Waiting for my P. Metallica to molt.

Samuel Broude

Arachnopeon
How much longer would you guess it will take for my P. Metallica to molt? She is about 1.5 inches kept in a room that consists of 70-74 degrees Fahrenheit with a humidity relatively high due to the fact that I live in Florida and I mist her 32oz deli cup once a week and I keep a water bowl in there as well. Her last molt was recorded on 1/3/18. I thought she was in premolt because she refused a cricket for the first time (I normally feed her once a week) in my care but when I tried to feed her again about 2 weeks later she ate. Any thoughts on this?? Thank you!

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
How much longer would you guess it will take for my P. Metallica to molt?
Do you happen to have a photo of the spider and the enclosure? There are a lot of factors that figure into moulting rates. At that size, moults should be pretty frequent, but 6 weeks isn't that long. A sling that size I would feed more frequently than once a week, but if it's a large meal that could be sufficient.

Do you have any large fluctuations in temperature? You mention frequent misting, which I'd expect not to be required if the ambient humidity is already high. Is there adequate ventilation?

Edited some formatting from the original post.

Last edited:

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
Almost all of my T's molt once a month until about 3.5" so once a month give or take a bit. But once a week for food could slow it down. If you're impatient jump up temps and feed more.

Samuel Broude

Arachnopeon
Do you happen to have a photo of the spider and the enclosure? There are a lot of factors that figure into moulting rates. At that size, moults should be pretty frequent, but 6 weeks isn't that long. A sling that size I would feed more frequently than once a week, but if it's a large meal that could be sufficient.

Do you have any large fluctuations in temperature? You mention frequent misting, which I'd expect not to be required if the ambient humidity is already high. Is there adequate ventilation?

Edited some formatting from the original post.
Thank you for your comment. I only mist half the cup it's in once a week for added hopes of hydrating the little fellow and the cup has well ventilation on the top and sides. And yes I know it's in a Dunkin' Donuts cup lol it's temporary until it molts!

Attachments

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
Wait, no. I remember the one P.metallica I bought went a quite a while before molting (2 months). I think it was because the day I bought her it was very cold (-10 at least) and it was in my backpack. I think the cold teamed with the travel has stressed it immensely. This could've been the reason. Has your undergone anything that may have caused stress lately?

Samuel Broude

Arachnopeon
Wait, no. I remember the one P.metallica I bought went a quite a while before molting (2 months). I think it was because the day I bought her it was very cold (-10 at least) and it was in my backpack. I think the cold teamed with the travel has stressed it immensely. This could've been the reason. Has your undergone anything that may have caused stress lately?
Not to my knowledge no, I normally don't do anything other than make sure my T's have what they need and feeding time.