Weekend in the Ozarks

Harlequin

Arachnosquire
I just thought I'd post a few photos of some creatures I found over the weekend in the Ozarks of northern Arkansas.

IMG_3316.JPG
Sistrurus miliarius, a pigmy rattlesnake. She was about 10 inches long (notice the dried oak leaves for size comparison) and very docile.

IMG_3320.JPG
Another of her in a bucket for relocation (she was near a person's yard)

IMG_3322.JPG
Notophthalmus viridescens louisianensis, central newt eft

IMG_3327.JPG
Brachycybe lecontii, feather millipede

IMG_3329.JPG
They were everywhere after the rains

IMG_3332.JPG
Apheloria virginiensis reducta, not sure of common name. Pardon the blurred picture, but this thing would *not* hold still for a photo

IMG_3334.JPG

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Lovely photos! :) I especially love the feather millipedes! Too bad the Apheloria wouldn't stay still!

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, I agree with everyone else. Those feather millipedes are really cool. I have never seen one in person so I am jealous.

Did you seen any cool beetles?

Harlequin

Arachnosquire
I missed this. Really nice shot of the Brachycybe with fungi.
Yeah, I agree with everyone else. Those feather millipedes are really cool. I have never seen one in person so I am jealous.

Did you seen any cool beetles?
Thanks! @gunslinger I always encounter a good number of bess beetles and various other composting beetles, but that day I do recall seeing something really cool. I rolled a rotting log to find a rather large cavern with a nearly perfect sphere of ...something, writhing with a cluster of large larvae on top. As I was running through my head what it could be, a female burying beetle came out of the shadows! We have a lot of burying beetles here, but I've never actually seen a female tending a nest before. It was really cool. I gently covered her back up and left them be.