Well well well. Look who I caught drinking

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
Earlier today, I was supposed to post a thread citing the "unimportance" of drinking water in sling enclosures. Withheld the post pending personal experience. Several hours later, I caught my 3/4 inch versicolor sling drinking, bottoms up, from a bottle cap (far right) which I glued some distance away from it's webbing (left). The cap was glued to that area before it made its webbing. I wonder why it webbed opposite the water source, could be they arent exactly "that" moisture-loving as some people believe.

Anyhow, slings apparently know WHERE TO GO if theyre thirsty (provided of course that the bottle cap is stationary). As of the writing of this post, the sling is now back on its web.

This is my first versicolor, and so far it's thriving in this relatively large jar. The jar is punched with holes from top to bottom (including the lid). Maybe Im lucky I didnt experience the so-called sudden sling death syndrome that some people unfortunately do with this species.

versi drinking.jpg

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Because I didn't see any of my pet drink water until now :p It's one of those things I get curious about : Are keepers overdoing it? Are they underdoing it?
You said it like you were obligated to post a thread on the topic. I was wondering who was twisting your arm.

So it was more of a I decided not to post absolute crap instead of someone wanted me to post absolute crap..Lol

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
You said it like you were obligated to post a thread on the topic. I was wondering who was twisting your arm.

So it was more of a I decided not to post absolute crap instead of someone wanted me to post absolute crap..Lol
More like "Slings not drinking is a silly interpretation" :D

iEatRazorz

Arachnopeon
Because I didn't see any of my pet drink water until now :p It's one of those things I get curious about : Are keepers overdoing it? Are they underdoing it?
They will drink the water droplets from misting as well. That's also pretty fun to watch. They go from drop to drop. I caught my 1/4" hamorii drinking today as well.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
The "sudden sling death syndrome" common with Avicularias and their relatives/former members isn't common anymore since people have figured out that their enclosures need to have cross-ventilation and be kept dry. You seem to have set up the jar correctly. But can the sling get out of those air holes?

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
The "sudden sling death syndrome" common with Avicularias and their relatives/former members isn't common anymore since people have figured out that their enclosures need to have cross-ventilation and be kept dry. You seem to have set up the jar correctly. But can the sling get out of those air holes?
She (being hopeful) can't. :D Her carapace is twice to thrice the width of the holes.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
She (being hopeful) can't. :D Her carapace is twice to thrice the width of the holes.
Wait, what? Is there some kind of optical illusion in the picture because that spider's ABDOMEN looks smaller than those holes, let alone the carapace.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
Wait, what? Is there some kind of optical illusion in the picture because that spider's ABDOMEN looks smaller than those holes, let alone the carapace.

Well the cap and the spider is at the back portion of the container. Things appear smaller from afar.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I was supposed to post a thread citing the "unimportance" of drinking water in sling enclosures.
It is kinda important though.

"Being nightmare fuel is thirsty work"
14718744_1464723263541108_2276360639309881176_n.jpg

Even in the enclosures that don't have dishes I've seen slings climb on top of clumps of sphagnum that I've just pipetted water onto and start sucking the water out of it.

I wonder why it webbed opposite the water source, could be they arent exactly "that" moisture-loving as some people believe.
Yeah, it'd kinda long ago been figured out that care sheets pointing out that they need high humidity were what was causing what was known as "Sudden Avic Death Syndrome", now we know that they need to be kept mostly dry and with plenty of cross ventilation, they'll still drink.

Also, arboreals tend to poo/dump waste in standing water, presumably because in the wild it'd be "flushed" away with the next lot of rainfall so that might have something to do with them not setting up shop right next to it (but still within a "safe" walking distance).

Last edited:

Lilguy220

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the info. And i have a quick question for you I have a pterinochilus murinus and the water dish is most likely gonna get webbed up. So what can i do to prevent webbing over and how to refill water dish without needing to open the enclosure so i dont get a startled OBT Thanks :D

tewebag

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the info. And i have a quick question for you I have a pterinochilus murinus and the water dish is most likely gonna get webbed up. So what can i do to prevent webbing over and how to refill water dish without needing to open the enclosure so i dont get a startled OBT Thanks :D
This thread is near a year old lol

Just put water droplets on the web, it stays for a few days. I have drilled small "watering" holes above the water dish in my enclourses, wide enough for me to get my paint pipettes into. Removes the need to open/close just for water.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I have drilled small "watering" holes above the water dish in my enclourses
This is what I do as well, Kritter Keeper-type enclosures generally have a "watering hole" (a hole that's just big enough to fit a syringe/pipette through) in at least one corner of the lid so I just position the water dish under that.

Lilguy220

Arachnopeon
This thread is near a year old lol

Just put water droplets on the web, it stays for a few days. I have drilled small "watering" holes above the water dish in my enclourses, wide enough for me to get my paint pipettes into. Removes the need to open/close just for water.
Thank you good sir for the advice :D

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
It's so cute how their butts are in the air. All my girls are too big to do this. They just do push-ups over their water dishes to drink.