Very nervous G Pulchra + Very nervous Owner = Very interesting situation

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Exposure exposure. Or buy the enclosure @Ungoliant suggests and minimize interactions. I'd go with the exposure though, since that prepares you more for unexpected situations. But I can imagine you might need some stress-free interactions first to calm down around your spiders.
I'm not opposed to doing some "exposure therapy." I was suggesting a different enclosure in addition, so that the OP wouldn't have to remove the entire lid on a low-profile enclosure for all feeding and maintenance.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I'm not opposed to doing some "exposure therapy." I was suggesting a different enclosure in addition, so that the OP wouldn't have to remove the entire lid on a low-profile enclosure for all feeding and maintenance.
Oh, I know. I only think that reducing the chances of contact by keeping it in a kk is not really exposure but more avoiding that contact. Both can work though.

DPetsche

Arachnopeon
Grammostola pulchra is a great species for observing/working with. It's generally slow and fairly docile, especially as it gets bigger. (My smaller sling is skittish, but she always bolts into one of her hides.)

In addition to what's already been said about the enclosure, I would get something with a lid that can be opened without removing the whole lid. A feeding hatch is a plus.

I have a pulchra that is about the same size as yours, and I keep her in a small Exo Terra Breeding Box (8" x 8" x 5.5"). They also make larger ones that are the same height.

The plastic is nice and clear, and it's easy to open and do most maintenance/feeding without having to remove the entire lid.
That enclosure is perfect, where has it been all my life!?

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Oh, I know. I only think that reducing the chances of contact by keeping it in a kk is not really exposure but more avoiding that contact. Both can work though.
One thing nice about the pulchra is that it will allow for both. One of my D. pentaloris (very skittish) was wobbling her abdomen to put up some web at feeding time yesterday. I ended up postponing the cricket for a while. I knew that any touching of the lid would interrupt and send her straight into the hide. It is quite the slow process to remove the Hobby Lobby display case lid very slowly and drop a cricket without getting a delay from her panic.

The pulchra won't go anywhere once it is settled in a correct enclosure, so you can interact with full open or watch true hunting with a hatch.

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
In a situation like this, with undoubtedly one of the most docile NW species, I would have let her on my hand and *directed* her butt back into the enclosure. I know you have a fear of bites but thats why you bought a G pulchra ;)

My freshly molted ~2 inch sling likes to explore also, he stays in his burrow until he calms down from the lid scare then likes to say hi. One of the only tarantulas I would not be *afraid* to handle. Just have a healthy respect and stay as calm as possible. Use a catch cup until you are comfortable, and besides we all know every tarantula is different.

Phentin527

Arachnopeon
My g pulchra or quirogai.... I like pulchra more. Anyway! Has been doing kind of what you said but hes barely even an inch as of right now. As soon as I open the container he/she begins running to the opposite side, he/she refuses to use its hide!!! (weird) wont burrow.... (weird) he just likes sitting ontop of the substrate and will climb not even an inch up the side of the enclosure before calming down and being subtle again. I'm shocked that my GBB is alot more docile/friendly than my pulchra as of now. It's exactly what I said... All of the T's have different personalities you cant prepare for that