Very First Turantula!

ArachnidSpecilist

Arachnosquire
When I got in the hobby of keeping bugs, keeping a tarantula never crossed my mind. But then I saw a Curly Hair Tarantula at Petco. Paid for the Tarantula, but the people at Petco were pushy and got me some substrate, flower, burrow, and a ten gallon tank. Ended up paying twice the amount of the Curly Hair. Named the tarantula Rose.

Mychajlo

Arachnosquire
Congrats! Are you sure it’s a genuine B. Albopilosum ( Curly hair )? Do you mind posting some pics of your new girl lol. Sorry it’s just weird to hear a curly hair being in a big chain pet store like Petco

ArachnidSpecilist

Arachnosquire
IMG_20180310_200649.jpg This is a picture of her in her Petco box. Problem is, she won't get out and I try to nudge her abdomen but its not working. I I gave it some alone time but its not working either. She's not in a death curl so it might not be dead? Maybe just very stubborn? I plan to wait until tomorrow and see if she moved.

Attachments

ArachnidSpecilist

Arachnosquire
View attachment 269069 This is a picture of her in her Petco box. Problem is, she won't get out and I try to nudge her abdomen but its not working. I I gave it some alone time but its not working either. She's not in a death curl so it might not be dead? Maybe just very stubborn? I plan to wait until tomorrow and see if she moved.
(sorry if picture quality isn't that good, I kind of rushed with the picture)

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
View attachment 269069 This is a picture of her in her Petco box. Problem is, she won't get out and I try to nudge her abdomen but its not working. I I gave it some alone time but its not working either. She's not in a death curl so it might not be dead? Maybe just very stubborn? I plan to wait until tomorrow and see if she moved.
She's just stressed from traveling, she'll be fine. That's the setup they pushed onto you? Honestly, pet stores don't know anything:meh: Definitely change the wood chips to something else, like cocofiber or even plain topsoil (pesticide free of course) will do. Make sure the substrate is filled up high enough to were there's only enough room for 1.5x the tarantula's legspan. So if she's five inches, make sure there's 7.5 inches from the lid to the substrate. A fall from the height she has right now could rupture her abdomen and kill her. Also, they probably sold you a screen lid, and I'd recommend you get rid of it asap and replace it with a piece of plexiglass with holes drilled in it for ventilation. The tarantula can get her legs caught in the screen and have her legs ripped off. Sorry for the rant, welcome to the hobby and congratulations on getting such a lovely tarantula:D

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I very first "Turantula" was a 3" female E. pachypus.... that turned into a "pet hole" within the first 48 hours. It died about 4 years later. Super cool chill baboon species though.

Mychajlo

Arachnosquire
Its one of the most common pet store tarantulas.

What do you mean by genuine? It is most likely the hobby albopilosum and not the nicaraguan form. Both are still considered albos...
Sorry I’ve always seen G. porteris in store only, and what I mean by genuin is if in fact it is a Rose hair

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
Oh my. Lesson I hope learned. Pet stores don't know jack squat. As already advised, you need some attention to that enclosure. Coco-fibre, or top soil for substrate. Fill it to an appropriate level so that the spider is not in fall danger. Burry the hide so only a little is above surface. Add water dish and let the T get busy redecorating.

Scarabyte

Arachnosquire
Sorry I’ve always seen G. porteris in store only, and what I mean by genuin is if in fact it is a Rose hair
I only find A. avic at Petcos/Petvalu here
Although I found a P. insignis once but it was already sold :(

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I woudn't like to come out either... :embarrassed:

@spookyvibes already told you about the substrate problem, but could you post pictures from the whole enclosure anyway? Did they at least sell you a water dish with all the other useless stuff? :rolleyes:
Honestly, if I were you I'd bring everything back to the pet shop (except the spider, of course, because she (?) is a beauty! :kiss:) and get your money back. Then I'd go and get a clear plastic container, a soldering iron to put some holes in it, a water dish, loads of coco fiber/plain top soil and a piece of cork bark (if you can find it, otherwise you could use half of a flowerpot as a hide as well).

I'm so sorry you got ripped off, but at least you got a beautiful spider, one of my favourites! :) Is (s)he sexed?
Oh, and welcome to the addiction, err, I meant hobby! :D

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
B. albopilosum don't really need a 10 gallon tank, but you can keep it in there if you want as long as its fairly big just fill up the substrate like almost halfway. Definitely shouldn't have just jumped in and bought the animal without knowing proper care beforehand. The B. albo is highly recommended by most for beginners so once you get the enclosure right you should be fine.

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
Welcome to the hobby and congratulations on getting your first tarantula! You've had some good advice on this thread, but don't panic, apart from the bark you haven't really wasted much cash, nor do you need to spend much more. Both coco peat and topsoil are very cheap and a water dish can just be a lid or a small bowl you have around the house. For now find a container with a secure lid and put the spider and a water bowl (a plastic bottle lid will do) in it, maybe add an unscented toilet paper roll or part of one for the spider to hide in, then you just need to get a block of coco peat and expand it, or a bag of topsoil, or both and follow the above advice. You could add a water dish and hide to the petco box and just put that into a large plastic tub that has a secure lid if you have one. Don't worry about air for now, a spider has a low metabolism so it can go days or even weeks on the air in a container.
You might be able to use the bark substrate to good effect as decor once you get a suitable substrate in. The substrate needs to be packed down btw, but I guess once you get the tarantula temporarily settled you can study up on how to set up your tank properly, there's plenty of helpful info and pictures on the forum.
You will probably cop a bit of flack for not researching first, but don't let that dampen your excitement, you have just taken your first step on an adventure, enjoy it!!! :)

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
It's a B. albopilosum, that's the species, I'm not sure from what locality, but it's a lovely looking specimen. I can't attest to what and how Petco etc. keep their T's only what I've heard and read here. Congratulations on finding a beautiful B. albopilosum, it's a great addition.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
MY EYES!!! MY EEEEEEEYES!!!!!!!!!!!!