Walking a mile in the shoes of a tarantula.. How do you see the tarantula?

smoothie4l

Arachnopeon
A dog believes we are god, they worship us. Cats believe THEY are god, they look down on us. A rat sees us as an equal, they believe we are all the same (although a baby would run away from you at first) .

But what do Tarantulas think of us, I spend a lot of my time researching animals and their behaviours. But the tarantula puzzles me, maybe all species are different? Tell me what you guys think, maybe you might look at your arachnid different... :worship:

Mez

Arachnoknight
A dog believes we are god, they worship us. Cats believe THEY are god, they look down on us. A rat sees us as an equal, they believe we are all the same (although a baby would run away from you at first) .

But what do Tarantulas think of us, I spend a lot of my time researching animals and their behaviours. But the tarantula puzzles me, maybe all species are different? Tell me what you guys think, maybe you might look at your arachnid different... :worship:
None of this has been proved and that's nothing more than your opinion.
Tarantulas don't think of you as anything, they only know the vibrations etc we create. They rely on built-in instincts.

Bumblingbear

Arachnopeon
I don't think tarantulas are smart enough to see us as anything.

I love T's, but they're just bugs.

You won't see a T solving a puzzle maze anytime soon like a rat, dog, or cat can.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
i beleave the old worlds are kinda like an annoying room mate cant be nice to each other but deal with it ;P

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd pay money to see a tarantula solve a maze.
Well, of my three new H. lividum slings, one found the pre-made burrow in its new home immediately. The next one took about 24 hours to 'discover' it. (They're in 1" diameter vials, didn't need to look far.) Number three took almost 48 hours... I think #1 wins the survivor challenge.:)

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm sure it's just coincidence, but I swear my B. Emilia knows that if she comes to the front of her enclosure and puts front legs up on glass she'll get fed...lol. Ok, she might not "know" anything, but I definitely think it's a learned behavior from repeated feedings while she's in that position. It's like a fisherman knowing the best fishing hole...lol.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i know exactly what ya mean newspidermom. my 1st t did that all the time.... he knew how to get fed lol.....then again he was a parahybana and it WAS ALWAYS feedin time ..... i remember when i used to have a 7' Burmese python he had his certain feeding time rituals.. i could put my hand in the cage anytime i wanted and he was a gentle giant. when id open the tank and maneuver him with a stick he knew food was comin

Kendage

Arachnopeon
A dog doesn't believe we're god, a dog believes we're the "Pack leader" or the "Alpha male" perse, they're born and raised under human care, and being mammals, and pack animals, they consider you as their "Family".

A cat doesn't look down on you, they love you, they only show it in a different sense, they're more "Independant" animals, while dogs are pack animals.. Do you see a difference here? I don't even believe animals actually have any religion whatsoever, because there's no conspiracies to be made by them.. Just my opinion.

As Mez has already said, they don't see you as a god, they rely on their own instincts built into them, and only know you as a threat that may want to eat them, that's all.

Mez

Arachnoknight
i know exactly what ya mean newspidermom. my 1st t did that all the time.... he knew how to get fed lol.....then again he was a parahybana and it WAS ALWAYS feedin time ..... i remember when i used to have a 7' Burmese python he had his certain feeding time rituals.. i could put my hand in the cage anytime i wanted and he was a gentle giant. when id open the tank and maneuver him with a stick he knew food was comin
This is not the same. Snakes, even in the wild, stick to a feeding schedule within reason, tarantulas are opportunistic and will take prey whenever they can. Your burn knows its feeding time because it knows when you hook it out its the same routine, smells etc, Ts don't understand this. A t won't bite you and start trying to feed on you because you smell of cricket. Different senses are being used here.

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

I'm sure it's just coincidence, but I swear my B. Emilia knows that if she comes to the front of her enclosure and puts front legs up on glass she'll get fed...lol. Ok, she might not "know" anything, but I definitely think it's a learned behavior from repeated feedings while she's in that position. It's like a fisherman knowing the best fishing hole...lol.
Or look at it this way. Every now and then the T strolls around and rests its leg on a flat surface, you see the T, so you feed it.
Try not feeding it for a month or two, see if it starts walking looking for food or see if it rests its legs on the glass.
The only animal i have seen solve a rubix cube is a Stomatopod, and they don't know they are doing it, they turn it in their maxillipedes trying to find the weak point.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
a dog believes we are the leaders or higher ups of the pack.

but yeah, T's view us as a HUGE predator, and some are more than willing to balls up and strike us.