1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vinegaroon Burrowed and...

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by nuck, Aug 9, 2018 at 4:26 AM.

  1. nuck

    nuck Arachnopeon

    Advertisement
    So my vinny dug a huge burrow by the side of the glass where I could observe her digging. However one day I noticed that she had sealed half of it off, and kept going until there was no trace of the tunnel ever being there. I'm assuming she did this herself since it's known that they do this during hibernation season or molting, but here's the thing..

    It's triple degree weather out here and the Summer isn't even close to ending yet (in terms of heat anyways). Why is she hibernating so early, or is it possible that the substrate was unstable and collapsed on her?? It's been at least 20 days since she has sealed off her tunnel.

    If anybody's curious, my substrate is at least 75% coco coir, and 25% sand. Planning on mixing more sand for more stability, however I don't want to disturb her hibernation/molt.
     
  2. basin79

    basin79 Arachnoking Active Member

    Probably in premoult or moulting. My lass did exactly the same. Filled her burrow in until she just had a "bubble" at the bottom.
     
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. nuck

    nuck Arachnopeon

    Yeah she def did the bubble thing too, but I guess she got annoyed by me being curious, so she covered the glass with dirt.
     
  4. sschind

    sschind Arachnoknight Old Timer

    I had a batch of babies a few years back and the one thing I figured out is that they are unpredictable when it comes to burrowing and molting. While the majority did burrow in in the fall and emerge in the spring (after having molted) a few didn't burrow and molt until the spring A few burrowed and molted within a month and came out then burrowed in again a few months later. I have one who is approaching adulthood now and she burrows in for a month or two then comes out for a few more then goes back in. Most of them stay sealed up for at least three months or more. I use a substrate of 100% choir and have had no issues with stability.