Water Bowl Guests

NepenthesA

Arachnopeon
I was wondering if anyone could identify these little guys living in my scolopendra subsipinipes' water bowl? I have isopods and sprintails in her enclosure, if that would give any clue. I also feed her crickets and mealworms. I could easily dump them out, but I would not want to rid myself of isopod/springtail larvae if that is the case, and if it is a pest, should I worry about any of them being in my substrate?

Anyway, I'll attach a picture.

Thanks! -Adam

Attachments

NepenthesA

Arachnopeon
Also, I know the bowl is dirty, these guys are the reason I haven't cleaned it yet. Just want to stave off the question preemptively.

Serpyderpy

Arachnosquire
At first I would say mites, but mites cannot usually live in water and drown. Are they alive in there, and wriggling, or are they just floating? I don't know about springtail larvae too much but I would say that your best bet is either springtail larvae in the water or mites that have gone in there and drowned. Mites usually are harmless and every single enclosure has some species of tiny mite running around in some capacity or another.

It's either that or centipede poop. Is your centi mite free?

TreebeardGoddess

Arachnosquire
I can't quite tell from your picture, but it looks similar to what I have in my Scuti enclosure. They jump around and also live in the soil, so I thought they were springtails.

NepenthesA

Arachnopeon
At first I would say mites, but mites cannot usually live in water and drown. Are they alive in there, and wriggling, or are they just floating? I don't know about springtail larvae too much but I would say that your best bet is either springtail larvae in the water or mites that have gone in there and drowned. Mites usually are harmless and every single enclosure has some species of tiny mite running around in some capacity or another.

It's either that or centipede poop. Is your centi mite free?
They are moving around on top of the water, so I do not think it is poop. In that case, I would assume they are also not mites. Is it safe to assume springtail larvae then?

Thanks for your time and help,
Adam

Last edited:

NepenthesA

Arachnopeon
I can't quite tell from your picture, but it looks similar to what I have in my Scuti enclosure. They jump around and also live in the soil, so I thought they were springtails.
Yeah its looking like they are most likely springtails. They never jump, but I found 1-2 other threads about the same thing, with springtails being the answer. Can I just dump them in the tank? Or wait in case they are larvae?

Thanks for your time and help,
Adam

NepenthesA

Arachnopeon
So, what is the opinion? Should I dump out the bowl and let the organisms into the substrate? Also, yes, the centipede is mite free from what I can tell.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You're going to have to get in closer for an ID, they look like small fly larvae in the pic you posted. If you have some kind of magnifier and look like worms, they are small fly maggots, maybe phorid fly maggots. If so it wouldn't be a typical place for the to be and fell in somehow.

TreebeardGoddess

Arachnosquire
If they seem to spring about and not wriggle around then they sound like mine. I just leave them alone. There always seem to be a few in the water dish but most of them are in the soil now.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Those are likely harmless adult springtails. They enjoy making themselves into a raft on water, where they feed on microscopic debris on the surface tension.

NepenthesA

Arachnopeon
Wow! I cannot describe how pleasantly surprised I am, first time using the forum, thanks for the loads of help! I am pretty sure they are springtail at this point, from what you guys have said. (Ill post a closer up pic anyway) So it should be fine if I just dump the water bowl contents back into the soil, right? If there is a better solution please let me know, but I feel I should clean the bowl soon. Thank you all!

Attachments

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Wow! I cannot describe how pleasantly surprised I am, first time using the forum, thanks for the loads of help! I am pretty sure they are springtail at this point, from what you guys have said. (Ill post a closer up pic anyway) So it should be fine if I just dump the water bowl contents back into the soil, right? If there is a better solution please let me know, but I feel I should clean the bowl soon. Thank you all!
Yes, dumping the sprigs into the soil will not harm any creature involved. Alternatively, you could use a small plastic quart container, add 2-3 inches of soil or 4-5 inches of horticultural charcoal, moisten it, add the springtails, and you will soon have a colony of these that can be harvested and used to populate terrariums, where they will reduce mites and other pests by eating microscopic debris.

NepenthesA

Arachnopeon
Yes, dumping the sprigs into the soil will not harm any creature involved. Alternatively, you could use a small plastic quart container, add 2-3 inches of soil or 4-5 inches of horticultural charcoal, moisten it, add the springtails, and you will soon have a colony of these that can be harvested and used to populate terrariums, where they will reduce mites and other pests by eating microscopic debris.
Thanks! I already have a colony, but if they gather again, I just might start another one! Thanks for all the good advice. I actually added springtails into the tank, as I had said in my original post, but I wanted to male sure it was them in the water bowl. I am going to dump them out for now then.