Watering device

Bumba

Arachnopeon
Has anyone come up with a good device (like with a long tube) to get water down to the bottom without disrupting everything? I'm thinking especially of my arboreal C versicolor and L violaceopes.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I just use a syringe. My plastic enclosures usually have a hole near the water dish so I can top water up without opening them.

Also, C. versicolor should be kept practically dry.

burnsj22

Arachnopeon
I second the syringe, it works really well to control where the water is going.

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
I use a standard turkey baster to fill up my water dishes without sticking my hands in the enclosure or taking the dishes out. They can also be used to puff air around and knock substrate out of the water. I'm lazy what can I say.

Sometimes I'll also use them to puff air through the walls of the cage to annoy the crickets into walking towards their doom.

valkyrie12310

Arachnopeon
I stole a clean mini test tube from the chem class at my school. It's thin and small, perfect for tapping out "rain" drops.

aphono

Arachnobaron
I really like the meat syringes. Holds a lot of water & the needle is thin enough to go through the holes so you can fill up several dishes in one go. I've used them with multiple holes in the needles to wet down the amblypygi enclosures(they hate hand sprayers so it's a nice alternative)

I use the smaller medicinal injectable syringe without the needle for the slings but the rubber part do get stuck after using a few times.. haven't found something I really like for watering slings yet.

buzz182

Arachnosquire
Has anyone come up with a good device (like with a long tube) to get water down to the bottom without disrupting everything? I'm thinking especially of my arboreal C versicolor and L violaceopes.
I use a syringe, pipettes and even turkey/meat baster for larger enclosures would work too.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Large syringe used near enclosure wall -- can soak an area of substrate throughly without making mud topside. I suppose a straw could be used with a syringe (to lengthen) if access is an issue (never tried with a straw though).

Syringes are also helpful with Ts who won't let you refill water dish easily -- esp the ones who drape the water dish at refill time, I can usually fit a stream of water into dish in spite of T draping with a well aimed syringe. Also, you can fit syringe tip through a slat on KK top for a really long-distance-refill (thinking of my G pulchripes here, he's a bit of a jerk and an escape artist when lid is removed).

Lilguy220

Arachnopeon
So what would you guys use if the dish is webbed up? Can you still fill it? (Defensive species so i dont want to put my hands in more then i have too ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
So what would you guys use if the dish is webbed up? Can you still fill it? (Defensive species so i dont want to put my hands in more then i have too ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Depends, if the edges of the dish are really webbed to the substrate it'll wick all the water into the substrate pretty quickly. You'd want to pull it out with some tongs, replace (or clean) the dish, and refill it. One of my GBBs webs the edges of the dish to the wall, I've noticed it doesn't wick out that way. I just rip a hole through the top of the webbing with my meat syringe and fill it back up.

With a long pair of tongs, there's no need to put your hands in any enclosure.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
So what would you guys use if the dish is webbed up? Can you still fill it?
I use long tongs to pull the webbing out of the dish and refill it. Granted, the only T I keep that webs up its dish is my N. incei.

I noticed you said it was for an OBT in another thread, if you set them up right then it should burrow rather than web (they're fossorial but people always seem to want to set them up like you would a GBB for some reason).

Edit: The only webbing my C. huahini (think a moisture-dependent OBT on steroids but this is another fossorial species that people try to set up like a GBB) put down was in or just outside her burrow.

View media item 49060

Lilguy220

Arachnopeon
I use long tongs to pull the webbing out of the dish and refill it. Granted, the only T I keep that webs up its dish is my N. incei.

I noticed you said it was for an OBT in another thread, if you set them up right then it should burrow rather than web (they're fossorial but people always seem to want to set them up like you would a GBB for some reason).

Edit: The only webbing my C. huahini (think a moisture-dependent OBT on steroids but this is another fossorial species that people try to set up like a GBB) put down was in or just outside her burrow.

View media item 49060
Thank you my good sir :D