[VIDEO] feeding my dysdera slings!

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
[video=youtube;37e5k_TS5tk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37e5k_TS5tk[/video]

Haha never a dull moment around these spiders.. One little crafty sling got out twice :biggrin: You can see me continually trying to herd it back into the deli cup. haha.

Mom is famished because she's been regurgitating fluid to feed and water her young, which burrow nearby, but still receive care!! very cool spiders!

if you look carefully, you can see one of the slings in it's burrow tackle an isopod on its own, way to go!. These spiders probably take the best care of their young throughout the entire arachnid world. Very sweet to see her carefully avoid trampling them while running.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My first thought was "those isopods are too big! they can't eat those!" but then I saw the saarlac coming out of the pit on the bottom left hand corner and I thought "nevermind."

thanks for sharing!

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Haha you should see mama take down a full-grown porcellio laevis.

She's a total beast, in fact I should toss in a few rollie-pollies right now..

Micrathena

Arachnoknight
My first thought was "those isopods are too big! they can't eat those!" but then I saw the saarlac coming out of the pit on the bottom left hand corner and I thought "nevermind."

thanks for sharing!
My thoughts exactly! Even the bit about the sarlacc... I knew the mommy's emergence reminded me of something that I wanted to wittily reference in a comment, I just didn't know what.

ecooper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very very cool! I've been trying to find one of these but with no luck. Mind you, I didn't realize they dug burrows, I thought they lived under bark and in leaf litter so I have probably been looking in the wrong places. Did you catch her locally or did you buy her?

EC

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Very very cool! I've been trying to find one of these but with no luck. Mind you, I didn't realize they dug burrows, I thought they lived under bark and in leaf litter so I have probably been looking in the wrong places. Did you catch her locally or did you buy her?

EC
I caught her in my backyard. In areas with hardpan, or compact soil, they do spin a retreat above the surface under boards.

These spiders take a while to grow, so you may be overlooking juveniles, which are golden and lack the characteristic red color. Otherwise they're identical to the adults. Their quick mygalomorph-like gait can be easy to notice to the trained eye. the females often die during brooding, as they work tirelessly to keep their slings nourished, as you can see in the video above. she eats quite a bit, then wastes away within a couple of days, as her brood will crawl up to her and "ask" for a meal, and she'll always oblige. Fortunately, pillbugs and woodlice are easy to obtain, so there's little trouble keeping her fed.