WC terrestrial from Mindinao mountains Philippines

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
I’ll get some more pictures, but any clue of the species.

My Brother-in-law finds them under coconut bushes in the mountains.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter

Could he be pranking you or did someone release Brachypelma hamorii into the wild where they aren’t native?! Now there are many many tarantula species which I am unfamiliar with, but that does not look like any Old World species I’ve seen...

Last edited:

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
Could he be prancking you or did someone release Brachypelma hamorii into the wild where they aren’t native?! Now there are many many tarantula species which I am unfamiliar with, but that does not look like any Old World species I’ve seen...
My first thought was a Mexican species, but there really isn’t a market there for import species since there are so many native for free. (I had a run in with a 7” huntsman)

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
My first thought was a Mexican species, but there really isn’t a market there for import species since there are so many native for free. (I had a run in with a 7” huntsman)
I don’t believe that follows — there are many tarantulas native and inexpensive in the U.S. but still high demand for others from elsewhere for the variety of temperaments and colors, etc. I certainly wouldn’t assume that every would-be tarantula owner would wish to start wish Old World species or stick to native species exclusively (unless law prohibited otherwise, as in Australia).

In any case, hopefully someone more familiar with Philippine’s native T’s can make a more definitive ID. :)

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Do coconuts grow on bushes in the mountains? Sounds to me like someone is pulling a prank on you.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
There are bushes at the base of the trees. and if you look you can find these tarantulas. It is not an isolated example.

Not a prank.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
This is not an area where fed ex will overnight deliver, and there are not exotic pet stores. This species is established in the area.

It is a mountainous area with mostly farms.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
That’s... realllllyyyy strange. That’s absolutely not a native species, by any means. That’s a Brachypelma hamorii. Are you positive you aren’t getting :troll::troll::troll:?

If you’re certain this is legitament, I’d be interested to see if this is a freak instance of an escaped pet, or if they really are (and I can’t believe I’m actually saying this) establishing themselves as an exotic species. I’d want to see varying life stages and a considerable amount to even entertain that idea however.

Last edited:

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is not an area where fed ex will overnight deliver, and there are not exotic pet stores. This species is established in the area.

It is a mountainous area with mostly farms.
A distinct possibility which may not occur to everyone. Native? probably not. Established? quite possible.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
A distinct possibility which may not occur to everyone. Native? probably not. Established? quite possible.
I’m not finding the best info on native species in the area. If there was a good database we could eliminate them.

Unfortunately I won’t be able to research it myself for at least a year.

I’m looking at selenocosmia right now.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
I’m not finding the best info on native species in the area. If there was a good database we could eliminate them.

Unfortunately I won’t be able to research it myself for at least a year.

I’m looking at selenocosmia right now.
I can tell you with 100% confidence that is not a species native to the Philippines