

Blessings!

4. beaker41

beaker41 Arachnoknight

I disagree. Most people think the main issue with ow is the potential strength of the bite but in my mind the issue is speed. I always tell people you cannot understand the speed you're dealing with until you've seen it with your own eyes. It may seem ridiculous to use the bag method 90% of the time and total overkill but one thing you can count on is 0 escapes. It's even more of a surprise when you have done cage transfers or cleaning and never had any issues. T's just have a mind of their own and as in most things if you plan for the worst you are covered. There's no one in the world who is going to beat a motivated t in a contest of speed. It's natural to hesitate when you get surprised like this and that's more than enough time for your t to escape. Even if you manage to get your catch cup on them the issue then becomes how do you capture without maiming your little buddy. If you take the right precautions this will never ever happen, it's just a matter of being willing to put in the extra preparation even when you don't think it's necessary.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Bread

Bread Arachnopeon

I rehouse in an old fishtank i have lying around (unless its the big guys which are done in the bathtub but are easier to spot)
    said fishtank has its walled covered in ptfe i use for my formicariums, not even T's can climb it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JoshDM020

JoshDM020 Arachnoknight Active Member

Did you just solve the problem of terrestrials hanging on the lid? I think you mightve.

7. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

You can't see teleportation.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. STi

STi Arachnopeon

DMV
    I had an irminia sling get loose on me when opening the enclosure to feed. I ended up throwing some laundry on the floor and checking it 2 or 3 times a day. I forget how long it was, shorter than a week, but sure enough I found the little one in one of my shirts. Might work for you and wishing you luck in finding your little fugitive

• Like Like x 1
  9. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

Oooooh....good luck locating it, it will take a good degree of luck.

In the future just house in a 16oz deli cup....this way you can just peel back a small area needed...this alone will virtually eliminate escapes....thats the major downfall to enclosures with rigid tops that need to be completely removed.
    If you are in northern IL, hit me up....i should be breeding darlingi pretty soon and would be happy to offer a replacement if its not found or replaced by then.
    i think of this every time i re house in the tub...lol. The other day i housed a mm darlingi in the tub....afterwards i realized i didnt close the drain...dodged a bullet there...
    Heat with a space heater.....a pad us designed to be used in contact, just leaving a heat pad in the vicinity wont have much effect unless its kept pretty close.

Heat lamps are quite dangerous to use with ts and should be avoided....theyre way too hot and significantly dry out the air in enclosures.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. mconnachan

mconnachan Arachnoprince Active Member

No matter what size of T I'm rehousing I always utilise the bath, the best solution to an easily avoided situation. The best advice I can give has already been given by @Moakmeister use a red flash light when it's dark, they stand out more so than using an ordinary flashlight. Sorry to hear this, I really hope you find the wee fella. Good luck.

11. Moakmeister

Moakmeister Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    That's not the reason, the reason is that they can't see red light so they won't hide when you shine it at then.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Trenor

Trenor Arachnoprince Active Member

NC
    I've never used the tub to rehouse. Chasing some T about behind the toilet never has appealed to me. I tried using a large plastic tote once but it barely slowed the T down and the corners made using the catch cup difficult. I much prefer to rehouse in a large open space. Using the catch cups are a lot easier.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Formerphobe

Formerphobe Arachnoking Arachnosupporter

VA, USA
    Being a heavy webbing burrower, look for it to set up housekeeping in random nooks and crannies about your room.
    Keep a flashlight handy to check your shoes before putting them on.

14. sasker

sasker Arachnoknight Active Member

What, prey, is the bag method?

I will receive a C. marshalli - my first OW - this week and I want to avoid a similar incident as the OP described.

15. Stormsky

Stormsky Arachnopeon

The bag method is putting the tarantula's old enclosure in a bag and taping the bag's opening around the opening of the new enclosure, then basically doing the whole transfer through the bag. It puts the whole transfer in a closed environment so you don't have to worry about an escape at any point in the process.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. sasker

sasker Arachnoknight Active Member

That sounds awfully laborious, but still better than chasing your tarantula for days. Thanks for the info, I might give this a try.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Phases

Phases Arachnosquire

Wow that stinks! Best of luck to ya. Keep your ear out, you might hear it 'hiss' at ya if you annoy it. Pretty distinct sound.

Edit: I do some transfers that I'm concerned about inside a bigger storage bin with lid and cups handy.. Once you realize it's about to flee, well, you just have to be faster ;) And hopefully no-one, spiders included, get hurt..

18. Phases

Phases Arachnosquire

Oh if no one has mentioned it, roll up a towel and shove it under the door, so it doesn't leave the room.

• Like Like x 1