Wanted: Honey Pot Ants

Fini

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm wanting to setup an antfarm enclosure for honey pot ants, but I don't have any. They should be available practically anywhere in the south/southwest.

Anyone interested in collecting a colony for me? I'll pay!

Thanks.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just a heads up for you but transporting ant queens across state lines is illegal and ants ARE watched by the USDA/APHIS. We dont need any more introduced species whether US natives or not.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well i dont see any problem arnt honey-pots found in southern CA?
to be honest, i don't see a problem either.
i think that most animals would go after something as prescious as honey ants
i doubt that they are a pest species. they sounded more like something rare to me.

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
there still is a problem of transporting a queen across state lines if i was(an i may very well be) wrong

Fini

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I'm certainly glad this came up. I wasn't aware of the legal issues around ants, though I can certainly understand the concern.

Perhaps this it's best that I attempt the collection myself.

If there's anyone is SoCal that know where to locate some, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks.

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Myrmecocystus mexicanus is found in CA around arid regions and the fringes of deserts so try there

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I read that someone was collecting honeypots in Arizona and needed a backhoe to get to the whole colony. So collecting it yourself may not be easy.

If you're just interested in getting a few repletes for a snack, there's probably somewhere you can buy them . . . but damned if I can find it.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You'd have to collect the freshly dealated queens....which could mean a road trip to Socal.

auroborus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
or you could put the queen on one side of the state line and have her scuttle over the line to the other state, lol. that way she did it herself.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've thought about that . . . wonder if APHIS would still get upset. :D