1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very Concerned

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by lovinonmybell, Apr 16, 2018.

1. lovinonmybell

lovinonmybell Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    have you ever had one of your Ts go into pre molt and then the rest seem to follow?

I have an Avic Avic who's about 2 inches maybe, and they have not eaten in 25 days,
    My Caribena Versicolor sling who is under an inch hasnt eaten in 19 days
    and my Brachypelma Albopilosum hasn't eaten now in a week.

Avic Avic
    rescued last month from the pet shop, where they had them on no substrate and horizontally, with cricket gel in the dish which was super moldy

since bringing it home i have rehoused this into a bigger kritter keeper on its side to make more room, added cork bark and fake plants. has a full water dish at all times, and has 3 inches of eco earth on the floor, nothing else.

has eaten once in my care and didn't even finish the whole dubia roach..

since it hasn't been eating i have been making it a habit to spray the enclosure walls at least once a week to make sure its getting something to dehydrate with. hasn't eaten in 25 days but continues to poo so.. im hoping this is a good sign

Caribena Versicolor

from local trusted breeder

received as 3/4 sling
    always been an awesome eater until 19 days ago.. im not sure how long it is okay for a sling this small to go without eating?
    I didn't also rehouse this guy i think about a week after i first brought home because i was concerned there was no cross ventilation

i haven't seen this little fella come out of its funnel at all since it stopped eating. i even chased it out of its funnel yesterday and managed to get it up close next to the little dubia nymph and it just ran away ..
    i dont have a water bowl in its enclosure.. i simply spray the web once a week , but other then that the coco fiber is kept bone dry.
    this was eating 1-2 times per week up until 19 days ago then it stopped completely.
    this on also has cork bark, and fake plants in its enclosure

Brachypelma Albopilosum

this one was also received from a local and trusted breeder as 3/4 sling
    has always eaten 1-2 times a week until this week.. i believe its now been a little over a week now that it hasn't eaten for me.

but im almost positive this one is in premolt for sure because dang does it have a booty! also its butt is SUPER shiny and i have been noticing it making its tunnels ALOT bigger

i also spray one side of the enclosure once a week for this little fella, but this one unlike the others is kept on vermiculite and i have not rehoused this one since getting it from the breeder, it did have a leaf in its enclosure but its basically disappeared with all the vermiculite the little fella has put on top of it.

My house is a bit on the colder side of things, its usually around 68 -70 Fahrenheit.

i feed all my everything dubia, nymphs and medium for the 2" er.. ive also tried red runners for this one as well.

Any suggestions? im going to come back and post pictures of enclosures so you can get a good idea of what they look like. but i mean.. i don't handle unless i have to, and i pretty much leave them alone except for now because im literally checking on everyone like 5x a day peeking at them wondering what the heck is going on.

Thank you for an suggestions you might have.

IMG_20180408_200850_092.jpg current set up for Avic Avic. IMG_20180408_203903_875.jpg Brachypelma Albopilosum, with her booty IMG_20180408_203825_898.jpg IMG_20180408_203825_898.jpg caribena Versicolor with her funel -its in the leaves.. kinda hard to see from that angle - IMG_20180312_224525.jpg this was before it made it's funnel. But you can get an idea of the size , and I also took out the water dish and the moss.

Screenshot_20180414-121322.png avic avic when I was rehousing her

IMG_20180411_214819.jpg IMG_20180411_214819.jpg last night's recent picture of avic avic

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018 at 9:37 PM
  2. Mirandarachnid

Mirandarachnid Arachnosquire Active Member

Texas
    Advertisement
    If you bump the temps up a bit it might help move things along a little faster and trigger them to molt.

If you have a spider that is refusing food and staying in it's safe place (hide/web tube), you probably shouldn't chase it out and try to feed it.

The cool temps in your house may be the reason premolt is lasting so long (speculation, I don't keep the arboreal floofs, and can't speak to how long premolt tends to last with them), but the fact that you have three T's in premolt is nothing to be concerned about. The more spiders you have, the less likely it'll be that they're all in premolt at the same time. It's a numbers game my friend, and more spiders is always the answer. ;)

3. Sana

Sana Arachnoprince Active Member

I don’t see a reason for concern as long as they have full water dishes. Premolt (even with little ones) can take a while. My itty bitty ones are generally 20-30 days. Mass molting isn’t super surprising. Weather patterns seem to trigger molts around here. When the temperature or humidity jump I suddenly find myself surrounded by them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. boina

boina Arachnoangel Arachnosupporter

Germany
    The Avic seems a bit on the thin side - it may still be in premolt but I wouldn't be surprised if there are underlying issues. Depending on how much you "spray the enclosure walls at least once a week" this may actually contribute to the problem. Is this a recent picture of your Avic in it's setup? If it hasn't started to web it usually isn't in premolt - an Avic in premolt should start creating a web to molt in. If it doesn't do so there's something wrong. I think this animal should still eat. I'd strongly recommend to stop spraying since it has a water dish after all. Whatever the issue is spraying can only make it worse. And start feeding crickets. Some Avics seriously dislike Dubias. And you might want to think about leaving the inside of the cork tube open for your Avic to use and not filing it with moss and stuff. The setup overall looks suboptimal: One corner is stuffed with leaves where the Avic can't comfortable get in between and the rest of the enclosure is bare.

The Versi enclosure, on the other hand, looks very nice, but why did you take the water bowl out? Replace the water bowl and stop spraying. If you want to provide extra water drip a little bit on the web. Still the spider looks plump enough to be ready for a molt. I see nothing really to worry about here.

B. albo: This one is not really close to a molt and not even very fat. Vermiculite is a reall bad substrate, especially for slings. They have problems walking on the shifting grains which can seriously inhibit hunting behaviour. They can't make a burrow because it will always collapse. Both these things mean your sling will be perpetually stressed and probably not feed as well as it should. If it tries to molt on the shifting underground at that size it can get trapped between the grains, leading to molting trouble, in bad cases even death. Molting tarantulas are so soft that even the light weight vermiculite grains can pose a danger. REHOUSE! And rather sooner than later.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Award Award x 2
  5. lovinonmybell

lovinonmybell Arachnopeon

I'm going to put water dish ba
    we have been having really cruddy weather lately! maybe thats it :(

Avic Avic- i only do a light spritz once so there is some droplets on the side of the enclosure for access to water, and its only one side, one time a week, i have read about SADS so if anything im overly paranoid about humidity. but it does look skinny to me :( so i am concerned, i havent seen any mites and im constantly checking it over.

Versi- i took the water bowl out because it wasnt leaving the funnel, so instead i started spraying the web by putting some drops on the funnel, i am paranoid about humidity because of SADS so i make sure everything else stays dry except for a couple drops on the web

B albo- im going to be rehousing this fella today with new packed down eco earth, at least this way ill be able to get a water dish in there as well.

also upping the temp in my room to at least 75

thank you for replying!! i now have a heater in my room set to 75 :) i hope its them molting, because i just ordered my first GBB sling and want to make sure iim doing everything right before i order more babies

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018 at 9:39 PM
  6. RonnyT

RonnyT Arachnopeon Active Member

Canada
    SADS is a myth, just a result of improper care. You can add a water bowl and keep the sub dry. Misting really isn't necessary.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoangel Active Member

Montreal
    Don't be paranoid about humidity, its inconsequential...avics are proven to do better mostly dry.

Pay mind to what the experienced keepers are saying, SADS is not real...merely an invented term that people pinned deaths on when in fact their husbandry was all wrong. Be careful who you trust with advice...if they say avics need high humidity then they don't know what their talking about.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

I've had smaller slings go about 3 months without eating, and didn't even molt before eating again. So even slings can go a long time on food reserves alone.

My Avic can be a pretty picky eater, so it might be a good idea to try different types of feeders. For a while after her first molt in my care, the only thing she would eat was madagascar hissing cockroaches, because they were the only thing that could climb on the enclosure walls right up to her. Yours is quite a bit smaller though, so perhaps other roaches that can climb might be a better option.

The issues with the enclosure setups were all already addressed, so I won't get on your case for them.

Raising the temp certainly helps speed up the growth process, but just for your records, 68 - 70 F isn't terrible. That's the range I keep all my Ts at (although that range will probably go up in the summer). Those aren't dangerous temperatures for species you have. Like I said, it might just slow down the growth rate a bit. It certainly doesn't hurt to have them grow out of their sling phase faster, and most people on here would even encourage it, but keep in mind that the reason they try to grow as fast as possible in the wild is to be less vulnerable to predators. In captivity, that's not a factor that needs consideration

• Agree Agree x 1