Water Dish use and Gbb Juvenile setup

codicez

Arachnosquire
Hi guys! How are you?

I'm quite new in this hobby and I would like some information about a GBB juvenile that I got...

I had her since 2 months now, she molted once,approx 3 weeks ago...
I got a question regarding the water dish and enclosure setup...
I see mainly people keep them in a kind of " terrestrial "with a bit of cork/plants to let her webUp and water dish...

Now I keep mine in this enclosure, I never and repeat never see her on the " floor " or next to the water dish, she mainly stay in her hide or on the top of the corkbar, she basically has kind of tunnel that goes up ... I keep her enclosure dry and just fill up the water dish...
Today I just try to spray all around the web to see her reaction and after a minutes she came out her den and start to walk all over the area that I sprayd, web and glass, she seems to enjoy and drink that water...
Now my question is.. Should I keep her water dish where she use to hang,means on the top side of the enclosure? What s are your suggestion, I repeat that I never see her on the " ground " part of the enclosure where water dish is..
Here is a picture that I just took while she was out " drinkin " and of her " den " from the back

Many thanks for your response!

Attachments

WoofSpider

Arachnosquire
I have pretty much given up on keeping a water dish in my C. cyaneopubescens enclosure. A fresh and clear water dish gets webbed up, water wicked out, and is empty within a few hours.

Now I just drip some water on the webbing every few days. It's slightly more work than a water dish, but not by much.

EDIT: Also, I just took a look at your pictures and that enclosure seems a bit too tall for a GBB. If she falls while climbing on the top, it could lead to a nasty injury.

Last edited:

boina

Lady of the mites
Well, a GBB is a terrestrial species and you have it set up as an arboreal... obviously your tarantula has decided to go with it and live off the ground... probably because you didn't give her a hide on the ground. Again: This is a terrestrial species. Give her a hide on the ground and she will come down.

Do NOT spray water all over the web. You have a glass enclosure with little ventilation and GBBs die rather quickly in high humidity. If you wnat to give your spider extra water just place a few drops on her web. That's plenty to drink for her.

And furthermore, your spider may go down for a drink when everything is quiet and dark and you will never notice.

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
Actually GBB isn't typical terrestrial, sometimes if it have lot of anchor points it will make web hammock and will hang out in top parts of enclosure. Mine never used hide, always sits on top.
I keep mine without water dish, just spray web a little bit from time to time, I guess this is how they drink in natural habitat.

codicez

Arachnosquire
I have pretty much given up on keeping a water dish in my C. cyaneopubescens enclosure. A fresh and clear water dish gets webbed up, water wicked out, and is empty within a few hours.

Now I just drip some water on the webbing every few days. It's slightly more work than a water dish, but not by much.

EDIT: Also, I just took a look at your pictures and that enclosure seems a bit too tall for a GBB. If she falls while climbing on the top, it could lead to a nasty injury.
Well, a GBB is a terrestrial species and you have it set up as an arboreal... obviously your tarantula has decided to go with it and live off the ground... probably because you didn't give her a hide on the ground. Again: This is a terrestrial species. Give her a hide on the ground and she will come down.

Do NOT spray water all over the web. You have a glass enclosure with little ventilation and GBBs die rather quickly in high humidity. If you wnat to give your spider extra water just place a few drops on her web. That's plenty to drink for her.

And furthermore, your spider may go down for a drink when everything is quiet and dark and you will never notice.
I don't think my enclosure is set up as " ARBOREAL " ... is a cube and got plenty of space to hide on the ground and to climb... she decide to create her den in " hammock style " on the "ground" but she always climb and been on the glass/top of the corkbar rather than stay on the floor.
If you see at this picture you will see that at bottom,where she webbed and also create her hammock she got space so why don t she just stay on the floor? . I think she got plenty of option,so she decided to go that way or I am wrong?

Attachments

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Try a taller dish and don't put any anchor points near it, had to do that with my GBB and N. incei to stop them from webbing their dishes over.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Now my question is.. Should I keep her water dish where she use to hang,means on the top side of the enclosure? What s are your suggestion, I repeat that I never see her on the " ground " part of the enclosure where water dish is..
I would keep the water dish unless your GBB makes it too much of a hassle (by constantly webbing over it).

During the year-and-a-half I've had my GBB, the water dish has been the only source of water (besides prey). I have never seen him drink from his water dish, but I assume he must be doing so when no one's around. (He spends most of this time in his web.)

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Agreed. GBBs aren’t regular old terrestrials. They love to climb and they dont well. I typically set mine up actually somewhat similar to @codicez, where there is plenty of floor space but it slopes up. Mine aren’t quite as steep though.

As @The Grym Reaper said, put the water dish all by itself with nothing around it and there is much less chance of it webbing it up.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I would keep the water dish unless your GBB makes it too much of a hassle (by constantly webbing over it).

During the year-and-a-half I've had my GBB, the water dish has been the only source of water (besides prey). I have never seen him drink from his water dish, but I assume he must be doing so when no one's around. (He spends most of this time in his web.)
Just for you:

3C17DA14-4DA1-46F8-9C02-2225C8BE76D2.jpeg

Full disclosure, this was a MM that had just been shipped to me and reshoused about 10 min earlier.

dianemarie

Arachnopeon
Without telling me off, can anyone offer advice on my enclosure? She molted once already, and takes down small crickets fron 156310180279038787103.jpg 15631019115132020718018.jpg t and back shown

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Without telling me off, can anyone offer advice on my enclosure? She molted once already, and takes down small crickets front and back shown
I'd replace the hide with more anchor points for webbing; GBBs make their own hides (with webbing).

I always provided a water dish for mine, and I even saw him drink from it on a couple of occasions.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I see no point in providing a small bottlecap or tge likes when it very quickly getd webbed over! I luke to spray 2-3 times oer week instead. Have worked better for me