Watering reminder..

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Just going through basic maintenance the last few days and I noticed I had made a mistake.

One of my T. Sp union island cages was completely bone dry. This is not a species that does well dry.. let alone bone dry and in the process of molting. Luckily the spider survived and I watered asap.

EDIT: just wanted to add that these are 1/2" slings.

I have two other identical cages that were still in perfect shape, with the same species and ventilation. All next to each other.

This is a reminder that sometimes more than a cursory glance at the spiders before you go to sleep isn't enough. It pays to do a close inspection at least once or twice a week.

Happy keeping.

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
This is where I feel tarantulas can get taken for granted.

You'd never not make sure a dog, parrot, rodent wasn't looked after. Yet some feel T's are a pet that can be left or ignored.

Your post highlights the fact they can't.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I look in on mine daily. I don’t go nuts w feeding schedules, but I glance into the bigger t enclosures to make sure they have water. I have 50 tiny spiderlings in 2 oz containers that don’t get a water dish. I have to look in on them once a day to keep a spot moist, so that keeps me honest with all the t’s.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Just going through basic maintenance the last few days and I noticed I had made a mistake.

One of my T. Sp union island cages was completely bone dry. This is not a species that does well dry.. let alone bone dry and in the process of molting. Luckily the spider survived and I watered asap.

Happy keeping.
Good post at a good time. Mine is likely from the same baby bunch as yours from TarCan. Eating regularly until last week currently hanging out with a waxworm likes it's a friend. I am suspecting pre molt and important to keep the moisture up. Have yours molted lately? Mine has been a vicious feeder for a little sling.

Mine blends into the peat mix so well it's sometimes hard to keep tabs although it has been more aboreal and vertical lately.

Looking forward to adult stages and colours for this little fella.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Good post at a good time. Mine is likely from the same baby bunch as yours from TarCan. Eating regularly until last week currently hanging out with a waxworm likes it's a friend. I am suspecting pre molt and important to keep the moisture up. Have yours molted lately? Mine has been a vicious feeder for a little sling.

Mine blends into the peat mix so well it's sometimes hard to keep tabs although it has been more aboreal and vertical lately.

Looking forward to adult stages and colours for this little fella.
Aye, all three within a couple days of each other. I'd remove that feeder. Leaving feeders in for more than a day can be plain dangerous.

Yeah, part of the reason I put them in vials rather than deli cups.

Me too. Hear they're a nice purple.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Going to go check my Tapi's enclosure now. Possibly another sibling!

I watched it hunt down a wax moth the other evening, pretty awesome takedown.

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Excellent post and an fantastic heads-up to keepers to be a bit more diligent in their husbandry. I hear some folks say that they only check on their weekly (or less), a but so much can happen during that time. They're obviously a low-maintenance animal, but they still require attention and care. Great stuff! :)

EDIT: just wanted to add that these are 1/2" slings.

I have two other identical cages that were still in perfect shape, with the same species and ventilation. All next to each other.

This is a reminder that sometimes more than a cursory glance at the spiders before you go to sleep isn't enough. It pays to do a close inspection at least once or twice a week.

Happy keeping.

Deeser

Arachnosquire
Aye, all three within a couple days of each other.
Nice, are yours 4i now?

I got mine from TarCan on Aug. 10 at 2i, and moulted once toward end of August, but refused food yesterday, so hoping to get to 4i soon! She's a fatty.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I don't check all of my Ts every day. But I do check a few one day, a few the next, etc. It breaks it up a bit so it feels less monotonous.

But yes, just because tarantulas are very low-maintenance pets (on their own right, it's hard to say they're collectively low-maintenance when you've got 50+) doesn't mean that you can "sit it and forget it."

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Nice save! Watering is probably the most important thing to stay on top off with slings.

Especially with winter heading our way, space heaters can really dry out the air fast which means most enclosures don't retain the moisture as well.

It pays to be diligent and check up on all the slings nightly.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Nice, are yours 4i now?

I got mine from TarCan on Aug. 10 at 2i, and moulted once toward end of August, but refused food yesterday, so hoping to get to 4i soon! She's a fatty.
I'd assume so.:)

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Just wanted to update this as there isn't a ton of Union Island info.

Got my Tarcan sling end of August. Ate really well. Didn't molt until Nov 1, which felt like forever.

Then it gets interesting. Ate its first medium Phoenix worm on December 8. Then shed December 9. I was *very* surprised.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Just wanted to update this as there isn't a ton of Union Island info.

Got my Tarcan sling end of August. Ate really well. Didn't molt until Nov 1, which felt like forever.

Then it gets interesting. Ate its first medium Phoenix worm on December 8. Then shed December 9. I was *very* surprised.
Mine have grown very fast as well. Not sure if they've had three or four molts at this point, lost track. Got them as 1/2" freebies, their already starting to look like miniature adults.

Attachments