Weird A. chalcodes behavior...

Galaxyblues

Arachnopeon
So I was handling my blonde “Tribble” for the first time in weeks to show my friends. Everything in the handling went fine, but when I put her back into the terrarium, something odd happened. She was sitting on a rock structure I have in the tank after I put her down. I looked away for like a second and heard a noise. I looked back to find her under the rock dome structure she was just on top of, and I noticed a tiny puddle of water on top where she was moments ago. My guess is she bolted while I wasnt watching, but I am clueless when it come to the water on top... here is a pic of the rock structure.

Attachments

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Interesting rock setup but totally inappropriate for a T hide.
Also a hazard, please post full setup.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
@Galaxyblues , you´re trolling, right? If not, post a picture of your enclosure and someone here will give you some advice. That rock setup is not good for a tarantula and from the looks of it you´re also using sand as substrate.

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Possibly poop.

I'm with everyone else, from what I can see, that setup is completely inappropriate.

Galaxyblues

Arachnopeon
Most people are mentioning my apparently inappropriate setup but my t seems to be fine. She eats regularly, hides during the day and occasionally wanders about late at night.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Most people are mentioning my apparently inappropriate setup but my t seems to be fine. She eats regularly, hides during the day and occasionally wanders about late at night.
Just because it ‘seems fine’ for now doesn’t mean it’s comfortable for the T. Coco fiber, a simple hide like a solo cup cut in half or a flower pot cut in half is pretty easy. This species likes to burrow so I’d give it the chance to.
FD7F92B5-1B1C-4F63-855A-35CF674FDF25.jpeg

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
is that pure sand I see. and an improper hide? mmmm maybe it was tarantula tears that it cannot burrow.

anyways probably poop.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Most people are mentioning my apparently inappropriate setup but my t seems to be fine.
I got hit by a car once and I was fine (the car wasn't though lol), doesn't mean I'd do the bleep test on the A303 at rush hour. Tarantulas can survive some pretty crappy setups, we don't want them to merely "survive" but to thrive instead.

While the sand isn't a massive issue it's still not ideal, this species likes to burrow and can't do that in a sandy setup, even if the rocky cage furniture is part buried to negate a crush risk there is still far too much height between the top of the substrate and the top of the enclosure, a fall from that height will kill your tarantula (we'll skip some hassle by saying that you'll tell me that your tarantula never climbs and I'll reply "No, you've just never seen it climb"), the gap between the top of the substrate and the top of the enclosure shouldn't exceed 1.5x the tarantula's leg span.

View media item 46683