WC to CB, how many generations until safe?

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
This is something I've been curious about. If you were to catch some critters and allow them to breed, how many generations would you say they'd need to go through before they would be safe to use as feeders or a clean up crew? I tend to err on the side of paranoia caution, but I would like to add some earwigs into my roach bins to keep the mite population down a bit, and I found I have a population of them in a raised flowerbed in my yard.

Also, I've discovered there is a largish grey species of springtail under some paving stones. It would be nice to be able to have some springtails on hand that are a little more drought tolerant than the tiny white guys I'm using currently.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
If it were me, I’d throw the WC ones in there. I’d be more cautious with milkweed bugs because they’re toxic in their natural state. However, one or two generations on sunflower seeds makes them benign as feeders.

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
This is something I've been curious about. If you were to catch some critters and allow them to breed, how many generations would you say they'd need to go through before they would be safe to use as feeders or a clean up crew? I tend to err on the side of paranoia caution, but I would like to add some earwigs into my roach bins to keep the mite population down a bit, and I found I have a population of them in a raised flowerbed in my yard.

Also, I've discovered there is a largish grey species of springtail under some paving stones. It would be nice to be able to have some springtails on hand that are a little more drought tolerant than the tiny white guys I'm using currently.
It depends on type of critter. I would say 0 in case of springtails. Wild springtails periodicaly get into most of my enclosures.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
If it were me, I’d throw the WC ones in there. I’d be more cautious with milkweed bugs because they’re toxic in their natural state. However, one or two generations on sunflower seeds makes them benign as feeders.
I mostly worry about pesticide exposure. These earwigs seem to have a resistance to whatever has been used around my house. normally, anything I find in my house is dead by dawn, but I found an earwig in the house and he's doing just fine several days later.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I wouldn't do it at all, I should go to that old thread I started about earwigs and mites and warn people. I think they would be OK for containers with tarantulas, scorpions, etc. but not for feeders. I had 1000s of wigs in my dubia and Hisser tubs and noticed a decline in roaches. Those wigs are brutal! I think what starts happening is the baby roach nymphs are attacked and eaten when they are molting. I had to dump all the wigs out and start with new sub about a week ago, the roaches already look and act better and I'm seeing a lot more new baby diddlys.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I mostly worry about pesticide exposure. These earwigs seem to have a resistance to whatever has been used around my house. normally, anything I find in my house is dead by dawn, but I found an earwig in the house and he's doing just fine several days later.
Pesticide concerns are a bit overstated in my view. Our pets are the descendants of invertebrates that survived extensive DDT spraying in the 40s and 50s. They have more resistance than we think.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I wouldn't do it at all, I should go to that old thread I started about earwigs and mites and warn people. I think they would be OK for containers with tarantulas, scorpions, etc. but not for feeders. I had 1000s of wigs in my dubia and Hisser tubs and noticed a decline in roaches. Those wigs are brutal! I think what starts happening is the baby roach nymphs are attacked and eaten when they are molting. I had to dump all the wigs out and start with new sub about a week ago, the roaches already look and act better and I'm seeing a lot more new baby diddlys.
Good to know! They're still super cool though

Pesticide concerns are a bit overstated in my view. Our pets are the descendants of invertebrates that survived extensive DDT spraying in the 40s and 50s. They have more resistance than we think.
Eh, the way I see (most) anything drop dead within hours of crossing the invisible barrier around my house leads me to believe I have cause for concern. Better safe than sorry in my book.