Very strange I. mira sling behavior

Mentat Ix

Arachnopeon
My I. mira is doing something very strange right now. Last I saw it a few days ago, it was doing normal I. mira stuff. Bolting in and out of its trap door and such. Today I see it doing this:

IMG_20180116_214950.jpg IMG_20180116_215009.jpg

The strange part is, it won't budge. I moved the enclosure. I tapped on it a little bit. I even opened the lid a little bit from the other side. It's doing its best statue impression. I've been watching it for a good 15 minutes and it hasn't moved one iota.

What do you make of this spidery strangeness?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Do you happen to have your heater on by any chance? My tarantulas love to climb when my heater is on.

Toddydog

Arachnosquire
My tarantulas love to climb when my heater is on.
Yes, heater on for my guy too, he also is more active at night (I know right, who would have guessed) but he really likes exploring around when he thinks nobodies watching. Not that I am or anything :rolleyes:

Mentat Ix

Arachnopeon
The climbing bit doesn't really have me puzzled, its the fact that a usually very flighty T suddenly can't be spooked. It's usually very fast, and very skittish.

He struck a fancy pose and won't be moved, even when I poked at him a bit. I think maybe it looked into Medusa's eyes.

Mentat Ix

Arachnopeon
I hope he is not stuck on anything.
Nah, I opened the lid to make sure his feet weren't wedged in there, and his back feet aren't even touching the air holes. He's just on smooth plastic.

Maybe he's trying to be like this guy:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
15 minutes is nothing. My regalis barely moved for a week. (Sat on the sub and didn't climb.)

I wouldn't worry.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My I. mira is doing something very strange right now. Last I saw it a few days ago, it was doing normal I. mira stuff. Bolting in and out of its trap door and such. Today I see it doing this:

View attachment 263487 View attachment 263488

The strange part is, it won't budge. I moved the enclosure. I tapped on it a little bit. I even opened the lid a little bit from the other side. It's doing its best statue impression. I've been watching it for a good 15 minutes and it hasn't moved one iota.

I'm more concerned about the owner's behavior of tapping, poking and disturbing than the T's behavior. :rolleyes:o_O

I own this species, nothing remarkable here. Time for the next thread.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Mine did exactly the same. Mine moved around a bit more, but she was glued to the wall most of the time. After a while she rediscovered her burrow, or she dug a new entrance or something, because I did not see her for months. She was pretty plump so I though she was going to molt, but she clearly had not when she reappeared. She eats, so that is good sign. Just don't worry too much about yours.