Victoria Bug Zoo

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I recently went to the Victoria Bug Zoo in Victoria, British Colombia, Canada. On the way home I lost my SD card to my camera with the photos, so here is the text I have to offer:

It was a small-ish building with an excellent selection of 'bugs' of all sorts. There was a heavy selection of stick insect species, but I liked that. The spider and tarantula world was well represented. They also had giant katydid species and giant cricket species on display. All of the displays were very easy to approach and view from 3 sides, so nothing could hide from you really. The staff was fairly informative to the average Joe, but not so interested in in-depth discussions with a more educated hobbiest. In thier defense they did have alot going on at the time and I did not want to press the issue. There is a gift shop with an amazing selection of bug-fun, goodies, and educational materials. Overall I would recommend it as one of the top bug "places" in the north American continent (top 10). Admission was inexpensive, employees had a sense of humor, aquatic bugs were interesting. Centipedes were very nice. One roach enclosure looked to be a little too dry for too long, and one tarantula seemed to be housed in a low, flat container instead of something upright (Poecilotheria sp.). Otherwise well worth the visit if you are in the area. Three thumbs up.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I echo pretty much all what Matt has said.
Although it's not muich bigger than a typical elementary school classroom, If you or your kids like bugs, you'll be spending a couple of hours in here.

Here are a few pics. Most are out of focus, and I don't have names to some of them, but I was in a Zoo.
For bugs.

You'd be distracted too!

Like Matt said, staff were knowledgable, and fun. You're kids will have a blast.

Just as mentioned, a little more than a quarter of the zoo was dedicated to phasmids.

They also had non-phasmids too!

A preying mantis, withh several oothecae

One of those giants mentioned earlier

Some beetles, and a velvet ant.

They had a couple of giant centipedes and millipedes

And a huge colony of leafcutter ants.

And, of course, spiders!

L. paryhybana

Her enclosure (which is a little too tall and should have switched with another one, I'll get to that later)

Some kind of avic.

Another Lasiodora sp.

B. smithi

Some kind of Aphonopelma sp?

P. striata

Her enclosure, like most of the other terrestrials were kept in. Should've switch this one with the LP shown earlier.

And of course, took a pic of their Hobo!

Those are all the pics I took. They have a few roaches, Assasin bugs, and other things, but my SD card was full by that point:(
Worth the price of admission, It's a shame they're arent more of these kinds of things around.