Video Of Monster Nests

El Viejo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am sorry to hear about your sister's nest deteriorating to the point that she had to toss it into the trash. This could have been prevented. The culprits are most likely carpet/dermestid beetles (which love to eat wasp nests!). If allowed to continue, then these pests will completely destroy a nest collection. So, a person NEEDS to stay on top of this because the beetles will eventually come back. This is why it is ESSENTIAL to do regular maintenance on natural history collections. Here is more information on these museum pests and what to do about them:

http://venomlist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21703

Anyway...

To answer your question, the best thing to do is to collect the nest when it is cold outside or perhaps you can try smoking the wasps out of their nest.

I hope that you can find more Mexican honey wasp nests in the future. I will be ecstatic if you could possibly send MORE THAN ONE nest to me! I am trying to expand the number of these nests in my collection. For your information, these nests typically occur in citrus orchards. To give yourself better luck in locating these nests, then you should talk with your local citrus growers. You should also contact all of the pest exterminators who are in your area. These suggestions should put you on some great leads!

Please keep me updated. You can contact me through this forum or you can contact me through my email address:

hornetboy1970@yahoo.com

I hope to hear from you soon. I am looking forward to your reply, El Viejo. :)
Terry,

I've added your email to my address book so when I find some nests I'll already have it. The nest I gave my sister was from a citrus orchard, and it was already pretty much falling apart when I found it, so it didn't have much of a chance. I've seen them in the brush more, but I'll keep an eye out in more orchards from now on. We have friends from church who farm several hundred acres of citrus. I'll have them look for them well. Thanks for the tips. Hopefully, I can find some for you!

Vulgaris

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
good luck!

And I really hope you find some!

Although I am sad to hear you plan to kill the wasps. They are really amazing and fascinating wasps.

The only problem I can think of is that if you just go and kill the wasps and try to ship the nest, the dead larvae will rot in nest and it might not be salvageable by the time Terry gets it.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah, the video does NOT do my monster nests justice! They are a lot more awe-inspiring in person.

Unfortunately, I only have a couple of V. mandarinia specimens in my collection. Nonetheless, I DO know a person in China who might have some extra specimens of this awesome species to spare. His name is John (aka: "vespa_bicolor"). Here is his email address so you can contact him:

vespa_bicolor@yahoo.com.sg

Please tell John that Terry sent you. Thanks!

By the way, may I ask what you are gonna use the specimens for?
Hey thanks!
I have always loved that particular species and would like to just have one preserved on display.
-Chris

Carolina_wolfie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The wasps shouldn't die if he plans to smoke them out of their nests. Besides, I don't expect him to collect any nests for me during the middle of the season. Late fall/early winter would be best because this way the nests won't be full of brood.

Although I am sad to hear you plan to kill the wasps. They are really amazing and fascinating wasps.

The only problem I can think of is that if you just go and kill the wasps and try to ship the nest, the dead larvae will rot in nest and it might not be salvageable by the time Terry gets it.

Last edited:

Carolina_wolfie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This sounds great to me. It really IS an awesome species to display. I am lucky to have a couple for my own collection! I wish you the best of luck in getting a nice specimen.

Hey thanks!
I have always loved that particular species and would like to just have one preserved on display.
-Chris

Carolina_wolfie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am glad that I am able to give you some tips. Thank you very much for keeping me in mind for some future nests! I hope that you will be able to get some. I am looking forward to any updates from you. Please stay in touch with me.

Terry,

I've added your email to my address book so when I find some nests I'll already have it. The nest I gave my sister was from a citrus orchard, and it was already pretty much falling apart when I found it, so it didn't have much of a chance. I've seen them in the brush more, but I'll keep an eye out in more orchards from now on. We have friends from church who farm several hundred acres of citrus. I'll have them look for them well. Thanks for the tips. Hopefully, I can find some for you!

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i find some pretty cool mud nests that are small....your more then welcome to these also if i happen upon some.

there is usually a big blue wasp around them.

moose