Well behaved N. Coloratovillosus?

Jonahm256

Arachnopeon
I picked up a new T yesterday and got a good sized Nhandu Coloratovillosus for $60. I looked on the forums to see if they needed any special or additional care and was astounded at how many people had bad tempered, skittish, hair-flicking, Brazilian black and whites. I didn’t know the exact temperament of Nhandus but mine was very well behaved and I even handled it during the rehouse. No hair flicking, no threat postures and it didn’t even bolt once! Maybe I just got lucky? If you have one, how does your N. Coloratovillosus behave?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I picked up a new T yesterday and got a good sized Nhandu Coloratovillosus for $60. I looked on the forums to see if they needed any special or additional care and was astounded at how many people had bad tempered, skittish, hair-flicking, Brazilian black and whites. I didn’t know the exact temperament of Nhandus but mine was very well behaved and I even handled it during the rehouse. No hair flicking, no threat postures and it didn’t even bolt once! Maybe I just got lucky? If you have one, how does your N. Coloratovillosus behave?
Specimens can vary from one to another. Is yours an adult? If not, then I see why yours is calm. Their temper tends to show those attitudes people describe as they approach adulthood. But like I said, specimens vary from one to another.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Beware of handling this species; they have some pretty nasty urticating hairs that are worse than a lot of other NW species.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Had it barely a day... not enough time to judge disposition—- keep learning

cold blood

Staff member
Skittish and defensive, rarely kicks hairs.
As a juvie mine was the flickiest t ive ever had.....as an adult though, i cant recall much, if any flicking.

Definitely skittish though.

Handling this species is, simply put....not smart.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
As a juvie mine was the flickiest t ive ever had
She's the biggest hair kicker out of all of my Nhandu girls but not even close to being the worst hair kicker I've ever kept (that honour goes to my LP females, they won new owners as a result because Lasiodora hairs are the effing worst).

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Definitely skittish and hair flickers in my experience. You might have a "calmer" one or it might have been having a calm day... I definitely wouldn't risk handling. The spider's attitude isn't guaranteed to be a constant.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
One tolerant experience does not define it's temperament - especially when it is on the same day that the tarantula has been transported and rehoused. That is the least likely time that they display typical behaviour.

MainMann

Arachnosquire
Nhandus aren't exactly known to be the friendliest of NWs. Their urticating hairs are NASTY and most of them aren't shy to give you a bite either. So even if your T seems calm or well behaved, i'd still avoid all handling and be cautious when working with the T. And as @viper69 said, having it for a couple of days is not enough to judge it's temperament, and their character can also change quite drastically between molts, so always be very careful when working with it!

sincerely, Maman