Well, I finally succumbed to temptation.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Yup. I've avoided Old Worlds for many years, but when I learned that an exotic animal expo was coming to my area (Really in my area, 15 minutes away at most) I planned on attending, and decided that if i stumbled upon a C. marshalli i would take the leap.

After wandering about the show, and seeing several species of tarantulas, either New Worlds, or ones I considered unsuitable for me ("No thanks, I don't think an OBT is right for me!"), I was ready to give up, and was honestly a little relieved in a sense. But then I noticed a small rack at a table I had sort of overlooked in my first pass by and saw it offering C. marshalli.

It took frighteningly little inner debate. :D

I'm pretty confident that I can handle this, I just need to get past a couple flaws. Flaw one: Klutziness. there isn't a huge margin of error for OWs. Flaw two(and maybe most importantly): a proclivity for absent-mindedness as a result of being distracted. I'd be lying if I said I've never left an enclosure unsecured and have had a couple escapes as a result. But I'm pretty confident I can up my game in those regards.

C. marshalli is the only species that has piqued my interest as far as Old Worlds go, as I consider the horn feature to be a bit unique. And their reputation as not being the most horrible choice out there as a first NW, bolstered my desire. Yeah, i realize they are usually pet holes, but that might be considered a positive thing in some respects on regard to a first OW.

I've combed the boards for the discussions on the species, but any fresh insights are welcome., both in regard to OW's in general, and this species in particular. I'll add a shot of the new guy just for the helluva it. No sense of scale, and I'm not the greatest at estimating, but I'd reckon somewhere between 1/2 inch and 3/4.

m_IMG_8273crop.jpg

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
fwiw, mine quickly dug a nice burrow, but hasn't used it in 2 years. choosing to sit out in the open almost 100% of the time instead. Mine is a great display t.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
decided that if i stumbled upon a C. marshalli i would take the leap.
......And now you will surely DIE!. But seriously, the threat from most OW's, if housed properly - i.e. given a real hide, is way overrated. I just rehoused 2 (1 male -1 female) juvie Cyriopagopus hainanus, which have a pretty bad reputation, and it wasn't much different than rehousing a Brachy or a Grammostola. In fact the nastiest T's I own are the Psalmopoeus victori slings I just got - they are mean little psychos.

I'd be lying if I said I've never left an enclosure unsecured and have had a couple escapes as a result.
Now this is a whole other story - don't release OW's in your house, you'll have trouble sleeping if you do. :eek:

Last edited:

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Nice choice! I have three C. marshalli and I love them. I was very hesitant myself about having OW but I find that as long as they are set up properly and can hide they much prefer to do so. I get more trouble from my NW than any of my OW. I use caution of course when working in the enclosures, but I do with all my Ts. Enjoy, they are lovely Ts :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Came to the Dark side did you?

Good ladder species- there is zero room for error, they are far faster than any NW except Tapis.

All my Cerato have been excellent display species

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
(cue the music) “Don’t fear the reaper...You have become like they are...”

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
I still fear my P.irminia far more than my two old worlds, a juvi m.balfouri and an AF c.fimbriatus. They just hide.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Came to the Dark side did you?

Good ladder species- there is zero room for error, they are far faster than any NW except Tapis.

All my Cerato have been excellent display species
Yeah, the s'ling teleported when I was transferring it to a better container. The lid to the deli cup looked a little smooshed in, and since i was unable to see the s'ling at purchase and for all i knew it could be a dead spider even though the vendor took a peek before handing it to me, I figured I'd just move it and see if it was okay at the same time. It shot out of the delicup and up the side of the new, (larger) container and was literally a blur that I barely could track with my eyes.

Well, I am setting up some self-enforced rules for myself with this one.

1. Do not become complacent.
2. Always work outdoors with it if it requires more than water and food. Might be a bit on the extreme side, but A) I wouldn't want it on the loose in the house and B) I figure that given enough space, even the fastest spider will stop to catch its breath. I reckon taking it to a local football field should do the trick. ;)
I've never needed to do any maintenance for any of my other spiders during cold weather, i don't see why this would be any different. Of course, I deal with the NWs indoors. But in that case, if something goes wrong and the spider gets away, most people after a thorough search would shrug and say "Well, scratch one spider if I can't find it.." instead of "Well, better go get the gas can and a book of matches..."
3. Place a reminder note where I will see it when I turn away from the cage. "Think! Did you secure the enclosure? What the hell were you thinking, by the way?"
4. Do not become complacent.
5. ALWAYS have a catch-cup handy. (That's more like basic tarantula 101, though)
6. Invest on a concrete underground bunker with a motion detection laser system installed.
7. Irradiate the thing so if I DO get bitten, there might be a positive side to it.
8. And this is probably the FIRST most important rule, actually. Never, EVER even go near the enclosure if I've decided to have a couple beers. Because A) it can totally cancel out the "Never be complacent" rule. "Hic! Whatsht the big deal?! If Schteve Irwin could do it it, sho can I! And B) If you wanna fumble something, being buzzed on alcohol, - or any other judgment impairing substance - that's the surest way to achieve that.
This one has never been an issue with me, even with the NWs, though. But for NW spiders, it is more for their protection. In the case of an OW, it is for mine.
9. No spider appreciates tasty bass guitar licks, period. Especially OWs.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It's incredible the way OW's T's are sometimes viewed: they are just like the other T's, one moment, if viewed under a different perspective... for that venom potency aside, certain NW's species are even more defensive than certain OW's.

Next, buy an 'Orange Bob', anyway.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Well...I've never seen a NW s'ling move like this new one did, either, so there is that, i guess.

And i DID buy an "orange Bob", technically.

After I purchased the C. marshalli I took it to my place of employment and showed it to a coworker.

After i arrived home, i thought, "i should call him and see if he'd have liked one. He was really interested in an OBT, but failing that he agreed that he wouldn't mind a ceratogyrus. I recalled seeing some OBTs offered on a table and trekked back to the show to see if they'd readmit me without paying the cover charge. That was five dollars, but in return you received a five dollar off any purchase at a pet store a few miles away, so you could sort of break even in that regard and I'm there quite a bit anyway. but they did not charge me for re-entry regardless.
Anyway, the guy with the cerats had packed up, but the OBTs were still available. So I did buy one, i just wasn't gonna bring it home! :D

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I've combed the boards for the discussions on the species, but any fresh insights are welcome., both in regard to OW's in general, and this species in particular. I'll add a shot of the new guy just for the helluva it. No sense of scale, and I'm not the greatest at estimating, but I'd reckon somewhere between 1/2 inch and 3/4.
I also picked C. marshalli as my first OW. It was kind of an impulse purchase, as I saw one for sale at a show for a good price, and I knew that the ones with horns were female.

She was in a cramped deli cup that she had obviously been living in for a while. I put her in an enclosure with room to dig, and dig she did. She is now a happy pet hole.

They are easy to keep: give them plenty of dry dirt, a starter burrow, and a water dish. (Individual behavior varies. Some burrow, and others are out more, but you should give burrowers the option.)

Mine stays in her hole, so she has not been inclined to bolt, but don't get complacent with lids.

When I prodded her out of the deli cup, she stood her ground and hissed at me, but other than that, she has never been defensive.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Well, I picked up a new enclosure for mine....

bunker.jpg

I haven't transferred it into the enclosure yet, I still have to install the moat.