Web spinning spiders for beginners?

Ian Hall

Arachnopeon
Can anyone suggest a good web spinning spider which can be handled and is right for a novice. I'm looking for a beautiful display spider which if needed can be handled. Thanks Ian

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Are you asking for a true spider that can be kept as a pet or for a heavy webbing tarantula?

As far as tarantulas go I really can't think of a heavy webber that is docile and "handleable" All the typical heavy webbers; OBT, GBB, Chilobrachys spp, vary from skittish and shy to downright ferocious and defensive. Of course there is Avicularia which are pretty docile and usually web somewhat heavily although not comparably to the other species I mentioned.

If it's a true spider you mean Latrodectus (black widows) fit all your requirements except handleability. They're great pets, believe it or not and super easy to keep. I've tried to keep a few different species of orb weaver and had no success. They don't seem to adapt very well to captivity.

Sukai94

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
avicularia avicularia.

They don't web a ton, but they make cool web houses for themselves. They are docile enough to handle, but they can run and jump so be aware! :)

They are also inexpensive. A sling (spiderling) will run about $10-$20 where a larger one will run $15-35 depending on where you get it. If you get an older one be sure to get a female. They live longer, are larger and I believe they are more colorful (but don't quote me on the last one) :)

Here are some care sheets

http://www.eightlegs.org/avic/aavic.html

http://www.petbugs.com/caresheets/A-avicularia.html

radicaldementia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I also recommend A. avic or A. versicolor. They'll web a lot and although they can be a bit speedy, they generally make good beginner species. Plus they look really nice too.

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah, any of the species from the avicularia genus is what you want as described.
I have several species, and multiple individuals of each, and most are great webbers, tho some build ugly, substrate-filled webs.
For the most part, Avics is what you want.
I dont handle mine, but lots of folks do.
They can be fast, but every species can be . . .

DreadLobster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
GBB aren't defensive in my experience at least. Worst mine has ever done is flick hairs. They can be a little bit fast but nothing you can't handle. Before I bought mine, all I had owned was a rosea... I still consider myself a beginner but back then I really had no clue what I was doing and never had a problem. They web like crazy, are about as colorful as tarantulas get, and I've never seen a threat pose out of mine. I say go for a GBB (chromatopelma cyaneopubescens)

Agent Jones

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with Pacmaster, any Avic species sounds like just what you're looking for. And Avic avics can be picked up from just about anywhere for really cheap.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
H. incei or acanthognathus francki anyone?

i keep A. francki.. they don't get big, mine is about 3"ish but are very heavy webbers.. it's whole cage is a web lol

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
P. murinus (OBT). They're incredibly tough (great for a beginner), beautiful, have amusing personalities, and can definitely be handled (assuming you cup and remove them from their enclosure prior to doing so).

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P. murinus (OBT). They're incredibly tough (great for a beginner), beautiful, have amusing personalities, and can definitely be handled (assuming you cup and remove them from their enclosure prior to doing so).
true.. but not all have a sweet disposition when they're out of there home. on top of that they're lightning fast so if it gets spooked it could be off your hand and gone before you know it

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
true.. but not all have a sweet disposition when they're out of there home. on top of that they're lightning fast so if it gets spooked it could be off your hand and gone before you know it
Excuses, excuses, lol. They've all "loved" me.

rvtjonny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is a pic of a 2-2.5" A avic tube web.
not sure whats going on above :? but, nice enclose, like how it worked out for a feeding hole and is a good idea for a beginner.

With that said I am new to the T world myself and currently have 4 in my care, some are not for beginners, But I have respect for all of them, even the little rosea(about the size of a nickel). I'm not trying to get bit anytime soon either.
I have a versi that i got about a week ago and had to take it out and put it into a container so i could drill holes in the box it was in anyway everything went good until it was time to go back, well ill tell ya something these guys are pretty quick :eek:
s/he is about 3.5 spread out, it ran around the room a bit and got it to walk up a long piece of card board and got it back with out a problem. Just treat them all with respect and be careful, try to learn as much as possible before you make a choice. good luck.

Last edited:

Yanose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with the OBT idea the only issue is that they can be a little more exciting to deal with. but they are webby tough and have neat cocky little attitudes.