Very Disturbing!!!!

Flower

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow....I guess some pets are just entertainment to some cultures. Much the same way St. Bernards are raised like cattle in some SE Asian countries for meat. Alas....who are we to decide what's right and wrong for other cultures? And furthermore, what is the measure by which we proudly call our Western ways as "civilization" over other cultures, when our modern industrial nations are the ones ravaging the planet? I think Agent Smith said it best when he likened humans to a virus.....

".....Mammals tend to develop a natural equilibrium with their environment. Humans, on the other hand, multiply until every natural resource is consumed, then spread and multiply some more...."

Who's not to say that perhaps Third-World civilization is more civilized than we, ourselves, actually are?
When you eat an animal, no matter what it is, you use it's body productively to promote your own survival.

When you kill for entertainment it is selfish. Those tarantulas could have remained in the wild, been pets, or even food, but instead they fought for a Youtube audience only to end up dead in the trash.

We already consume and even waste a huge number of resources on this earth for food, clothing, and our general well-being. As far as I'm concerned what's left shouldn't be subject to wasteful things like dying for the general public to laugh and jeer at.

Flower

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The emission of greenhouse gases is one form of planet destruction, but so is massive deforestation, overfishing, overhunting, and having many more kids than you can feed or even send to school, all of which are very common in most 3rd world countries. We are destroying the planet together so don't be so quick to blame yourself.
In really poor countries, (this statement applies to history too, why people traditionally had many kids) many children will die. Families have many kids for other reasons besides lack of birth control -- those kids can help with labor and money making for the family, and many are conceived with the notion that not all will make it to adulthood due to poverty and lack of proper medical care.

That being said, we ARE destroying the world together. One reason our greenhouse gasses are destroying so quickly is the depletion of forests that cleanse the atmosphere (the deforestation of the Amazon has probably the largest impact in means of deforestation.)

"The planet is like a sweater, when you pull one thread, it all unravels."

With every bad thing we do, it impacts something greater. I think every country probably contributes something harmful to the environment. :(

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I apologise. Ive only been in the hobby almost a year. I had no idea this went on and wasnt sure if anyone else knew about it. Maybe someday I will be up to par with everyone else.....:wall:
Hey, Big Daddy, I want to thank you for bringing this to our (my) attention - I'm a noobie too, and it never occurred to me that people were exploiting these extraordinary creatures this way, although I guess it should come as no surprise - now I know - it's important that we know and see what's going on so that we can advocate against it. And therefore a reminder to the old timers wouldn't hurt either, in my opinion.

But please, tell me you didn't forward this video to Michael Vick! :eek: