Weird tarantulas...

ChaelP

Arachnosquire
When i woke up this morning, i checked my ts and noticed my b.smithi sling about 2cm kinda looks lifeless. Ive been waiting for this t to molt for a week. Touched it with my paintbrush gently, it moved a bit. First thing in my head is its probably gonna molt right side up. Which i know is uncommon but could happen. After 5mins it molted right side up. Cool... few hours later my g.pulchripes sling also molted right side up. Weird lol... also i gave my 2inch b.vagans a feed 3days ago, im surprised to see it on its back right now molting lol

Question, what could be the cause for ts to molt right side up? 1 is pretty uncommon, but 2 ts in one day? Hmmm
And is a t molting right side in more of a risk of bad molt?

Attachments

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I believe it isn't all that rare for the tiniest of slings (2nd-3rd instar) to molt right side up. The older they get the more rare it gets. I'm not sure that anyone knows exactly why they do it but you kind of hit the lottery of upright molts there.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Odd, but just a coincidence. Ts molting on their feet rather than their back can be more difficult but it's not as if an upright T has a 95% chance of not making it through the molt or something dramatic like that.

I think it's because if you consider it, when they're on their back they are pushing a very light exoskeleton off of their new body. If they are on their feet then they have to pull their heavier body out of the very light shell. It just logically seems like there would be less resistance when they do it on their back and that's likely why most Ts choose to molt upside down. I've got no idea if this is true or not, this is just a thought from my head rather than a fact based on scientific articles.

Last edited:

sasker

Arachnoprince
Ive been waiting for this t to molt for a week. Touched it with my paintbrush gently, it moved a bit.
Next time, resist the urge to poke and prod a tarantula that you know is likely about to molt. You are doing it more harm than good ;)

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
When i woke up this morning, i checked my ts and noticed my b.smithi sling about 2cm kinda looks lifeless. Ive been waiting for this t to molt for a week. Touched it with my paintbrush gently, it moved a bit. First thing in my head is its probably gonna molt right side up. Which i know is uncommon but could happen. After 5mins it molted right side up. Cool... few hours later my g.pulchripes sling also molted right side up. Weird lol... also i gave my 2inch b.vagans a feed 3days ago, im surprised to see it on its back right now molting lol

Question, what could be the cause for ts to molt right side up? 1 is pretty uncommon, but 2 ts in one day? Hmmm
Two in one day is quite the odds, glad they made it through just fine, perhaps they were just showing off for their keeper

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Get an Avic/Caribena/Ybyrapora...they molt any damn direction they can think of..:D

mconnachan

Arachnoprince

There's no reason to think that any T molting upright would be any cause for concern, I've had it happen on umpteen occasions - my most surprising one was way back, B. smithi 3"-4", molted on top of its hide right side up, when my nephew turned to me and said "why's there two T's in your enclosure" I had a look and couldn't believe what I saw, a perfect exuviae still in a stance like a tarantula and next to it another almost identical T, it was so cool, I wish I had taken pictures, but you live and learn.
2 in one day is just a coincidence pal, nought to worry about.:p