WC Tarantulas, Parasites, and Dealer Protocols

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
There are many posts discussing the pros and cons of WC tarantulas. It is generally agreed that WC specimens (tarantulas or otherwise) carry a far greater risk of having parasites than CB specimens. It is also generally agreed that the best practice, if you are going to keep WC animals, is to quarantine them for a sufficient amount of time to ensure they are healthy before introducing them to the rest of your collection (which makes sense, and is the general protocol in the reptile hobby as well). My question is not about either of those principles.

Many of the large, respected tarantula dealers sell both CB and WC tarantulas. That got me wondering--do dealers use quarantine or other protocols (such as sterilizing tools) to help prevent the spread of parasites to their CB stock? Or, is the risk of such transfer low enough that they don't use such protocols, either because the stock isn't on hand long enough to be a significant risk, or the risk of parasite transfer, while real, is low enough that in the real world it's rarely an issue?

There doesn't seem to be a major problem with CB spiders having parasites despite this mixed stock, and so there must be an answer--I'm just ignorant as to what it would be.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Parasites can spread throughout the collection from WC specimens, but it doesn't spread as fast as most people think. It takes time, as parasites latch on to a host and usually try to feed off from their host as much as needed until it comes time to move on or things of that nature. I recommend that if you're buying any WC tarantula, you really just got to give it a good look around it to see if it has anything suspicious on it.

For me, I usually place anything WC I buy into a clear container and look around and underneath the specimen. Specifically any under-side joint area, chelicerae, or abdomen.

gabrieldezzi

Arachnosquire
Parasites can spread throughout the collection from WC specimens, but it doesn't spread as fast as most people think. It takes time, as parasites latch on to a host and usually try to feed off from their host as much as needed until it comes time to move on or things of that nature. I recommend that if you're buying any WC tarantula, you really just got to give it a good look around it to see if it has anything suspicious on it.

For me, I usually place anything WC I buy into a clear container and look around and underneath the specimen. Specifically any under-side joint area, chelicerae, or abdomen.
Can second this. Always pay attention to tarantulas you're buying ESPECIALLY if they're wild-caught. There was someone on this forum earlier last month who was looking at purchasing a T. stirmi/blondi and sent some pictures to the forum. The Theraphosa had a huge cyst on its abdomen and clearly was not healthy. Just be careful!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah sometimes you roll the dice and lose …3/4 of pet shop wc Ts lost of the 3 none made it a year. Doesn’t count the sick one that i Returned .
Other people had success , I only found one shop that even carried them. I couldn’t run quicker enough away…

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Some do, and I suspect some don't, just like any other hobby.

cold blood

Staff member
It is generally agreed that WC specimens (tarantulas or otherwise) carry a far greater risk of having parasites than CB specimens.
IMO the risk may be a little higher, sure, but its stilll absurdly low...not something I have personally ever seen in my 25 plus years.
It is also generally agreed that the best practice, if you are going to keep WC animals, is to quarantine them for a sufficient amount of time to ensure they are healthy before introducing them to the rest of your collection
I have never done this.

I dont see WC as a risk, I see them more as a blessing as they are fresh genes to add to the pool, which is often pretty lacking....adding new blood is just good for the health of the species from a breeder standpoint.

I can't answer your dealer/seller question, as I've only ever sold captive born specimens.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
There are many posts discussing the pros and cons of WC tarantulas. It is generally agreed that WC specimens (tarantulas or otherwise) carry a far greater risk of having parasites than CB specimens. It is also generally agreed that the best practice, if you are going to keep WC animals, is to quarantine them for a sufficient amount of time to ensure they are healthy before introducing them to the rest of your collection (which makes sense, and is the general protocol in the reptile hobby as well). My question is not about either of those principles.

Many of the large, respected tarantula dealers sell both CB and WC tarantulas. That got me wondering--do dealers use quarantine or other protocols (such as sterilizing tools) to help prevent the spread of parasites to their CB stock? Or, is the risk of such transfer low enough that they don't use such protocols, either because the stock isn't on hand long enough to be a significant risk, or the risk of parasite transfer, while real, is low enough that in the real world it's rarely an issue?

There doesn't seem to be a major problem with CB spiders having parasites despite this mixed stock, and so there must be an answer--I'm just ignorant as to what it would be.
Is there a risk? Always....but it's a low occurrence with external parasites. If it was common AB would be overloaded with post on it.

Nematodes are another issue. Last I read from a member here he had a sling death from a nematode infection confirmed after inspecting it under a microscope. It was a newer Asian arboreal being offered in the U.S. that was imported by a dealer.

Not all dealers advertise if some of their stock is WC. It is the buyer's responsibility to ask the dealer with that question or any others.

Not all keepers have microscopes and I wonder how many unexplained T deaths after receiving them might be linked to nematodes for one separated from other issues.

There's no way to tell unless confirmed positive or negative via microscope. That or if a T reaches adult and they become visible mainly from the mouth area. I wouldn't say it's a common occurrence but it happens. It also does not indicate the infected T is WC. Any T can be infected from another one when kept in close proximity.

Any keepers that have a large collection should have at least a stereo microscope. @viper69 I believe has one of the best microscopes a person can have. @AphonopelmaTX has a stereo microscope if I remember right from an older post.

I looked into a stereo microscope for myself. After I had some sling deaths after receiving them I would of liked to rule those kind of infections out. One of those slings were rare. I had some thrive and healthy while the others didn't make it long. I don't order from that breeder anymore.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is there a risk? Always....but it's a low occurrence with external parasites. If it was common AB would be overloaded with post on it.

Nematodes are another issue. Last I read from a member here he had a sling death from a nematode infection confirmed after inspecting it under a microscope. It was a newer Asian arboreal being offered in the U.S. that was imported by a dealer.

Not all dealers advertise if some of their stock is WC. It is the buyer's responsibility to ask the dealer with that question or any others.

Not all keepers have microscopes and I wonder how many unexplained T deaths after receiving them might be linked to nematodes for one separated from other issues.

There's no way to tell unless confirmed positive or negative via microscope. That or if a T reaches adult and they become visible mainly from the mouth area. I wouldn't say it's a common occurrence but it happens. It also does not indicate the infected T is WC. Any T can be infected from another one when kept in close proximity.

Any keepers that have a large collection should have at least a stereo microscope. @viper69 I believe has one of the best microscopes a person can have. @AphonopelmaTX has a stereo microscope if I remember right from an older post.

I looked into a stereo microscope for myself. After I had some sling deaths after receiving them I would of liked to rule those kind of infections out. One of those slings were rare. I had some thrive and healthy while the others didn't make it long. I don't order from that breeder anymore.
I don’t

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
You are correct. However, I have never seen parasites before in my collection which has had both captive bred/ born as well as wild caught individuals. Parasites such as nematodes are very rare.
I'll Drink to that.
And Knock On Wood.

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
Thanks very much to everyone for chiming in. I think the summary is that dealer protocols may differ, but the risk of parasites in WC specimens, while real, is very low, and the risk of transferring those parasites to an entire collection or stock is unlikely enough (whether because the incidence is low or they are just not that easy to spread) that it hasn't become an issue in the hobby; despite that I doubt very many dealers quarantine their WC stock from their CB stock, given how quickly some of these spiders turn over.