vinegaroon behavior

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have four young ones. At the moment, two have sealed themselves in, and two are still active on the surface.

Wade

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
are hisser nymphs good feeders? it seems to me that the vinegaroons depend heavily on their sense of touch - feeling for vibrations, but it doesnt do them any good if their prey doesnt move. its a good size for my little guy, when the roach does move its too fast (when i bother the roach), other than that its a statue in the tank.

BaltimoreBoy

Banned
Old Timer
what a weird looking bug... is that a cross between a scorpion and maybe like a tarantula or a mantid? :confused:

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
finally the damn thing ate, cut the head piece off the hisser nymph, its "skin" is starting to get darker and the slits of were it will break out of its old skin is showing, or maybe i never noticed them b4 but hopefully ill see a molt soon

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by BaltimoreBoy
what a weird looking bug... is that a cross between a scorpion and maybe like a tarantula or a mantid? :confused:
No, they are an entirely seperate arcahnid order - Uropygi. It's a small order, so most people are not familliar with them. Although they are very scorpion like in appearance, I believe they are more closely related to spiders than scorpions (but they are NOT spiders). They are not at all related to mantids, which are insects.

The only problem I can see with hissers as feeders is that they can climb glass and get out of reach of the vinegaroons.

Wade

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Wade

The only problem I can see with hissers as feeders is that they can climb glass and get out of reach of the vinegaroons.

Wade
that has happened and it got out the slit of the kritter keeper, but the unlucky roach decided to stay on the top of the tank but below a deli cup i was using for my assassin eggs.
so i cut its front off and it was fresh dead

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
is my vinegaroon the only one above dirt still???
i thought maybe he didnt like the substrate, i was using 100% peat, so i changed it to 100% top soil and he still sits on the cork. when he ventures on the soil he runs back onto the cork when he hits a wet spot...its like a kid running away from the surf on the beach.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
At the moment, some of mine are underground, but some aren't. It may not mean anything, some individuals just vary in behaviour patterns.

Wade