[Video] Handling a super calm E. rubripes!

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Here's a short-ish video of one of my E. rubripes being handled. This isn't Azog - I can't handle Azog anymore; ever since I rehoused it into a loud-locking enclosure it's reacted violently to being disturbed, and still hasn't changed even after being re-rehoused into a better enclosure.

Enjoy!

P.S. you might want to turn the volume up; I messed up with the audio, and it's pretty quiet.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Thanks! And yeah, I might be getting those this week. The seller may send them this Monday (depends on the weather and my exam schedule).

Siphodemos

Arachnopeon
I've never handled one before and i really want one as a pet.
How is the feeling? Have you ever get bitten?

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I've never taken a full envenomation, but I have been nipped several times, all out of lack of caution.
They feel rather strange crawling on you, and are surprisingly squishy when petted. I enjoy handling a lot, but please heed the warnings I gave in my video.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Great video! Might've missed you saying it as I haven't watched one or two of your videos, but how many centipedes on your collection are being socialized or are handleable?

Living in Brazil the species you can catch are Scolopendra viridicornis, Rhysida longipes, and maybe S. angulata and a few other smaller species. None of those have a terrible bite but even the relatively weak venom of Brazilian centipedes is quite painful. Asian Scolopendra have incredibly painful bites much worse than any New World species and are also a great deal harder to socialize. I can't really speak for this Ethmostigmus as not many people have reported a full envenomation, but I assume it would not be comfortable.

I haven't handled mine much but they have a sharp, hooked claw on each leg, which they will use to grip you. (They have a very strong grip and can hand from just a few legs if needed.) If the centipede is well-socialized, it may not hook into your skin unless it is upside down or eating prey, but nevertheless the feeling of one on you is an odd combination of ticklish and pinpricks.

Last edited:

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Great video! Might've missed you saying it as I haven't watched one or two of your videos, but how many centipedes on your collection are being socialized or are handleable?
This pede and the green rubripes are the only socialized pedes in my collection. Azog used to be, but I messed up badly with that one, so I won't attempt any more handling with itl

I can't really speak for this Ethmostigmus as not many people have reported a full envenomation, but I assume it would not be comfortable.
I've yet to find a detailed E. rubripes bite report, but everyone who has been envenomated describes it as very intense, long lasting pain. One person said a rubripes bite hurt more than a brown snake bite. I took a weak bite from one of my tigers (not Azog) over a week ago, and I can still feel it. Given the small quantity of venom injected, it wasn't too bad, but enough to get my attention.

I haven't handled mine much but they have a sharp, hooked claw on each leg, which they will use to grip you. (They have a very strong grip and can hand from just a few legs if needed.) If the centipede is well-socialized, it may not hook into your skin unless it is upside down or eating prey, but nevertheless the feeling of one on you is an odd combination of ticklish and pinpricks.
Basically, yes. If a centipede is socialized, then it will be relaxed while being handled, and won't hold onto you very tightly. As such, you won't be pierced by the claws. They only grip on tighter once they are upside down, or when they are threatened.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
This pede and the green rubripes are the only socialized pedes in my collection. Azog used to be, but I messed up badly with that one, so I won't attempt any more handling with itl

I've yet to find a detailed E. rubripes bite report, but everyone who has been envenomated describes it as very intense, long lasting pain. One person said a rubripes bite hurt more than a brown snake bite. I took a weak bite from one of my tigers (not Azog) over a week ago, and I can still feel it. Given the small quantity of venom injected, it wasn't too bad, but enough to get my attention.

Basically, yes. If a centipede is socialized, then it will be relaxed while being handled, and won't hold onto you very tightly. As such, you won't be pierced by the claws. They only grip on tighter once they are upside down, or when they are threatened.
Brown snake bites feel like a prick and a little bit if pain (before you start bleeding through your skin and have difficulty breathing that is). Apparently the initial bite can feel like a thorn prick, don't quote me on his though.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
This isn't Azog - I can't handle Azog anymore; ever since I rehoused it into a loud-locking enclosure it's reacted violently to being disturbed, and still hasn't changed even after being re-rehoused into a better enclosure.
This is interesting. I found that some of my centipedes have gone from quite chilled to more aggressive and me not feeling it would be OK to handle. Although in two cases I was actually worried about them in their relaxed phase as that didn't feel right. Shame Azog's taken such a step backwards though. What are your plans?

I'm also designing a new lid format for my enclosures because I don't like the idea of an animal whose primary sense is touch/vibration detection having their entire environment violently jerked every time I open the tub. Maybe centipedes are all naturally really docile creatures except if you keep them in plastic tubs and prod them? :D

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Well, so far, Azog is the only pede I've had that's ever gone backwards, and the lid was the only major variable.
I think I'll just forget about handling Azog; it's an easier decision than before, as it's no longer my only pede. I can handle this tiger rubripes now, and one of the new Kuranda rubripes (the one that wasn't post molt upon arrival) seemed okay when I somewhat unintentionally handled it for the first time.