1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vinegaroon Burrowed and...

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by nuck, Aug 9, 2018.

1. nuck

nuck Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    So my vinny dug a huge burrow by the side of the glass where I could observe her digging. However one day I noticed that she had sealed half of it off, and kept going until there was no trace of the tunnel ever being there. I'm assuming she did this herself since it's known that they do this during hibernation season or molting, but here's the thing..

It's triple degree weather out here and the Summer isn't even close to ending yet (in terms of heat anyways). Why is she hibernating so early, or is it possible that the substrate was unstable and collapsed on her?? It's been at least 20 days since she has sealed off her tunnel.

If anybody's curious, my substrate is at least 75% coco coir, and 25% sand. Planning on mixing more sand for more stability, however I don't want to disturb her hibernation/molt.

• Like Like x 1
  2. basin79

basin79 Arachnoking Active Member

Probably in premoult or moulting. My lass did exactly the same. Filled her burrow in until she just had a "bubble" at the bottom.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. nuck

nuck Arachnopeon

Yeah she def did the bubble thing too, but I guess she got annoyed by me being curious, so she covered the glass with dirt.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. sschind

sschind Arachnobaron Old Timer

I had a batch of babies a few years back and the one thing I figured out is that they are unpredictable when it comes to burrowing and molting. While the majority did burrow in in the fall and emerge in the spring (after having molted) a few didn't burrow and molt until the spring A few burrowed and molted within a month and came out then burrowed in again a few months later. I have one who is approaching adulthood now and she burrows in for a month or two then comes out for a few more then goes back in. Most of them stay sealed up for at least three months or more. I use a substrate of 100% choir and have had no issues with stability.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nuck

nuck Arachnopeon

Okay thanks for that, it kind of made me a bit relaxed as she still hasn't come out yet. If I knew that they burrowed this much I think I would have just gotten a red knee tarantula instead... whole reason I avoid the burrowing turantulas..

I believe she burrowed back in july or late june

6. nuck

nuck Arachnopeon

She still hasn't surfaced.

7. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

I wonder if it's a combination of molting and hibernating. Maybe it did one and decided it's time for the other. They're weird creatures when it comes to their cycles. I'd be hesitant to dig in to try to check, but you might have to do that in a month or so to make sure she's still alright.

8. pannaking22

I moved the text from your other thread here so everything is tied together and we have the extra info on this thread.

9. nuck

nuck Arachnopeon

Thank you, I appreciate that and the response.

• Like Like x 2
  10. basin79

basin79 Arachnoking Active Member

My lass has been buried away for weeks now. She'll emerge bigger and a lot thinner.

11. nuck

nuck Arachnopeon

I hope so man, I have not been having luck with my vinny keeping attempts so hopefully it goes a lot better for you.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. nuck

nuck Arachnopeon

So I figured to rotate my tank today to check if my vinny burrowed by the glass on the side. Low and behold she did!

I was probably a bit too late to see her molt, however I am glad to announce that she is alive & well. I cannot tell how big she got though, all I could see was her fat abdomen.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

texas
    If you saw a fat abdomen then she probably hasn't molted yet. Like basin79 mentioned, after the molt it should be bigger but thinner. All that big ab goes to fill out parts for growth during the molt. After it stays under after the molt to allow the exo to harden, it will finally come out looking for something to eat. That can take a while also.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. nuck

nuck Arachnopeon

Well honestly I don't really know the difference, I just called it fat to call it that I guess haha, but from what I see, it doesn't look too different from when I saw her 6 months ago.

15. pannaking22

Glad to hear she's still alive!

• Like Like x 1