Weird/Interesting things that you have seen spiders do?

Veles

Arachnobaron
As it says on the tin,I made this thread so I could ask other forum members about weird or interesting things they have witnessed done by our eighth legged little friends?

Just keep in mind I am talking about true spiders only here.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
my wolf spider when i caught it was reddish so i named it crimson and everything was going well for about a month and she was takeing down crickets big enough to eat her untill she just stopped... then the small water bottle cap i put water in for her would be empty every morning i woke up it would be COMPLETELY EMPTY then she becme very slugish and slow and she also made a wierd web structure across some sticks i put in her enclosure for heer to hide under. this was my second spider i had ever kept so i was freeking out at this point... and then i woke up one morning to a grousome, disturbing sight... there was a circle of web in the bottom left corner of her enclosure with a pile of eggs in the middle and next to this sad sight was crimson... weak... with only five remaining legs... i was absolutely mortified. i disposed of my beloved spider and her eggs. BUT IT GETS WORSE!!! about a year later i was watching a show about viral scientific videos and they were covering this video weve all probably seen by now https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=4E5vUUtSWT4&usg=AOvVaw3EoIEn3HOxBxftLoenyl_g

they discribed the symptoms of this paracite and i almost had a heart attack

-spider becomes slugish -check
-spider stops eating -check
-spider starts acting overall unusual -check
-spider starts drinking alot of water -check

i dont remember the rest of the symptoms but it sure had em. for about two months i had been takeing careof a husk of a spider with a paricite eating it from the inside and i was unknowingly supporting this paracite. now, i will never know for sure if it was a paracite because i didnt witness the spider die but im 98% sure it was one. now im always super parinoid my inverts have a paracite and have even killed a lady bug i caught because i thought it had one. so yeah that was my first real experience keeping a spider because my first one died within a week. great start to the thread am i right... #remembercrimson

Veles

Arachnobaron
my wolf spider when i caught it was reddish so i named it crimson and everything was going well for about a month and she was takeing down crickets big enough to eat her untill she just stopped... then the small water bottle cap i put water in for her would be empty every morning i woke up it would be COMPLETELY EMPTY then she becme very slugish and slow and she also made a wierd web structure across some sticks i put in her enclosure for heer to hide under. this was my second spider i had ever kept so i was freeking out at this point... and then i woke up one morning to a grousome, disturbing sight... there was a circle of web in the bottom left corner of her enclosure with a pile of eggs in the middle and next to this sad sight was crimson... weak... with only five remaining legs... i was absolutely mortified. i disposed of my beloved spider and her eggs. BUT IT GETS WORSE!!! about a year later i was watching a show about viral scientific videos and they were covering this video weve all probably seen by now https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiBzc6b_5PYAhXESCYKHYQIAogQtwIIJjAA&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E5vUUtSWT4&usg=AOvVaw3EoIEn3HOxBxftLoenyl_g

they discribed the symptoms of this paracite and i almost had a heart attack

-spider becomes slugish -check
-spider stops eating -check
-spider starts acting overall unusual -check
-spider starts drinking alot of water -check

i dont remember the rest of the symptoms but it sure had em. for about two months i had been takeing careof a husk of a spider with a paricite eating it from the inside and i was unknowingly supporting this paracite. now, i will never know for sure if it was a paracite because i didnt witness the spider die but im 98% sure it was one. now im always super parinoid my inverts have a paracite and have even killed a lady bug i caught because i thought it had one. so yeah that was my first real experience keeping a spider because my first one died within a week. great start to the thread am i right... #remembercrimson
Sorry for your loss man,but hey at least you will have more experience in dealing with parasites in the future I guess.
I had a bad experience too,one oh my first spiders was wolf spider from Hogna genus,she was rather interesting little being.That is until the ground spider I feed to her killed her,seriously those little things are nasty....

