Well, I never could've believed it even 2 weeks ago, but I am now one of yours

Violins77

Arachnopeon
I was kind of always scared of spiders, but not to the point of not being able to see one without panicking. This is probably due to the fact that about 20 years ago, while cruising on a mattress on a lake in the north of Quebec, and while going under a dock, I noticed about 5+ spiders called Dolomese Scriptus, and I had absolutely no idea there were spiders that big in my country. From then, I kind of got scared of walking barefoot on docks, and would always look for spiders near lakes and river.

However, I consider myself a really scientific person (I do astronomy, work in programming, and like to learn about everything). So despite me being kind of scared of spiders, I always read a lot about them as I find them fascinating. I go to the caribbean about two times a year, and I always read about the presence of tarantulas in the specific country I go as I wish I could see one in the wild. Well, last summer, my wish was granted! I saw a tarantula on a wall (about 3-4 inches, not super huge) and was delighted! I looked at it and took pictures (I could try to find it if you guys are interested, maybe we could have an idea of the genus). I wasn't scared, I kept my distance, but I was more curious then scared.

Fast forward to last month, I was in Dominican Republic, and talked to locals there about where I could see tarantulas. The most prominent species there is phormictopus cancerides, which they locally call "Cacata". So me and my girlfriend went off the resort at dusk in the hope to catch the sight of one near the road where we were told they are sometimes, especially after rain. When coming back from this expedition, I realized I was maybe not as arachnophobe as I thought (and my friends thought) I was. I mean, I was literally searching for wild tarantulas... Not sure a real arachnophobe would do that!

Anyway, fast forward last week. I attend the reptile show in Montreal with some of my family (I love reptiles as well), and there is a tarantula in demonstration there, a Grammostola rosea.
I started chatting with the owner, explaining my weird fear and at the same time fascination with tarantulas. The guy says he couldn't understand more, as he was in this exact situation a few years before, while his roommate was looking to get a tarantula. He was scared so started reading about it, and long story short, he told me he now owns 30+ tarantulas. At the time, I thought he was a little nuts, as I had no idea how such an apartment could hold 30 plus gigantic cages and big monsters like that. But my thoughts were interrupted when he propose me to take her out of the cage himself so I could have a look. I said yes, but told him to go slowly. He was super understanding and didn't want to scare me, so he gently took her in his hands. He proposed me and my girlfriend to put her in our hand. My girlfriend agreed (!!). So the rosea started gently walking in her hands. I was like "great, now I have no choice but to do it". But when came my turn, I kind of flinched. He told me to maybe start by touching her abdomen gently, which I did. He then proposed that she put only one leg on me, and I agreed. Seeing it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought, I opened my hand and the rosea walked in my palm. I couldn't believe it, me, the arachnophobe, was holding a tarantula. As she was in my hand, it was really strange, I couldn't understand myself, I wasn't panicking at all, in fact, I kind of liked it. It seemed like my brain lied to me all this time in my life... My girlfriend took some pictured, and the guy put the rosea in the cage.

When I came back home, I started reading about what it entitles to own a tarantula. And I read, and watched video, and read, and watched videos... My girlfriend walk to me and said, "you're gonna get one aren't you?". There was no point in denying it anymore, I was gonna get a tarantula.

I searched online for the best starter species, and a place to get Ts. I was delighted to see that Tarantula Canada is just here in Montreal! So yesterday, I took my car and drove there, having a couple species in mind. I talked for a while with the owner Martin (awesome guy), and finally left the store, with not one but TWO slings (frankly I am surprised how cheap this hobby is to get started, so I thought might as well get two).

So there, I am now the happy father of:

Cindy : Brachypelma albopilosum 0.75 inch / 5 centimeters
Meredith : Lasiodora parahybana. 0.25 inch / 1.2 centimetes

The Albopilosum seems like a great first tarantula and I find her quite cute!
On the other hand, the parahybana will grow to be quite big! I saw an adult in the enclosure there and really really liked it!

The only thing I regret is that I hear the two species actually look alike during the sling / juvenile phase. I think I will consider adding a different one as well, thinking of Brachypelma albiceps!

Also, I decided to be on the side of not handling my tarantulas. I got them out of scientific curiosity and pleasure of observing. Just before someone asks if I plan to handle any, the response for all is no!

So there you go, I hope to have entertained you a little and bring some new blood on this forum! Happy saturday!

Last edited:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I was kind of always scared of spiders, but not to the point of not being able to see one without panicking. This is probably due to the fact that about 20 years ago, while cruising on a mattress on a lake in the north of Quebec, and while going under a dock, I noticed about 5+ spiders called Dolomese Scriptus, and I had absolutely no idea there were spiders that big in my country. From then, I kind of got scared of walking barefoot on docks, and would always look for spiders near lakes and river.

However, I consider myself a really scientific person (I do astronomy, work in programming, and like to learn about everything). So despite me being kind of scared of spiders, I always read a lot about them as I find them fascinating. I go to the caribbean about two times a year, and I always read about the presence of tarantulas in the specific country I go as I wish I could see one in the wild. Well, last summer, my wish was granted! I saw a tarantula on a wall (about 3-4 inches, not super huge) and was delighted! I looked at it and took pictures (I could try to find it if you guys are interested, maybe we could have an idea of the genus). I wasn't scared, I kept my distance, but I was more curious then scared.

Fast forward to last month, I was in Dominican Republic, and talked to locals there about where I could see tarantulas. The most prominent species there is phormictopus cancerides, which they locally call "Cacata". So me and my girlfriend went off the resort at dusk in the hope to catch the sight of one near the road where we were told they are sometimes, especially after rain. When coming back from this expedition, I realized I was maybe not as arachnophobe as I thought (and my friends thought) I was. I mean, I was literally searching for wild tarantulas... Not sure a real arachnophobe would do that!

Anyway, fast forward last week. I attend the reptile show in Montreal with some of my family (I love reptiles as well), and there is a tarantula in demonstration there, a Grammostola rosea.
I started chatting with the owner, explaining my weird fear and at the same time fascination with tarantulas. The guy says he couldn't understand more, as he was in this exact situation a few years before, while his roommate was looking to get a tarantula. He was scared so started reading about it, and long story short, he told me he now owns 30+ tarantulas. At the time, I thought he was a little nuts, as I had no idea how such an apartment could hold 30 plus gigantic cages and big monsters like that. But my thoughts were interrupted when he propose me to take her out of the cage himself so I could have a look. I said yes, but told him to go slowly. He was super understanding and didn't want to scare me, so he gently took her in his hands. He proposed me and my girlfriend to put her in our hand. My girlfriend agreed (!!). So the rosea started gently walking in her hands. I was like "great, now I have no choice but to do it". But when came my turn, I kind of flinched. He told me to maybe start by touching her abdomen gently, which I did. He then proposed that she put only one leg on me, and I agreed. Seeing it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought, I opened my hand and the rosea walked in my palm. I couldn't believe it, me, the arachnophobe, was holding a tarantula. As she was in my hand, it was really strange, I couldn't understand myself, I wasn't panicking at all, in fact, I kind of liked it. It seemed like my brain lied to me all this time in my life... My girlfriend took some pictured, and the guy put the rosea in the cage.

When I came back home, I started reading about what it entitles to own a tarantula. And I read, and watched video, and read, and watched videos... My girlfriend walk to me and said, "you're gonna get one aren't you?". There was no point in denying it anymore, I was gonna get a tarantula.

I searched online for the best starter species, and a place to get Ts. I was delighted to see that Tarantula Canada is just here in Montreal! So yesterday, I took my car and drove there, having a couple species in mind. I talked for a while with the owner Martin (awesome guy), and finally left the store, with not one but TWO slings (frankly I am surprised how cheap this hobby is to get started, so I thought might as well get two).

On the other hand, the parahybana will grow to be quite big! I saw an adult in the enclosure there and really really liked it!

The only thing I regret is that I hear the two species actually look alike during the sling / juvenile phase. I think I will consider adding a different one as well, thinking of Brachypelma albiceps!

Also, I decided to be on the side of not handling my tarantulas. I got them out of scientific curiosity and pleasure of observing. Just before someone asks if I plan to handle any, the response for all is no!

So there you go, I hope to have entertained you a little and bring some new blood on this forum! Happy saturday!
Welcome to the boards man! That was the case with many of us. Fear eventually turns into fascination. Must of been awesome to search for Ts in their natural habitat, on my bucket list thats for sure.

Always great to see some new local keepers jumping into the hobby...you definitely wont regret purchasing that B.albiceps you were eyeing out. Such beautiful spiders.

Ashley2070

Arachnopeon
What an awesome story! So excited to welcome a new member aboard! Better be prepared for this to turn into a serious addiction :p before you know it you're gonna have 30+ Ts too!

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
Welcome!

I had an LP for my first sling, I just adore him.

If you want a sling that looks more interesting, I'd absolutely recommend a GBB. Not only are they pretty, but they hit prey like a truck. They're quick though, so you'll probably want a few months to get used to the movement of your slings.

EDIT: Other people have such better photos of GBB slings than I do. I gotta work on that. :embarrassed:

Last edited:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Good first choices. I was worried that you were going to start with P. cancerides, based on the story.

Violins77

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for your responses :)

@Nightstalker47 That's an awesome looking spider!! Great shots! Definitely close to getting my choice settled here :)

@Ashley2070, Yeah, I think we pretty much all know were this is going hahaha. I just have to convince my girlfriend and show her that it's not as strange as it sounds. I need to show her working T rooms. The fact that I just purchased a house in a rural area is also a perfect timing to get into that hobby. Half of the basement is unfinished, which makes it a good place to use since nobody is going to go there :)

@Mirandarachnid Thank you for your suggestion. As you said though, I think I will wait a little before getting a fast one! This is definitely on my list, as is Poercilotheria Metallica, but I consider myself a little too green for this. I have plenty of time to hone my skills, and this is the kind of hobby I can do for a long time!

@nicodimus22 You would be right to think that. This is one the first species I looked up when getting interested, I thought it would be a funny story to start with this one. Unfortunately, after reading about P. cancerides, I ultimately decided against it. From what I understand, this is more suited to an intermediate level owner, and I'm really methodical in the way I approach new hobbies / activities. I like when things flow in a natural way and not skipping ahead too much.

To be honest, I also recognize that Lasiodora parahybana might be on the "hotter" side of a beginner species, but I was really impressed by it's stature, and Martin (one of the owners of Tarantula Canada) said he has no problem recommending it. Therefor I went for it!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Awesome story, thank you for sharing!
Thank you all for your responses :)

@Nightstalker47 That's an awesome looking spider!! Great shots! Definitely close to getting my choice settled here :)

@Ashley2070, Yeah, I think we pretty much all know were this is going hahaha. I just have to convince my girlfriend and show her that it's not as strange as it sounds. I need to show her working T rooms. The fact that I just purchased a house in a rural area is also a perfect timing to get into that hobby. Half of the basement is unfinished, which makes it a good place to use since nobody is going to go there :)

@Mirandarachnid Thank you for your suggestion. As you said though, I think I will wait a little before getting a fast one! This is definitely on my list, as is Poercilotheria Metallica, but I consider myself a little too green for this. I have plenty of time to hone my skills, and this is the kind of hobby I can do for a long time!

@nicodimus22 You would be right to think that. This is one the first species I looked up when getting interested, I thought it would be a funny story to start with this one. Unfortunately, after reading about P. cancerides, I ultimately decided against it. From what I understand, this is more suited to an intermediate level owner, and I'm really methodical in the way I approach new hobbies / activities. I like when things flow in a natural way and not skipping ahead too much.

To be honest, I also recognize that Lasiodora parahybana might be on the "hotter" side of a beginner species, but I was really impressed by it's stature, and Martin (one of the owners of Tarantula Canada) said he has no problem recommending it. Therefor I went for it!
L.parahybana is a good beginner species imo, they can be a bit grumpy sometimes and their urticating hairs are more irritating than say Brachypelma hairs.

If you would like a species of which the slings have more colour or get their adult colours relatively fast, look into A.geniculata. Gets just as big as the L.parahybana and is very visible. Keep fingers out of the enclosure though, they think everything that moves is food.
If you would like some visual info on keeping Theraphosidae, check out The Dark Den and EulersK on YouTube.

Welcome aboard :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thank you Andrea82 for the response. I'm already following The Dark Den and Tom Moran (Tom's big spiders). Tom, however, seems to really warn against A. Geniculata as a beginner species in this article:

https://tomsbigspiders.com/2016/12/...pecies-for-beginners-revisited-video-version/

Would you say he is right or is your experience different?
Tom Moran is absolutely fantastic as well. Don't know why I didn't mention him...:shy:

Edit: need to read better, sheez.
A.geniculata is often warned off for new keepers because they are very food-aggressive. This could be intimidating for new keepers, I suppose.
But they're so much fun and easy to keep in all other aspects that i frequently recommend them as second spider. They're out and about, eat well, bulldoze a lot, get big, have gorgeous coloring...
And seeing a sling the size of a piece of corn wrestle with a feeder that's twice its size is pretty hilarious. :D
Especially because it wins.
I have 10, and only one or two are a bit shy, two are a bit defensive, another two are a bit skittish, but overall fairly consistent in needs and behaviour.

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Deciding to have pet tarantulas will be one of the best decisions you ever make in life.

Congratulations.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Welcome to the hobby and to arachnoboards! I went to DR years ago and wish I'd seen some tarantulas there!

Yes this hobby is addicting and very rewarding! Let's see how many Ts you have in a few months from now. :)

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Thank you Andrea82 for the response. I'm already following The Dark Den and Tom Moran (Tom's big spiders). Tom, however, seems to really warn against A. Geniculata as a beginner species in this article:

https://tomsbigspiders.com/2016/12/...pecies-for-beginners-revisited-video-version/

If you want something really docile, I would not recommend Acanthoscurria geniculata. However, if the goal isn't maximum docility, I think this species can be OK for beginners (especially as a second or third tarantula) as long as they don't intend to handle it.

Ideally, I would start with a sling, so your skills and confidence can grow with it. (As a brand new keeper and recovering arachnophobe, it might be intimidating to start with a 7" adult that thinks everything is food.)

I received a 1/2" sling 13 months ago (as a freebie with a purchase), and he has been anything but skittish. He has almost always sat out in the open since I got him, and not much seems to scare him. Six months later, his adult colors were already coming in (at 2"), and he is now 3". He is not defensive or aggressive, just very enthusiastic about food.

They can flick urticating hairs when threatened, and these hairs are moderately irritating, so that is a second reason (in addition to the feeding response) to keep your hands out of the enclosure. Do all maintenance with tongs.

StampFan

Arachnodemon

Love that whole thing. You are in good hands with Tarantula Canada, they are pros.

And you just gave me an idea for my trip to the Dominican....

Violins77

Arachnopeon

If you want something really docile, I would not recommend Acanthoscurria geniculata. However, if the goal isn't maximum docility, I think this species can be OK for beginners (especially as a second or third tarantula) as long as they don't intend to handle it.

Ideally, I would start with a sling, so your skills and confidence can grow with it. (As a brand new keeper and recovering arachnophobe, it might be intimidating to start with a 7" adult that thinks everything is food.)

I received a 1/2" sling 13 months ago (as a freebie with a purchase), and he has been anything but skittish. He has almost always sat out in the open since I got him, and not much seems to scare him. Six months later, his adult colors were already coming in (at 2"), and he is now 3". He is not defensive or aggressive, just very enthusiastic about food.

They can flick urticating hairs when threatened, and these hairs are moderately irritating, so that is a second reason (in addition to the feeding response) to keep your hands out of the enclosure. Do all maintenance with tongs.
Thank you! That's really informative. Indeed, I kind of like the idea of starting with slings and watch them grow. You are right that if I get the sling now, I might be much more confident when they are actually mature. Will keep an eye for this soon. I am in a good place now as I managed to convince my girlfriend for the full and only authority on my new hobby (meaning I don't have to ask if I can get a new one each time)! It might seems a given to you guys, but this kind of hobby needs to be discussed with the family first!

Love that whole thing. You are in good hands with Tarantula Canada, they are pros.

And you just gave me an idea for my trip to the Dominican....
Yes! Watch for the p. cancerides on the side of the road at dusk, especially in wooded areas and fields! I didn't get the chance to see one, but with my additional confidence now, I am sure next year will be the year. Ask them for Cacatas!

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Welcome to Arachnoboards - You'll find out all you ever wanted (or needed) to know about T's....I'm glad you chose the species you did, I thought it was going the P. cancerides route as well.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
It's always great to see someone discover the beauty and awesomeness that are tarantula's aka Theraphosidae!

Welcome and feel free to ask questions, but also do some browsing and searching to avoid too many reposts.

Last edited: