Very First Turantula!

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
They sell Theraphosids in a cardboard box at petco? :shifty:
It's just how they give them to you for the car ride home (not that that's much better). They're like pet carriers. They do have smaller boxes that they should've used though. My boyfriend had to specifically ask for the smallest box they had when he bought our A. seemanni, and the woman who packaged her was pretty hesitant to put her in something that small.

20170828_144759.jpg

ArachnidSpecilist

Arachnosquire
She finally went in the enclosure! I finally nudged her abdomen one last time last night and she went in! She's (it's a she) really beautiful! I read your concerns about the wood chips, the people at Petco got me some blow up soil or something. The wood chips were a cheaper option that I got from Home Depot. I will change the enclosure immediately.

ArachnidSpecilist

Arachnosquire
This is her right next to the water dish: IMG_20180310_205621.jpg
She's got some cool silver stripes on her ceptsomethingthorax (I keep forgetting the name) and she's got some thin needle like fangs.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It's just how they give them to you for the car ride home (not that that's much better). They're like pet carriers. They do have smaller boxes that they should've used though. My boyfriend had to specifically ask for the smallest box they had when he bought our A. seemanni, and the woman who packaged her was pretty hesitant to put her in something that small.

View attachment 269119
I believe they just use the box for transportation purposes. Unless you want your new tarantula buckled up and riding shotgun:rofl:
I know that it's for transport only. :hurting:
If you buy spiders here, they pack them in plastic boxes, hence my response ;)
Cardboard+fangs is not a good idea, they can easily strike straight through that or even make their escape by biting a hole in it.

@spookyvibes
I don't own a car, I used to take my A.geniculata squad on my bike but they kept eating the groceries. :wacky:

Edit:
I have read a post about someone's sister taking her G.rosea with her when she went out, riding cars and shopping. That was insane!

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
She finally went in the enclosure! I finally nudged her abdomen one last time last night and she went in! She's (it's a she) really beautiful! I read your concerns about the wood chips, the people at Petco got me some blow up soil or something. The wood chips were a cheaper option that I got from Home Depot. I will change the enclosure immediately.
The 'blow up' soil is probably a brick of coco peat I imagine, you put it in a bucket and add water and it swells to fill the bucket. That's the most commonly used substrate.

Shaithisferenczy

Arachnopeon
i hear a lot of bad stuff about companies like petco but i'm not in the u.s myself so i'm not familiar with them but can someone tell me if they sell OW's? I'm quite scared if they do...

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I know that it's for transport only. :hurting:
If you buy spiders here, they pack them in plastic boxes, hence my response ;)
Cardboard+fangs is not a good idea, they can easily strike straight through that or even make their escape by biting a hole in it.
That would certainly be the better option. But that would require that Petco actually care about their animals, and *gasp* spend money to make the proper adjustments! :eek:

i hear a lot of bad stuff about companies like petco but i'm not in the u.s myself so i'm not familiar with them but can someone tell me if they sell OW's? I'm quite scared if they do...
I've never seen OWs there. Usually it's standard NW wild-caughts. A. avicularia, G. porteri, and A. seemanni are what I see the most. Back when they had the "tarantula huts", they had more options available as slings, but still nothing rare and still no OWs. B. albopilosum, B. vagans, N. chromatus and the like.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
You do realize that you need to catch her back out again if you're going to change the enclosure immediately...
She's also got some weird dust things on her abdomen. Is that natural?
That would be the urticating hair patch. Don't touch it, and give her space if she appears to 'scratch her butt', she's kicking the hairs up.

It would have been better if you had done some research before you got a Theraphosid. Not trying to be mean, but you need to research fast if you want to keep yours successfully. Good thing B.albopilosum are pretty much bulletproof but still...
Here are some links to threads on this forum you need to read:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/beginner-info-read-before-posting.153508/

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/glossary-tarantula-keeping-terminology.93111/

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/basic-tarantula-anatomy.5095/

Pretty spider you have there, seems like you got the Nicaraguan type. Up your keeping and you'll do great.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
There have been reports and posts about a large petstore chain selling OW, even under NW names. Not sure which chain that was again, but i think if you enter 'petstore OW' you should get appropriate results :)

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
This is her right next to the water dish: View attachment 269121
She's got some cool silver stripes on her ceptsomethingthorax (I keep forgetting the name) and she's got some thin needle like fangs.
Cephalothorax - She's a stunning specimen for sure, she looks like Nicaraguan form due to how white the setae are, hobby form are more drab looking, my 1" sling is supposedly from the same locality, time will tell, yeah in another 4-5 years.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She finally went in the enclosure!
Just in time for you to take your T out. You need to make sure the distance from the sub floor to the lid is only 1.5X the Ts diagonal leg span (DLS). Otherwise your T will fall from the top of your tank and go splat and die.

I strongly suggest you do more question asking here, DON'T read care sheets- they kill tarantulas.

The amount of time and interest you take into researching the needs and husbandry of this exotic animal directly relates to how long it will survive in captivity. Its life depends on YOU.

It also helps if you spell correctly, people might take more notice.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
View attachment 269069 This is a picture of her in her Petco box. Problem is, she won't get out and I try to nudge her abdomen but its not working. I I gave it some alone time but its not working either. She's not in a death curl so it might not be dead? Maybe just very stubborn? I plan to wait until tomorrow and see if she moved.
That is pretty <edit> that they put the T in a cardboard box with no sub... I'm hoping they only put it in that after you bought her...

Last edited by a moderator:

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
Before the whole "tarantula hut" idea (which was supposed to include a selection of OWs before the folks here petitioned for that to not occur and Petco removed them, only offering NWs after that, though the packaging still listed both), Cobalt Blue Tarantulas were available. I think that was the only OW on the list. Never saw one in-store, but it was available for special order. After the tarantula hut troubles, I've seen only sub-adult curly hairs in my local store and haven't inquired as to what else is available.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Before the whole "tarantula hut" idea (which was supposed to include a selection of OWs before the folks here petitioned for that to not occur and Petco removed them, only offering NWs after that, though the packaging still listed both), Cobalt Blue Tarantulas were available. I think that was the only OW on the list. Never saw one in-store, but it was available for special order. After the tarantula hut troubles, I've seen only sub-adult curly hairs in my local store and haven't inquired as to what else is available.
Good to know they're still complying with the arachnohobby considering not selling OW. I half expected they would lay low until the commotion went away and going right back to business.