Wall-mounted terrarium?

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Has anyone ever seen or attempted to make a wall-mounted terrarium? I was wondering if it would be possible to make one for an arboreal T.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I know that Petko aka The Dark Den has a wall mounted enclosure. You can try contacting him.

Marvinxox

Arachnoknight
I´d suggest that you use an IKEA BJÖRNARP-display box.
They are made of clear acrylic, come with wall-mounting acessoires and can easily be modified to fit your needs.
They are rather small though, so you should use them for small species like A. minatrix or for subadult specimens.

But bigger wall-mounted Terrariums should also be makable, if you consider the weight the terrarium will have and the right material to use.

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
I’ve seen the dark den guys thing....and I just realized. If you make one like that make sure u can take it off the wall easy to rehouse the T or there’s a good chance it’s gonna splat on the wall

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I´d suggest that you use an IKEA BJÖRNARP-display box.
They are made of clear acrylic, come with wall-mounting acessoires and can easily be modified to fit your needs.
They are rather small though, so you should use them for small species like A. minatrix or for subadult specimens.

But bigger wall-mounted Terrariums should also be makable, if you consider the weight the terrarium will have and the right material to use.
Any thoughts about the Ikea BARKHYTTAN ? Appears to be 10X10X6.

Marvinxox

Arachnoknight
Any thoughts about the Ikea BARKHYTTAN ? Appears to be 10X10X6.
As far as I´ve seen in my local Ikea, the BARKHYTTAN isn´t as solid as the BJÖRNARP, but it still might work.
The difference is that the framing is made of steel and the windows seem to be a bit thinner.
It might still work out nice, but you would need to add a small wall to keep substrate inside.
And I think it might not be as easy to keep the moisture inside, but maybe I´m wrng with this,
If done right it would surely be very decorative and something like a young C. cyaneopubescens might enjoy it a lot.
So... yeah, could work quite nice.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
As far as I´ve seen in my local Ikea, the BARKHYTTAN isn´t as solid as the BJÖRNARP, but it still might work.
The difference is that the framing is made of steel and the windows seem to be a bit thinner.
It might still work out nice, but you would need to add a small wall to keep substrate inside.
And I think it might not be as easy to keep the moisture inside, but maybe I´m wrng with this,
If done right it would surely be very decorative and something like a young C. cyaneopubescens might enjoy it a lot.
So... yeah, could work quite nice.
What I have seen with arboreal enclosures like this that might have front-only opening is to use a substrate "tray" of some type, so you can just pull it out as needed rather than using the bottom of the enclosure. Certainly much cleaner and easier that way.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
I've been googling acrylic displays and terrariums, but everything I see is either not appropriate for housing a large T or it's not minimalist enough. I'll have to make one myself I suppose.

Edit: Actually, this one is pretty good, albeit pricey.

Last edited:

Marvinxox

Arachnoknight
What I have seen with arboreal enclosures like this that might have front-only opening is to use a substrate "tray" of some type, so you can just pull it out as needed rather than using the bottom of the enclosure. Certainly much cleaner and easier that way.
Question would be, if it still would look as good when it has a tray installed.
If it´s an arboreal that doesnt use any substrate, then you could just use none and glue anchoring points for its web to the sides, that would give it a very aesthetic and clean look

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Question would be, if it still would look as good when it has a tray installed.
If it´s an arboreal that doesnt use any substrate, then you could just use none and glue anchoring points for its web to the sides, that would give it a very aesthetic and clean look
Yeah, or perhaps a bit of moss at the bottom for some cushioning and humidity.

What would be the best way to securely anchor it while still allowing it to be taken down without much hassle? Hanging it, or building a clear acrylic shelf of some sort?