1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to own T, can't keep roaches or crickets, other feeder options?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Ser Halo, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Advertisement
    I might be told that if I can't keep roaches or cricket feeders then I shouldn't get a T, which I agree with right now. I'd just like to ask if there are other viable feeder options out there. I'm under my parent's roof for the next year and have been itching for my first tarantula for what feels like forever but the household is incredibly strict about roaches and crickets (pretty much the main staple of any insectivorous hobby, yaay).

I've heard of darklings, but have also read they aren't very successful as feeders. I've also heard of sun beetles, but very little information on how well they work as feeders.

2. bulbophyllum

bulbophyllum Arachnopeon

Meal worms and super worms are what I would go with if I were you. They are a fine diet for a spider. There are lots of different feeders out there these days.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  3. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Unless you have a lot of ts...like over 40, a feeder colony would be ridiculous. Ts dont eat that frequently, you could go to the store and buy crickets a couple times a month.

Superworms and mealworms are great options, too...mealies can be kept in the fridge for up to 6 moths and are cheap ad easy to find.

Darkling beetles aren't the best...but they are actually the adult form of the super worm...which are great feeders.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
  4. Ah, thank you for the information. I actually keep plenty of mealworms for another pet, but I've heard mixed about them as a potential feeder for Ts. If you and other people say they work though! Do you personally have success for meals and supers? Or perhaps know people?

5. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

I use both regularly...and also mix in wax worms ad the occasional earth worm, too. Ts aren't usually all that picky...

20190726_213902.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. JPG

JPG Arachnosquire Active Member

Canada
    I agree with cold blood, mealworm is probably my go to since it can be kept in fridge for a while and easy to breed.
    I do also keep cricket for the varieties though (roach illegal in canada)

7. TriMac33

TriMac33 Arachnopeon Active Member

Mealworms are a good way to go. I have 1 T who is fussy with them and actually prefers them when they're freshly molted into beetle form. They're easy to cut up too, for slings.

8. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

Mealworms and superworms are staple diet for my spiders actually :) they last longer, don't smell so icky and don't need much in terms of food. And they don't make noise, that's a plus.
    Be sure to pinch and crush the heads/mandibles before you feed them though, they are capable of doing a lot of damage to a moulting spider. They'll still wriggle and attract the spider after you do that :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Asgiliath

Asgiliath Arachnoknight Active Member

Because it hasn’t been mentioned, mealworms are great but also super fast burrowers!

After I had to sift through all of my stirmi’s sub to get one out, I started crushing the heads before feeding. They will still wiggle and trigger a feeding response. Just my preference, though.

Reason it’s concerning is that they will eventually re-emerge as Darkling beetles and those can eat a molting T.

10. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

You need to get a big cup of coffee, because:
    ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Crosscountry

Crosscountry Arachnopeon

NJ, USA
    I only have one T and I go to the pet store and buy two - three crickets when I think I need them. Very cheap and easy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Flashback

Flashback Arachnosquire

This is what I do as well. I only have one T, so very couple of weeks, I'll stop by Petco & pick up a couple of crickets.

• Like Like x 1
  13. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

Besides roaches, they're the only other feeders I use.

Mealworms are great for slings/small juvies, they are extremely easy to keep and breed, just stick them in a well vented tub with a 2" layer of wheat bran, if you want to slow down their growth rates and stop them from pupating then you can keep them in the fridge.

Supers are great for larger juvies/adults, again, just stick them in a tub with wheat bran and you're good, you can't put these in the fridge as it'll kill them but they last for months and they only pupate if separated from the others anyway.

14. CommanderBacon

CommanderBacon Arachnosquire Active Member

Honestly, I have a small mealworm colony that I accidentally started and I am trying to start a morio super worm colony, but I hate crickets so I much I used to just get exactly how many individual crickets I needed at Petco, take those home, and feed them to my spiders immediately because:

1. The crickets almost always die before I get my money's worth if I try to keep them for more than a few days.
    2. Crickets staaaaank.
    3. Crickets are noisy and I hate them.

Now that I have too many tarantulas to buy them individually without it being a huge pain in the butt, I just get a big bunch of dubias and a tub of super worms that last me a week or so. Sometimes, if my slings aren't into the mealworms, I will pick up a small bag of XS crickets and freeze them, which was a tip a breeder friend gave me and it has been a life saver.

It's a pity that you can't have roaches because they are quiet and dubias aren't stinky, but mealworms and super worms keep great. You can also turn the mealworms into a protein powder, if you're not squeamish.