Vinegaroon sleeping in the open?

TeamNinjaBug

Arachnopeon
I had my first vinegaroon for about three days now! He's been great and active at night. During the day, he usually sleeps under the corkbark hide I set up for him (he doesn't seem to care about the other hide I put in his enclosure). Last night, I was woken up by my pet hissers having a civil disagreement about politics and I happened to glance over at my vinegaroon in the midst of digging a burrow. It was fascinating to watch and he chose a spot where I would have full view of him in said burrow! I was eager to see what he would have by morning.

Well, morning came and he seems to have abandoned his half-made burrow and instead of sleeping under the corkbark like usual, he's actually chosen to settle down on the bed of moss near his unfinished burrow and sleep in the open! I can probably feel comfort knowing he felt THAT safe in his new home, but I'm a worry-filled anxious person and I'm wondering if this is normal? I was under the impression that vinegaroons hide away from the world during the day.

Here's something resembling a photo I took of him sleeping on the moss. Sorry for the quality, I didn't want to open the enclosure and wake him up for a picture.

sleeping vinnie_by_teamninjabug-dc61v0t.jpg

Probably can't make out, but his unfinished burrow is on the corner of the enclosure, slightly under the moss.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I had my first vinegaroon for about three days now! He's been great and active at night. During the day, he usually sleeps under the corkbark hide I set up for him (he doesn't seem to care about the other hide I put in his enclosure). Last night, I was woken up by my pet hissers having a civil disagreement about politics and I happened to glance over at my vinegaroon in the midst of digging a burrow. It was fascinating to watch and he chose a spot where I would have full view of him in said burrow! I was eager to see what he would have by morning.

Well, morning came and he seems to have abandoned his half-made burrow and instead of sleeping under the corkbark like usual, he's actually chosen to settle down on the bed of moss near his unfinished burrow and sleep in the open! I can probably feel comfort knowing he felt THAT safe in his new home, but I'm a worry-filled anxious person and I'm wondering if this is normal? I was under the impression that vinegaroons hide away from the world during the day.

Here's something resembling a photo I took of him sleeping on the moss. Sorry for the quality, I didn't want to open the enclosure and wake him up for a picture.

View attachment 269689

Probably can't make out, but his unfinished burrow is on the corner of the enclosure, slightly under the moss.
Looks very dry. I keep my Mastigoproctus giganteus damp. Some dry but mostly damp has that what she prefers.

TeamNinjaBug

Arachnopeon
I added some more still damp cocofiber into the enclosure (not a lot, but I'll wait until nightfall when he's awake to add more so I don't disturb his sleep) and sprayed the moss and put water into a corner. I hope that'll help.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Awesome! I've been seeing a lot of these lately and its making me think of keep one, as well as a whip scorpion. This type of species does like moisture so I'd mist down the enclosure like once a week or so, get the moss wet.