1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very First Turantula!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by ArachnidSpecilist, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

I love you, you know that right? But I have no idea what you just said...:shy:
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  2. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

Pfff... sweet lie :yawn:

:kiss: :troll:

In San Francisco (Frisco) at the Embarcadero, there's 'Boccalone Salumeria' (Google that) and one of the things they do, is serving cold cuts/salumi in a cone that reminds to me... cardboard, lol
  3. Andrea82

Lol, i guess other customers felt the same since it's permanently closed :D
    • Like Like x 1
  4. octanejunkie

octanejunkie Arachnopeon

Congrats on your first T, sorry it's a stressful situation for you and she both

As others have said, smaller enclosure, coco fiber substrate, and keep it dry - water dish only, don't mist the tank. Give the T a hide and some plastic plants but it will mostly just web up the ground or move things around to it's liking. Temporarily, you can house it in a medium critter keeper but the ideal size for an adult curly hair is about 12" x 8" floor space and no more than 5-6" climbing height, like others have said, fill with substrate to minimize height of fall.

Do you have a food plan worked out? No real rush there if the T is stressed. You can delay feeding it for a week or more but make sure it always has access to water and don't stress it out too much with lights and poking around it's enclosure. I'm sure they were feeding it crickets so make sure when you do feed it you only feed one at a time and if it doesn't eat right away, that's fine, leave it in there, but don't leave a cricket in with the T for more than a day, crickets are opportunistic and predatory and can injure a T. I prefer rust red roaches as food, personally.

Keep the areas around your T calm and darker in the beginning until it gets used to your house, and the key with temps is if you are comfortable the T will be too, 69 to 76 degrees F is fine for most terrestrials. Good luck and welcome to the hobby - baptism by fire style.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. ArachnidSpecilist

ArachnidSpecilist Arachnosquire Active Member

She's doing just fine right now! Only problem is that see spends all her time in her burrow and won't get out. Not very exciting:oops:. She has not eaten yet, I got a cricket in her burrow but she was not interested. Oh well, I'll just wait for her to catch it on her own.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. octanejunkie

octanejunkie Arachnopeon

This is a hobby of patience and time with a pet that pretty much doesn't want to know from you for the most part LOL

Let the T do it's thing, and don't make a habit of putting a prey item in it's burrow, that can startle a T. Tarantulas are sense hunters, let the prey walk around and the motion will trigger the T's instinct if it is interested. If it doesn't eat the prey in a day, remove it.
    These guys can go for weeks wtihout food so don't rush it. Let it settle in and try again. You will know when the T is settled in because it will be seen all around the enclosure, including on the glass. Staying in it's burrow is stress behaviour or it doesn't feel safe yet.

Good luck getting used to it, and it to you :D
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Thekla

Thekla Arachnosquire Active Member

Have you changed the substrate yet? Could you show us pictures of the whole enclosure? It's always easier to help with pictures. :)
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Wolfspidurguy

Wolfspidurguy Arachnobaron Active Member

wow good find you dont need a flower or burrow and there terrestrial so a 10 gal tank seems a little overkill to me but congratulations i also recently bought my first T which is a brachypelma albopilosum as well. 0.5" brachypelma albopilosum to be exact i got it for 20$ with 30$ shipping (2 day shipping) from kenthebugguy.com i really recommend buying from him and bugsincyberspace.com for other inverts
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ArachnidSpecilist

ArachnidSpecilist Arachnosquire Active Member

She's definitely got less shy! She ate a cricket I gave her (weird thing was I couldn't find its carcass) and she takes some strolls.
    IMG_20180318_201440.jpg BOO :hilarious:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Andrea82

Theraphosids don't leave carcasses. They mold the parts that they can't digest into a little ball called a bolus. You need to go read the pages i posted earlier for you ;)
    • Like Like x 1