1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water crystals for centipedes

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by vyadha, May 3, 2019.

1. vyadha

vyadha Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    We these safe for pedes as a way to help keep substrate moist?

2. MasterOogway

MasterOogway Arachnosquire Active Member

Just stick with water. No need to use crystals for literally anything, ever. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. vyadha

vyadha Arachnosquire

I’m going out if town for a week in late June. It’s oretty dry where i live. Looking for a way to keep the moisture up for my piecoflava

4. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

I don't know about that species, but I have Scolopendra heros, S. polymorpha, and S. dehaani. When I've had to go out of town for a week or so, I just water a little heavier than usual (fill and overflow the water dish, so the sub is pretty moist on that side of the cage) then set something on top of the screen so it's partly covered, reducing ventilation (and moisture loss) a bit, but not blocking the ventilation entirely. So far, I haven't had any problems.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoking Active Member

CA
    They will be fine. Moisten the substrate more than usual before you go. Cover some ventilation holes if you feel you need to. It’ll be moist when you come back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

A week isn't that much anyway a good trick for keep the substrate moistness on the medium/long term is to add a good 'tea spoon' of vermiculite (I use the fine grain only) in the substrate (when you prepare the set up, I mean), mixing well that. Works 100% :pompous:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1