codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeh, i have heard of that species be able to do that......not really "new"

ph0bia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice!

My only qualms are the two little factoids of there being 800-900 species: really this many? I thought it was closer to 500.

-and-

Venom: 'Typically not deadly'. I do believe nobody has ever died as a direct result of tarantula venom?

Other than that, a very interesting read! Awesome to know that there is so much we don't know about these creatures and a lot of the stuff we discover actually comes more from 'amateur' enthusiasts like us and our observations, than from science labs!

Flower

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice!

My only qualms are the two little factoids of there being 800-900 species: really this many? I thought it was closer to 500.

-and-

Venom: 'Typically not deadly'. I do believe nobody has ever died as a direct result of tarantula venom?

Other than that, a very interesting read! Awesome to know that there is so much we don't know about these creatures and a lot of the stuff we discover actually comes more from 'amateur' enthusiasts like us and our observations, than from science labs!
I had always heard about 800 species are currently known, but I dunno for sure.

Also, I feel like I have heard no one has ever died from a tarantula bite, but I guess if you were allergic you could die depending on what bit you. Maybe that's what they mean?

It is cool though. Sometimes when you hear about discoveries made in some far away lab by isolated scientists it feels so distant. It's cool to know that so much has been discovered and observed by people like you and me. :)

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Also, I feel like I have heard no one has ever died from a tarantula bite, but I guess if you were allergic you could die depending on what bit you. Maybe that's what they mean?
Allergic reactions are considered impossible I think. Allergies are reactions to proteins and I believe T venom is not proteinaceous. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Flower

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Allergic reactions are considered impossible I think. Allergies are reactions to proteins and I believe T venom is not proteinaceous. Correct me if I'm wrong...
I thought you could be allergic or have some sort of bad reaction to a T bite, like people can to a bee sting.

I know people can be and are allergic to bee stings. I keep seeing warnings on caresheets and stuff about being allergic to T's.

I can't correct you, I don't know for sure. I've never been bitten, or know anyone who has and had a reaction.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I thought you could be allergic or have some sort of bad reaction to a T bite, like people can to a bee sting.

I know people can be and are allergic to bee stings. I keep seeing warnings on caresheets and stuff about being allergic to T's.

I can't correct you, I don't know for sure. I've never been bitten, or know anyone who has and had a reaction.
bee venom I believe IS proteinaceous. T venom is not. Where are the bee people?!

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Tarantula venom lacks the protein structures to interact with the cells in your body that cause true allergic reactions. The "fact" that people are allergic is a myth.

Vidaro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nice info. that explains why spiderman doesnt shoot silk from his...***:)

Flower

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Tarantula venom lacks the protein structures to interact with the cells in your body that cause true allergic reactions. The "fact" that people are allergic is a myth.
Are you friggin' serious?

That makes me less paranoid about getting bit, though. {D

I do feel lied to by all the websites that told me I could be allergic. x(

What about Emperor Scorpions? I have a friend who swears he's allergic to them...

Last edited:

Vidaro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Emps are harmless to me, ive been stung dozens of times and i barely feel it but other say it hurts i guess it varies from person to person. Might not b any alergic reactions but each persnons tolerance and imune system

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
nice info. that explains why spiderman doesnt shoot silk from his...***:)
I always thought he should. But it would make the whole costume thing a bit difficult. Some interesting things would end up exposed so he could shoot silk out of where I always thought he should.
To the OP: That is a really interesting link, thank you!!!!!!!

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You said it better :worship: