Versicolor trouble

kariannr

Arachnopeon
So I have this juvenile C. versicolor. In the picture you can see he has made the inside of the the hermit crab toy I gave him his lair. I intended to get him something better to hide in before his next molt, but I'm afraid I wasn't quick enough. He seems to be in premolt again, and I'm not sure it's a good idea to try to push him out of his lair, but I'm also afraid that he'll be too big to get out if he molts inside it. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

NickW

Arachnopeon
Definately leave it alone at this point. Disturbing it will cause more problems than good. Is it a hermit crab shell? As said above, they usually know what they need. Your picture can't be viewed by us for some reason.

kariannr

Arachnopeon
Good to know that. I'll try to post the picture again, but the toy is basically a hollowed out piece of cholla wood. The opening is probably about an inch across. It's so pretty I'd hate to loose it over a stupid mistake.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Good to know that. I'll try to post the picture again, but the toy is basically a hollowed out piece of cholla wood. The opening is probably about an inch across. It's so pretty I'd hate to loose it over a stupid mistake.
Like others have said, you'd be surprised at how little space they need to molt successfully. They've been doing it since before we ever were, I'd just make sure the rest of your husbandry is good and let him do his thing. Best of luck.

cold blood

Staff member
Those pics are vital...it sounds like your hide is on the ground. There should be no hides on the ground, they need vertical wood surrounded by plants and lots of ventilation. How big is the specimen?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Try attaching it to this thread or uploading to the gallery and embedding the image in your reply.

"Share BB IMG (With Thumbnail) Code" results in a small preview with a link to the original:

"Share BB GALLERY Code" results in a large preview with a link to the original:

NickW

Arachnopeon
I see no issues. I was thinking it was an actual plastic toy haha. It actually looks like it might work pretty well. Like a cactus skeleton painted red. I keep skinnier cork bark rounds in sling setups and havent had any issues.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Okay. Hopefully I have the pic now.
I can't tell whether it's a mature male from that angle (I'd need to see a picture of the ends of the palps), but that enclosure could use some work.

The main change I would suggest is a lot more leaves/vines near the top for your versi to attach webbing to.

These two threads contain helpful information:

NickW

Arachnopeon
I did forget to mention adding some fake leaves or plants. I bought a small vine type at petco and cut it up.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
I can't tell whether it's a mature male from that angle (I'd need to see a picture of the ends of the palps), but that enclosure could use some work.

The main change I would suggest is a lot more leaves/vines near the top for your versi to attach webbing to.

These two threads contain helpful information:
Definitely not a mature male, it still has its juvenile colors. A mature male C. versicolor would look far different.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Also, fruit flies are a poor feeder at that size, and in general. Very small with very low nutritional value, crickets, mealworms, or roaches would all work much better.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
If it's quite small, you can get mini mealworms at a few pet stores. It can be hard to find feeders small enough at first.

One other trick I've used with great success with my Versicolor when it was much smaller was to get a cricket that normally might be a handful. Place it into the refrigerator for an hour, not the freezer!! Using tongs and tweezers remove the 2 rear legs and the rest of the legs all on one side. If it begins the move excessively, back into the fridge for 20 minutes.

Then i toss it right into the web which will be where it's hiding. As the cricket slowly warms up, it wiggles more and more. The activity slowly reaches the level at which the spider can attack with confidence and eat it's very large meal.

Only thing you need first is a good web. It also works with mealworms, but no dissembly required.