1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virgin T Owner expecting my first and its a GBB

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by GeekFIxUk, Jul 8, 2019.

1. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    C. cyaneopubescens is a terrestrial species and this enclosure is only suitable for large arboreals (I wouldn't house anything smaller than an adult female P. cambridgei in one).

You'd be better off getting a medium plastic faunaruim for now and then housing in a 30x30x30 glass (you'll need to replace/cover the mesh in the lid if you do this) once it's closer to adult size.

2. GeekFIxUk

GeekFIxUk Arachnopeon Active Member

Thanks, great video and ironically im actually german just live in england so i can understand it perfectly hehehe. Thanks again for taking the time to find it.

Thanks @Thekla and @The Grym Reaper Ill take what you said and see what i can work with :)

I think ive found a solution without having to purchase another enclosure. Annoyingly enough i had original actually ordered a 20x20x20 but all i found regarding enclosure size was 1.5x max legspan, realising she could grow to 15cm i thought it would be too small and got them to go to the next size up before shipping. Rats! My fault though. However as the enclosure just arrived it looks like i could put a further 10cm high acrylic piece on the front allowing me to add 20cm of substrate. Would 25cm height be workable? Regarding the mesh lid, that is already being resolved with a 4mm acrylic sheet ill use to replace the mesh, add vent holes and will probably add 2 hinges on the front 1/3rd of it to allow me to ltop load when feeding. Sound good?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2019 at 5:41 AM
  3. Thekla

Thekla Arachnoangel Active Member

I wouldn't raise the substrate level in that Exo Terra. For one, you'll block the ventilation in the front, and secondly, it might still be too big for your little one.

Can't you just give it back? Get yourself a cheap plastic container (a "really useful box" for example) in the right size for now and then you've got all the time in the world to figure out what adult enclosure you're gonna get for her. ;)

It's a pity, the nano one would've been perfect for now. ;)

4. Kitara

Kitara Arachnosquire Active Member

US
    Ha. That is exactly what I was thinking. If there was a way to block off the front. Since you are making the top door I thought maybe just block off the front doors so the sub cant push them open. I saw those enclosures at the reptile shop and they seem to latch pretty well.

I was looking for a 20x20x20 and couldn't find anything. I emailed a place about a custom build. What brand was it? Maybe I can find it on this side of the pond. I have a bunch of friends at Mildenhall so maybe I could have them ship it to me. I really want that size, but by the time I get it I will need another upgrade LOL.

5. GeekFIxUk

Hey @Kitara and @Thekla , unfortunately return postage for an item of this size is freaking expensive but dont worry, the vent holes at the front i have also thought of. Spoke to a glass window manufacturer down the road and for literally £3 they said they cut down a scrap piece of glass down to 29cm wide and 14cm tall, they will also bevel the edges so they are nice and smooth and not sharp! looking at the vent holes, they are below the door and from the inside they are on top not behind so i will fit the glass just below the vent holes inside and 1mm back from it so the air can come through and rise up the front. Also with the acrylic lid that im replacing the mesh with i will put plenty of vent holes in the top and ive gone for the idea of making the front 1/3rd of the acryllic a full opening hinge door. Even better ive been lucky, the top of the terrarium as 4 rotating locking latches that i can use to lock the lid door when not in use so no escaping. Ive added a photo of the latch and a scan of the idea for the lid.

Attached Files:

6. Thekla

Thekla Arachnoangel Active Member

Boah! Wat fürn Aufriss! :jawdrop::hilarious::p Sorry. :oops:

I would still use a smaller enclosure for now until your GBB gets bigger and maybe try to sell the Exo Terra.

I had mine in a 15 cm cube when she was around that size:
    20181003_064026.jpg GBB_juvie enclosure 2.jpg

Self-made with acrylic sheets, very cheap. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Kitara

US
    OK OK OK. I can do this too. I found this acrylic box that's 15x15x15 (or should I get 20x20x20? Hmmmmm). Just have to put my big girl pants on and drill some vent holes. Easy peasy right? Now just need to make sure I have the right drill bit so I don't shatter it.
    Capture.PNG

• Like Like x 1
  8. GeekFIxUk

Hey Im not cheap just german and efficient :) :p
    Acrylic 4mm thick on top as i can work with that, whereas glass i haven't worked with before and don't want to break it with all the holes i would want to drill. I've gone for glass on the front as a window maker down the road cut it and bevelled it (just picked it up now) to raise the substrate substantially. I'm probably gonna get shot for this but I'm going to take a gamble on the the height of 21cm that remains. I measured the internal height of the terrarium and it was actually 42-43cms.

9. GeekFIxUk

Nice one! Looking good. If i recall drilling acrylic,put some masking tape where drilling, use a HSS metal drill bit and go slow, not snail slow but don't go full speed otherwise the acrylic may melt from the friction. Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Killertut

Killertut Arachnosquire Active Member

Germany
    as the others said, get a smaller, temporary enclosure and try to get a 30x30x30cm enclosure once the GBB is adult.

greetings from its sister (purchased last year as an unsexed sling)

• Like Like x 1
  11. GeekFIxUk

@Kitara perspex lid is done, how's your design coming along? On a side note anyone have any suggestions on how to dry out my peat/coco fibre mix, it's been drying 4 days and getting better but taking ages lol

Attached Files:

12. Kitara

US
    Looks good!
    I haven't ordered it yet. I had to go out of town in business and they didnt respond to my email so I never got it done. I just got back into town so I finally have some time.

13. GeekFIxUk

Fair enough, life and work comes first otherwise we can't pay for our baby's! I'm so excited and it's still 6 days away till she arrives, I'm like a child lol

Guess I'll have to tell you what I've gone for a name too lol, I've gone on a play on words for Misty and gone for MissTy hehehe. What do you think?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mvtt70

Mvtt70 Arachnobaron Active Member

Not true though strictly speaking, Tom Moran is definitely a good example of a YT personality/educator.

Also I wouldn't put a GBB in an Exo Terra Tall, it'd be better off in a 5 gallon long from my experience though I know some do try to keep them somewhat arboreally...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Mvtt70

Mvtt70 Arachnobaron Active Member

Definitely would recommend a cheap soldering kit off Amazon for like $10 to make vent holes, way easier than the drill trust me lol.

16. Kitara

US
    Oh!! I think I have one of those. THANKS!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Kitara

US
    Same! LOL

Love it! :shy:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Phoenix G

Phoenix G Arachnopeon Active Member

Most people here have you covered but I would like to add that tarantulas are pretty resilient and will give you plenty of warning signs they aren't comfortable before actually becoming ill/weak/refusing to touch the substrate at all. So you won't kill it overnight with the wrong temperature (barring extremes) or wrong moisture levels. That gives you time to react, adjust, and change. Tarantulas will also give you pretty instant results when you've made a change for the better, starting to calm down, or go back to eating for example.

Therefore as long as you're within guidelines given to you already, you should be fine. Each keeper does tweak things differently- Exotics Lair is fond of his dry leaves in every enclosure. LOL. I always have to have my natural bark-den and fake plants.

As for keeping live plants, if you want to go for it! I do. Just match the chosen plant to the type of environment. My desert T HATES moisture and will freak out if it so much as gets slightly humid in there. It wasn't happy until the plants died. However plant roots can give a more stable and reliable humidity as they slowly evaporate water in the soil and would be more comfortable for rainforest T's. A dry low-watering plant would be fine for my desert T, and the bugs left in the tank love eating native plants if you are lucky enough to be in a pesticide free area native to the T, bugs, and plants.

Edit: Be absolutely over cautious about pesticides. There have been posts of people losing their tarantulas to a bug that was eaten who was exposed to pesticide. It's instant death. Bugs can come in on plants, and the plants can be contaminated. Use caution.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GeekFIxUk

Thanks all, looks like shes gonna be dispatched tomorrow, and i think i'm ready for her arrival. Medium brown crickets 5-8mm (one still running around in my office, shh dont tell my wife lol) and superworms are in. Terrarium is set with the new perspex door lid fitted, just left the front doors wide open to let any last moisture dry out.

• Like Like x 2
  20. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

To point out the obvious

1. You haven’t done nearly enough research on Ts esp this species

Proof:

1. You’re buying a humidity gauge
    2. You considered only 2 sources
    3. 2-3 weeks is not enough time.

• Dislike Dislike x 2