Vivarium for A. Gigas

Halezii95

Arachnopeon
Hello! I am hoping to make a pretty vivarium for my A. Gigas and I am not really sure where to start. I was hoping to have live plants but I don't know what kinds are acceptable. Does anyone have any resources I could take a look at or any advice?

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
They will try and eat and climb most plants.
This is purely anecdotal, but mine don't seem interested in healthy Sansevieria, Bromeliads, or Boston ferns.
I also had a spider plant in with them for a while, but it was hard containing its roots.
Small ferns, like rabbit's foot, and soft-bodied plants, like Philodendrons, Begonia, Lillies will get eaten.
I haven't tried Potho's, I'm still not sure how safe they are.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
The best advice I can give you, is to read, read and read about the H. Gigas habitat, plants, substrate, climate... etc. And after this, make your vivarium.

Check my vivarium build thread, you can take some ideas for plants etc.

Imho, the best plants that you can put in the enclosure are the Chamaedorea Elegans, any bromeliad specie, eg I like Cryptanthus, Hawaii Crespo fern or Hedera Helix. They don't need any special care and look awesome.

If you want live moss, Vesicularia Dubyana grows pretty fast, the only downside it's that they need to stay moist to grow.

In the last page you have the measurements of the enclosure, if you want to build your own glass vivarium too.

Last edited:

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer

Imho, the best plants that you can put in the enclosure are the Chamaedorea Elegans, any bromeliad specie, eg I like Cryptanthus, Hawaii Crespo fern or Hedera Helix. They don't need any special cares and look awesome.

If you want live moss, Vesicularia Dubyana grows pretty fast, the only downside it's that they need to stay moist to grow.

In the last page you have the measurements of the enclosure, if you want to build your own glass vivarium too.
From what I understand millipedes are known to eat the foam backgrounds (from reading I've done here and on other forums)

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
From what I understand millipedes are known to eat the foam backgrounds (from reading I've done here and on other forums)
Ooh, yeah.. A. gigas will eat any exposed foam if you're going to make a background. Mine started eating the default exo-terra foam background even.
I wouldn't recommend a background though, as A. gigas are heavy and clumsy.

Halezii95

Arachnopeon
The best advice I can give you, is to read, read and read about the H. Gigas habitat, plants, substrate, climate... etc. And after this, make your vivarium.

Imho, the best plants that you can put in the enclosure are the Chamaedorea Elegans, any bromeliad specie, eg I like Cryptanthus, Hawaii Crespo fern or Hedera Helix. They don't need any special care and look awesome.

Wow! Thanks 😊

Halezii95

Arachnopeon
Ooh, yeah.. A. gigas will eat any exposed foam if you're going to make a background. Mine started eating the default exo-terra foam background even.
I wouldn't recommend a background though, as A. gigas are heavy and clumsy.
Yeah, one of mine tried to scale the enclosure walls day one. No worries I won’t use foam. I also really like the openness having no backgrounds provide.