1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video on centipede anatomy coming soon - Need advice.

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by Staehilomyces, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Staehilomyces

Staehilomyces Arachnoprince Active Member

Advertisement
    With Azog, my big tiger E. rubripes, becoming more and more docile by the day, I have been thinking about the kind of videos I can film of it in order to take advantage of its temperament. After all, when you've got a pede that you can handle like a pet snake, there's a whole new array of potential video possibilities that would not be possible with a psychotic killing machine (like Azog used to be in the not-so-distant past). I'll probably first upload a straightforward handling video, aiming for better detail and quality than Mastigoproctus' old vids. After that, I'm strongly considering doing a video on centipede anatomy. Naturally, Azog's temperament would allow me to get shots I wouldn't be able to achieve with a non-habituated pede. I plan on covering basically every external feature of a Scolopendrid centipede. Here's a list of what I'm going to feature so far; are there any aspects of anatomy that I'm missing?
    • Paramedian sulci
    • Trunk
    • Tergites
    • Cephalic plate
    • Antennae/antennomeres
    • Legs, with particular emphasis on terminals
    • Spiracles
    • Forcipules
    Are there any other external features I may be missing? Let me know, preferably using the proper scientific terminology. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. mickiem

mickiem Arachnoprince Active Member

So, not being a C-pede person, I’ve got no advice but I look forward to your endeavor.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Staehilomyces

Thanks! My (very)long term goal is to become The Dark Den of centipedes, and get them the recognition they deserve in the hobby.

• Like Like x 2
  4. LawnShrimp

LawnShrimp Arachnoangel

It is probably not necessary, but if you can get Azog into a clean, clear container, you can film underneath it while holding it so that you can see the underside of the head. The toothplates*, mandible covers, second maxillae, and perhaps his little eyes will be visible, as well as a nice look at the forcipules. Make sure to explain that the forcipules are only used for killing and occasionally climbing, and that prey is chewed up by the small mandibles in the center of the 'face'.

*What do toothplates do, anyway? I know the millipede-centipede Edentistoma uses them like can openers, but what is their purpose in larger centipedes?

5. Staehilomyces

Thanks for that advice. I'd certainly like to get into the head anatomy. I'll also spend a bit of time debunking the idea of the terminal legs being able to deliver a venomous sting.

As for the toothplates, I think they just sort of "scissor" at the prey, cutting the soft parts up as they go into the mouth. They don't seem like they'd be too effective against exoskeleton or other hard parts, but then again, the forciples take care of most of that anyway.

6. Staehilomyces

Also, can you tell me what the mandible covers and second maxillae are/what they do?

7. Staehilomyces

@LawnShrimp I just read an article on Edentistoma, and I have the feeling you have misquoted the same article. It says that Edentistoma lacks tooth plates, and that most other Scolopendrids use them like "can openers".

8. Salvador

Salvador Arachnosquire

Coxosternal toothplates are more for the function of helping to hold food items in place while feeding, preventing slip. They might also help when moving objects for burrowing purposes. Although I think you guys are referring to the mandibles when talking about chewing?

First maxillae, if I recall correctly, keep the mandibles enclosed and clean, and may aid in pushing food into them , while second help this also, fine manipulation (such as egg turning), with the tarsal brushes used for cleaning, particularly the antennae.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Staehilomyces

Thanks for that. I'll probably start preparing a rough script soon. I'll never be reading off determined scripts, but it still helps if I have some sort of preconceived idea as to what I'll be saying, and in what order.

10. LeFanDesBugs

LeFanDesBugs Arachnobaron

Paris
    Staehilomyces, though the terminal legs are unable to deliver stings, I would not venture on "stingy leg" territory. Nothing's been proven NOR disproven yet.. to my knowledge
    Though I'm really looking forward to this video. The hobby is in desperate need of clarity when it comes to anatomy

11. Jay Sav

Jay Sav Arachnopeon

Can't wait to see the video. Love these little monsters.

12. Staehilomyces

Glad you're looking forward to it, but don't expect anything too soon. Azog will have to be VERY docile for that video to work as I plan, and it's not quite there yet. In the meantime, however, you can expect another unboxing vid soon.

13. LawnShrimp

LawnShrimp Arachnoangel

...:dead::dead::dead:

I suppose I did! Still, it was some sort of irregular Otostigmid that had unusually sharp toothplates... I remember seeing the photo. I also remember the photo of Edentistoma and how the forcipular segment looked rather bare. :sorry: Too funny!

Oh, I got it: Sterropristes sarasinorum has long toothplates and serrated forcipules. Whoops, that was my mistake!

2nd maxillae are a set of leg like appendages, they are used to position food and groom. The mandible covers (1st maxillae, excuse my unscientificness) are the little white 'lips' that sheath the sharp mandibles when not eating.

14. Staehilomyces

Got it. Thanks! Hopefully I'll be able to film close enough to be able to point all those features out.

15. LawnShrimp

LawnShrimp Arachnoangel

It shouldn't be too hard with a big 'pede like Azog. When my mutilans, small in comparison, press their faces against the plastic, I can clearly see these features.

16. TreebeardGoddess

TreebeardGoddess Arachnopeon

... excitedly awaiting the video...

17. Staehilomyces

It'll be a while. I'm up to my neck in math study.

18. Staehilomyces

Okay, so while Azog is quite docile now, it's certainly not calm enough for me to film the video tomorrow as I somewhat hoped to do. Though, you can certainly be expecting an unboxing video next week. That's a promise.

19. Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry Arachnobaron Active Member

Sounds interesting, why don't you talk about their venom components?

20. Staehilomyces

Cause I don't know too much about that myself. I'll try to teach myself te basics. If I can, I'll certainly talk about that as well.

• Like Like x 1