Weird molting injury?

Nandi

Arachnopeon
My P. fortis just molted and something really weird happened. Just check it out.
pampho.jpg

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Interesting, I’ve never seen that before. I’m pretty sure it’ll be fine though, it has seven other perfectly good legs

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
That's a first, shouldn't be much of an issue though...it will likely just drop the whole leg if it becomes a hindrance.

boina

Lady of the mites
I want an 'interesting' emoji... I mean it's not informative, it's interesting. Never seen something like that either.

Nandi

Arachnopeon
She actually lost the the exoskeleton from the last segment of her leg but the internal soft part didn't get damaged at all. Insane.
weird.jpg

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I’m curious as to what it will do. Autotomy generally occurs from an inability to move the leg through injury or trapping, or due to trauma higher up the leg. The anomaly is so low it doesn’t appear that it would effect movement. I’m wondering if this will just harden? Is it using the effected leg like the others?

Nandi

Arachnopeon
I’m curious as to what it will do. Autotomy generally occurs from an inability to move the leg through injury or trapping, or due to trauma higher up the leg. The anomaly is so low it doesn’t appear that it would effect movement. I’m wondering if this will just harden? Is it using the effected leg like the others?
Yes she is using it like everything would be okay. I don't even know if she is "aware" of it and I can't imagine how would she be able to recover the exoskeleton like that. Normally, it should regrow under the current exoskeleton but in this situation there is nothing to grow under. The hole on the exo isn't closed. So I'm afraid, unless she drops it, I must force her to drop it. Also I can't even think about what if this naked part got stuck or smth... it would pull out the entire thing geez. Honestly idk what to do.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Yes she is using it like everything would be okay. I don't even know if she is "aware" of it and I can't imagine how would she be able to recover the exoskeleton like that. Normally, it should regrow under the current exoskeleton but in this situation there is nothing to grow under. The hole on the exo isn't closed. So I'm afraid, unless she drops it, I must force her to drop it. Also I can't even think about what if this naked part got stuck or smth... it would pull out the entire thing geez. Honestly idk what to do.
When I wrote about it possibly hardening, I really meant drying to where it wouldn’t be moist. My suggestion, and I would hope others would chime in on this, is do not force it to cast the leg. If that is necessary, the T will do it without notice. Let nature work this out.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I wouldn't force her to drop the leg. My guess is that it will dry out. It is so creepy looking! I would assume that the new exo was somehow stuck to the old and waa torn off while molting.

Nandi

Arachnopeon
After 24 hours it became dark (almost black) and a little smaller. She is using it normally. I hope she will get better with the next molt.