Well, I'm hooked...

cold blood

Staff member
lol, research doesnt mean squat next to actual experience.....you could do a decade of research and still be way behind someone with 6 months of actual experience....research teaches certain things, which are important...but research wont teach a damn thing you need when something actually happens.

Usually things dont happen....which merely lulls an inexperienced keeper into a false sense of confidence....and thats a big problem.....almost all newbies jumping into the deep end quickly have a majestic false sense of confidence....thats evident almost daily on the boards.

Last edited:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
lol, research doesnt mean squat next to actual experience.....you could do a decade of experience and still be way behind someone with 6 months of actual experience....research teaches certain things, which are important...but research wont teach a damn thing you need when something actually happens.
I know you meant *decade of research and still be way behind someone with 6 months experience.
Usually things dont happen....which merely lulls an inexperienced keeper into a false sense of confidence....and thats a big problem.....almost all newbies jumping into the deep end quickly have a majestic false sense of confidence....thats evident almost daily on the boards.
Well said. Both those species will be easy at first. Give them some time to grow and then suddenly OP has two large fast/potent spiders he ins't prepared to work with or rehouse, and that's when mistakes/accidents happen. Same story different thread lol.

FatherOfDragnz

Arachnopeon
Indeed....post has been edited to make sense...lol...ty
Yeah experience is key. I'd like to point out that just because someone has kept any "calmer" species before hand though, as others have stated, doesn't mean that that person would be prepared for a faster and more potent T either and the only way to actually be ready for working with anything and be comfortable is to actually work with it.

I'd also like to point I'm not your average noob hobbyist. I have always kept some type of animal and have had many different kinds of animals and I am always watching, reading and researching. Even on things I don't currently have or have had but eventually want to keep again. I already spent at least 2 months watching and reading things before I even thought of buying my first T lol

I'd also like to again mention my 3rd sling was a freebie I was given that I wasn't expecting to have so if not for that I would only have 2 slings at this point and not 3.

cold blood

Staff member
I'd like to point out that just because someone has kept any "calmer" species before hand though, as others have stated, doesn't mean that that person would be prepared for a faster and more potent T either and the only way to actually be ready for working with anything and be comfortable is to actually work with it.
I disagree. Even calm species teach you real world things about ts....it may not prepare you completely, but it will leave you better prepared than one without that experience.

I'd also like to point I'm not your average noob hobbyist
LOL, yeah, just about everyone says that....you may indeed be an exception, but keep in mind that almost everyone firmly believes they are the exception...very very few actually are. Most believing so are in that group with the false sense of confidence.

Keep in mind, my post wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Yeah experience is key. I'd like to point out that just because someone has kept any "calmer" species before hand though, as others have stated, doesn't mean that that person would be prepared for a faster and more potent T either and the only way to actually be ready for working with anything and be comfortable is to actually work with it.
They'll give you a lot more experience than you think.

Sure, a B. albopilosum isn't going to in any way prepare you for the speed of an H. mac, it will however give you an insight into how these animals move and behave, that's valuable knowledge to have when dealing with an animal that can run up one arm and down the other in less time than it takes you to even register that it's moved and has a bite that's painful enough to make you wish it had killed you.

I'd also like to point I'm not your average noob hobbyist. I have always kept some type of animal and have had many different kinds of animals
Yeah, in my 19 months on here I've seen a bunch of people give it the big one like "Yeah, I'm not a noob, I've been keeping reptiles/pygmy marmosets/dementors for 20 years" and then very quickly realise that very little they know about keeping other animals actually applies/translates to keeping tarantulas.

Don't get cocky, that's about the dumbest thing you can do when keeping OWs.

floraborabora

Arachnopeon
I watched a YT video of some guy unpacking some OBTs... I think I will stay away from that T until I've got a lot more experience. You're brave. But I completely get being hooked so quickly. I've had my first T for like, 3 days and I'm already eager to get another one.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Pokies are wimpy. Get some actually cool first spiders and don't waste your time trying to look cool. I started with a pokie expecting a speedy danger spider and ended up with a thing that burrows under it cork bark and runs from superworms. If you wanted something arboreal and makes people nervous just get a Psalmopoeus species as they are pretty similar to pokies in looks but act more like an arboreal baboon. Also, I'm not going to say that starting with multiple spiders is bad as I started with 6, yes six spiders in one day and it went perfectly fine, but you shouldn't do what I did as it was tough and much harder than just having 1-2.

FatherOfDragnz

Arachnopeon
I'm not being cocky or anything at all. Just pointing that some of you have come in here with the "know it all and what I say is law" attitude. I said yes I'm a noob and I know so but I'm not some everyday random person who bought some tarantulas on impulse, basically im just not an idiot is what I'm saying and I've researched and know what to expect and am prepared to be very cautious and careful with what i have.

I actually find it quite amusing how many of you have come in here and basically tried smashing down on to the point of discouraging a new and excited fellow hobbyist.

On that note though I would like to thank and convey my appreciation to those that have given helpful advice and encouragement and understanding thus far.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
I'm not being cocky or anything at all. Just pointing that some of you have come in here with the "know it all and what I say is law" attitude. I said yes I'm a noob and I know so but I'm not some everyday random person who bought some tarantulas on impulse, basically im just not an idiot is what I'm saying and I've researched and know what to expect and am prepared to be very cautious and careful with what i have.

I actually find it quite amusing how many of you have come in here and basically tried smashing down on to the point of discouraging a new and excited fellow hobbyist.

On that note though I would like to thank and convey my appreciation to those that have given helpful advice and encouragement and understanding thus far.
It's not the fact that you're a noob that they're bashing your ideas, it's the choices you're making. These guys hear the same things you're saying on a daily basis and they're only doing this to help you. If you really want these spiders, then get them and don't talk about it for a few months, even if you have problems. I know there are quite a few extra stern people on here but all of us are just trying to help you and make sure you don't hurt yourself or the hobby.

FatherOfDragnz

Arachnopeon
It's not the fact that you're a noob that they're bashing your ideas, it's the choices you're making. These guys hear the same things you're saying on a daily basis and they're only doing this to help you. If you really want these spiders, then get them and don't talk about it for a few months, even if you have problems. I know there are quite a few extra stern people on here but all of us are just trying to help you and make sure you don't hurt yourself or the hobby.
Yes and I can understand and appreciate that kind of mind set and all as I've had to give the same kind of advice on such things to numerous people about animals that aren't even considered dangerous.

However there are much more effective ways to talk and explain things to someone then having an attitude of knowing anything and everything and basically saying what you have and are doing is stupid.

At the end of the day I'm still new and excited about the hobby and i have what I have amd they arent going no where so telling my why the heck wpuld you get that or want that and that's ridiculous are mute points as what's done is done and I'm aware of what I have.

Ztesch

Arachnoknight
Listen, all we are trying to say is get your basic husbandry down first. Then once you know you can handle more old world tarantulas, then by all means go for it.

FatherOfDragnz

Arachnopeon
Listen, all we are trying to say is get your basic husbandry down first. Then once you know you can handle more old world tarantulas, then by all means go for it.
Ok thank you for the advice. I'm merely considering a pokie right now as I would like 1 or 2 arboreal species to round me out for now and was considering pokies as I really enjoy the coloring and patterns they have. I am open to looking at any other recommended species of arboreal T though and was hoping for some more suggestions on what to check out in those regards apart from the pokies.

athlete96

Arachnosquire
Ok thank you for the advice. I'm merely considering a pokie right now as I would like 1 or 2 arboreal species to round me out for now and was considering pokies as I really enjoy the coloring and patterns they have. I am open to looking at any other recommended species of arboreal T though and was hoping for some more suggestions on what to check out in those regards apart from the pokies.
Oh, believe me, I want a P. rufilata and P. tigrinawesseli because they're so pretty. I'm also a total beginner though, and my 2 arboreals P. pulcher and T. gigas are the closest things to a pokie that I can handle.

If you really want arboreals, take a look at psalmopoeus. Pretty, fast, with a bite that's nasty for a NW but tame compared to an OW. I adore my p. pulcher; it's skittish but still vibrant and constantly outside. You could also look at avics too, but I'm not familiar with that genus.

EDIT: English is hard.

Ztesch

Arachnoknight
Ya pokies are really cool, but on the other hand there are a ton of awesome looking new world arboreals.

cold blood

Staff member

*face palm*

cold blood

Staff member
However there are much more effective ways to talk and explain things to someone then having an attitude of knowing anything and everything and basically saying what you have and are doing is stupid.
I think you are bring a little dramatic....it didn't exactly happen that way, I just re-read the entire thread and I think you are just taking things a little too personally here. We all had plenty of teachers we hated, yet we still learned from them....

Its a lot less about how you perceive the messages, than what the actual messages are.
At the end of the day I'm still new and excited about the hobby
And this is great, and we're glad you are, and glad you are hear to learn and grow...its why each and every one of us spend time here.

so telling my why the heck wpuld you get that or want that and that's ridiculous are mute points as what's done is done and I'm aware of what I have
If you can't handle other opinions, why are you on a public forum though? Other opinions are unavoidable in such a place....you do not have to let them bother you.

The only people that have troubles here, tend to take things too personally and get too defensive too quickly, the rest of us get a long great and make many new, like minded friends here....I certainly hope you fall into that latter group....there's nothing here in this thread that you should be taking offense with, people are just trying to help, and their experiences certainly are capable of offering help.

No one told you that you had to do anything, no one even suggested you had to get rid of anything, but experienced people can help you to make better decisions...but its completely your call whether you want to hear it or not....we can't disable your credit card and blackball you from dealers, you can do what you want.....but its hard to make the right and the most educated decisions with anything when you are new to the subject.

Stay positive and best of luck with your choices.:happy:

Jonroe

Arachnopeon
What exactly do some of you want him to do? Bring them back, then neatly follow your advice on what to do and don't?
I don't understand what you're achieving with face palms and fearmongering.

Maybe keep in mind you are talking to an adult and have some respect like your face to face. I know hard on the internet, please have some restraint.

Last edited:

FatherOfDragnz

Arachnopeon
I think you are bring a little dramatic....it didn't exactly happen that way, I just re-read the entire thread and I think you are just taking things a little too personally here. We all had plenty of teachers we hated, yet we still learned from them....

Its a lot less about how you perceive the messages, than what the actual messages are.
And this is great, and we're glad you are, and glad you are hear to learn and grow...its why each and every one of us spend time here.

If you can't handle other opinions, why are you on a public forum though? Other opinions are unavoidable in such a place....you do not have to let them bother you.

The only people that have troubles here, tend to take things too personally and get too defensive too quickly, the rest of us get a long great and make many new, like minded friends here....I certainly hope you fall into that latter group....there's nothing here in this thread that you should be taking offense with, people are just trying to help, and their experiences certainly are capable of offering help.

No one told you that you had to do anything, no one even suggested you had to get rid of anything, but experienced people can help you to make better decisions...but its completely your call whether you want to hear it or not....we can't disable your credit card and blackball you from dealers, you can do what you want.....but its hard to make the right and the most educated decisions with anything when you are new to the subject.

Stay positive and best of luck with your choices.:happy:
Yes I am staying positive and happy to be here and want to be for a long while. I wasn't trying to take anything personal but I would think you can agree some posts were a little over the top in regards to the fact I got an OBT sling first, which part of why I did is, in my thoughts what would attract a lot of people that are new, are the fact they are pretty cheap and from my research are a very hardy species and as long as I was aware of their reputation and showed it respect and am careful they are a wonderful T to have. On that not I got the sazimai because I knew I also wanted a brazilian species early on as I am portuguese myself and couldn't find anything on native Ts of portugal but I'm always a fan of creatures from Brazil also amd my Grammostola was a bonus when I picled up the Sazimai.

I will say I was also hesitant to post here because of basically the sort of reactions I recieved on the OBT sling as that was also what came up during my research was the strong opinions out there on them so I actually debated for a few days on actually joining and asking anything or talking about and asking for suggestions on species for my collection since I knew the "what did you get first and what do you have" questions would arise.