Vinegaroon desert setup?

Can I keep a vinegaroon healthy in a desert tank?

• Total voters

Chris Ritenour

Arachnopeon
Hi! Im purchasing a vinegaroon in Spring. I would like to set her up in a desert enclosure. Is it possible to do this and the animal be healthy? Because I know they come from a desert...

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There is also a population in Florida where it's not such a desert environment, they can handle a wide range. My personal experience has been that I have found them exclusively in rock areas. Maybe fire ants have kept them out of where fire ants are, deeper dirt. Imo, rocky coarse sandy substrate and flat rocks with water available and it should do well, they are pretty hardy. You might put some moist coco fiber under a flat rock it want to go to a more humid place now and then. I'm raising 20 or so babies right now, one of my fav native inverts.

Chris Ritenour

Arachnopeon
There is also a population in Florida where it's not such a desert environment, they can handle a wide range. My personal experience has been that I have found them exclusively in rock areas. Maybe fire ants have kept them out of where fire ants are, deeper dirt. Imo, rocky coarse sandy substrate and flat rocks with water available and it should do well, they are pretty hardy. You might put some moist coco fiber under a flat rock it want to go to a more humid place now and then. I'm raising 20 or so babies right now, one of my fav native inverts.
Thanks! Very helpful reply!

CloseLeech

Arachnopeon
Sadly you can not. Since they are a burrowing Arachnid, they like to burrow hides and tunnels. The sand will collapse on them and kill them. So a good ratio I did for my two was around 55% Eco Earth (or something similar if its not available to you) and 45% sand (Play sand works perfectly and is reverently cheap) with the Substrate at 5 - 6 inches, 6 preferably. I also recommend keeping the terrarium Humid and damp because they get there water from the drops that formed on the sides of the enclose so a desert habitat wouldn't work anyway.

Good Luck on your purchase, and believe me they are worth the wait. :)

Last edited:

CloseLeech

Arachnopeon
Just as a question... You said that you are raising 20 babies? Did you purchase them as babies or did you breed them? If you bred them, would you mind helping me breed mine? I have both a male and a female Mastigoproctus giganteus and I was wondering if you maybe could give me a few tips on breeding them correctly, (Any certain temp, Humidity, substrate, or habitat?

CloseLeech

Arachnopeon
Just as a question... You said that you are raising 20 babies? Did you purchase them as babies or did you breed them? If you bred them, would you mind helping me breed mine? I have both a male and a female Mastigoproctus giganteus and I was wondering if you maybe could give me a few tips on breeding them correctly, (Any certain temp, Humidity, substrate, or habitat?

Valaros

Arachnopeon
Definitely a mild humidity species they like around 50-60% and do well at room temp. My female was around 7 years old when she passed. New baby growing strong now though. Lovely arachnid one of our weird treasures. IMO. Hope that helps!

Chris Ritenour

Arachnopeon
Sadly you can not. Since they are a burrowing Arachnid, they like to burrow hides and tunnels. The sand will collapse on them and kill them. So a good ratio I did for my two was around 55% Eco Earth (or something similar if its not available to you) and 45% sand (Play sand works perfectly and is reverently cheap) with the Substrate at 5 - 6 inches, 6 preferably. I also recommend keeping the terrarium Humid and damp because they get there water from the drops that formed on the sides of the enclose so a desert habitat wouldn't work anyway.

Good Luck on your purchase, and believe me they are worth the wait. :)
Thanks for this reply! I didnt know thats how they drank so thats good to know!

CloseLeech

Arachnopeon
Definitely a mild humidity species they like around 50-60% and do well at room temp. My female was around 7 years old when she passed. New baby growing strong now though. Lovely arachnid one of our weird treasures. IMO. Hope that helps!
ok thank you so much! I really hope mines a success!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah they are captive born, breeding is easy, strange but easy to set up. You have to make sure they are both adults first. There is breeding info on the internet and this site, so much repetitive info. But it's important that you have something like a large flat rock and deep substrate, at least 6 inches imo, under the rock for the female to dig under to have the babies.