Last edited:

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Sorry for your loss man,but hey at least you will have more experience in dealing with parasites in the future I guess.
I had a bad experience too,one oh my first spiders was wolf spider from Hogna genus,she was rather interesting little being.That is until the ground spider I feed to her killed her,seriously those little things are nasty....
yeah ive feed spiders other spiders but its an absolute last resort for me and i usualy give them to spiders that build webs to catch prey for fear my spider will receve a bite to the petapalp while its controlling its prey

Veles

Arachnobaron
yeah ive feed spiders other spiders but its an absolute last resort for me and i usualy give them to spiders that build webs to catch prey for fear my spider will receve a bite to the petapalp while its controlling its prey
If it was an accident of that kind I wouldn't have felt THAT bad about it,but gnaphosidae straight up murdered her,hanged itself onto the lid and ate her.

Veles

Arachnobaron
hanible lecter spider lol
Seriously, the spider was S.blackwalli half her freaking size.
But,I have after the accident started paying attention to these guys in my garden and it seems that they have feeding habits that involve murderfucking other spiders,even in their webs.
Hell,few days ago I have seen one of them ambushing two inch grass spider in its own web,at night and eating it.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Seriously, the spider was S.blackwalli half her freaking size.
But,I have after the accident started paying attention to these guys in my garden and it seems that they have feeding habits that involve murderfucking other spiders,even in their webs.
Hell,few days ago I have seen one of them ambushing two inch grass spider in its own web,at night and eating it.
oh my god they teamed up on one! i didnt know that could even happen with spiders!

Last edited:

Veles

Arachnobaron
holy shit they teamed up on one! i didnt know that could even happen with spiders!
Not actually, I just see them eating other spiders or find already eaten ones remains all the time.I mean,these guys will deliberately go into tegenerias webs in my garage and make mulch out of their owners,or even chase down wolf spiders around my balcony at night time.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Not actually, I just see them eating other spiders or find already eaten ones remains all the time.I mean,these guys will deliberately go into tegenerias webs in my garage and make mulch out of their owners,or even chase down wolf spiders around my balcony at night time.
Lol I misread that post my brain saw 2 inch and spider and said 2 spiders

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Whats the name of this spider?

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
I know this is true spiders only but i still found this funny. IWas just watching a feeding video and this guys t wasnt hungry so it throwed up a threat posture. Striked its prey, and on its way back up it fell backwards into its hide

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
As it says on the tin,I made this thread so I could ask other forum members about weird or interesting things they have witnessed done by our eighth legged little friends?
The weirdest spider behavior I ever saw was in the web of a golden silk orbweaver (Nephila clavipes) that lived in my yard.

There were four other spiders living in the web:
  • a male suitor (Nephila clavipes)
  • a female orchard orbweaver (Leucauge venusta) who attached her web to the golden silk orbweaver's web
  • a male Leucauge venusta (courting the female)
  • a female dewdrop spider (Argyrodes): these tiny kleptoparasites live in the webs of other spiders, taking leftover bits of food

The big female Nephila clavipes didn't seem to mind the other spiders.

I used a white board as a backdrop so the camera would focus on the spiders. Females are labeled in red, and males in blue.

I have never seen such a crowded web since then, but I've seen that it isn't uncommon to find Leucauge venusta webs attached to Nephila clavipes webs.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
The weirdest spider behavior I ever saw was in the web of a golden silk orbweaver (Nephila clavipes) that lived in my yard.

There were four other spiders living in the web:
  • a male suitor (Nephila clavipes)
  • a female orchard orbweaver (Leucauge venusta) who attached her web to the golden silk orbweaver's web
  • a male Leucauge venusta (courting the female)
  • a female dewdrop spider (Argyrodes): these tiny kleptoparasites live in the webs of other spiders, taking leftover bits of food

The big female Nephila clavipes didn't seem to mind the other spiders.

I used a white board as a backdrop so the camera would focus on the spiders. Females are labeled in red, and males in blue.

I have never seen such a crowded web since then, but I've seen that it isn't uncommon to find Leucauge venusta webs attached to Nephila clavipes webs.
Hey! Haven't seen you on the boards in a while. How ya doin?