well it happened.. killed my first T

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah... it happened.

victim: .75" P striata sling

haven't even had it for 24 hrs... i opened up the vial to peek in on the little guy, and i noticed he was somewhat burrowing the soil in the bottom of the vial, so i opened the lid to get a better view, then ZWWWOOOOOM! out he went. so i had to lift up my shelving unit to get him. after lifting, i grabbed the vial and promptly put the small sling back in. afterwards, when trying to put the top shelf unit back on, it happened... one of the legs of the unit tapped the vial i put the striata sling in.. it tumbled, and hit the floor. immediately i set the unit down, and grabbed the vial to check on it.... it was on it's back, legs stretching back and forth, spasming. twitching... i can move it a little with a cotton swab, and it's being very lethargic. i have a feeling it's not gonna make it. so this makes the first T that i've ever killed out of my own stupidity... sorta makes me feel like i should let someone punch me in the face. :wall: im not 100% sure it's gonna die, but if i had to say... yeah, it's a goner. just gotta wait to see how the ICU works out.

Dan​

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry to hear that :(. I have had some stupid incidents happen like that before and it just really bums you out especially if it is a favorite. Is it leaking at the abdomen or anything along those lines?
-Nate

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't think it will die. But I am a glass half full kind of person. I have had Pokies fall far harder then you are saying yours did and they are alive and kicking. So I would just wait till morning before you go thinking he's a goner.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't think it will die. But I am a glass half full kind of person. I have had Pokies fall far harder then you are saying yours did and they are alive and kicking. So I would just wait till morning before you go thinking he's a goner.
I killed 2" metallica sling like this, yep drop friggin vial
kicked myself forever, still do :(
Sorry man, happeneds to any of us

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hope it turns out ok Dan.

So far I have -

killed a 2" A. purpurea by jarring the container right after molt
killed a 1" rosie by dropping its vial on the floor
pinched off half the legs of a 3/4" b. smithi that tried to crawl out of the vial right when I closed the lid (it fully recovered)

sucks when it happens

Last edited:

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is it leaking at the abdomen or anything along those lines?
nope, didn't see a drop of anything

I would just wait till morning before you go thinking he's a goner.

yeah, i did... he's dead now :(

well, i guess it happens. no worries, i guess. i would've REALLY been sad had it happened to my 6"+ Aureostriata female who is hopefully gravid (she's huge). so in a way, i feel lucky, but in a way, it's still not a good thing.. just one of those things that happens to everyone at some point, i suppose.

Dan​

penny'smom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about it Dan. You realize the only consolation is to get another T...right?? ;)

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It happens more than you think...I've clipped a leg or two in my day as well.
Don't beat yourself up over it...next time you'll be alot more careful, trust me.

No worries Dan.

Arachnomore

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Very sorry to hear about your loss. I almost cried over a couple DOA's. I was sitting at work trying to explain how there not just any old spider.. they are Rosea's and that its not nature for them to die in a shipping container.... :(... I should be getting a replacement soon though.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It was an accident, Dan, and they happen. You are a wonderful T owner, and you take good care of your spiders. Everything that I have bought from you has been bouncing with health.
Don't beat yourself up, it happens to us all.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
*hug*

my avicularia girl, who was a gift from my husband during our early dating months, just died last night after i watched her struggle for weeks (with symptoms much like DS).

whether we lose them slow or fast, it always hurts.