Versicolor Premolt?

Lil Paws

Arachnosquire
My versi isn't taking prey (it's been about a week or so), it appears he's sealed up his tunnel and he's looks duller, but his abdomen doesn't look large or shiny. Is there any possibility he's in premolt? Going to get extra small crickets today just in case.

Lil Paws

Arachnosquire
1" sling. I actually have no idea on sex yet. I'll see about getting a shot later today.

He/she is one of my first arboreals so I'm not completely sure about what is "healthy" abdomen size. It doesn't seem shrunken or skinny, but it doesn't look shiny or super round either like some versi premolt pics show so I'm wondering if this could be earlyish premolt or just a matter of me needing to get smaller crickets and make sure they are in/near the web better?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Most likely early pre-moult, swollen/shiny/darker abdomen is usually when they are in very heavy pre-moult.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
My experience is limited, but I do have two slings that size and they seem to be on about 6 weeks molt cycle.

If it’s been awhile since last molt, then you’re probably right that it’s about to molt.

JohnR

Arachnopeon
I agree that it's in pre-molt... I have 3 versi slings and they eat when offered prey right away and if they're in pre molt, they ignore/don't eat anything offered and stay on hunger strike for more than a week (most of the time for me) until it molts...

basin79

ArachnoGod
My adult female is always out even now when she's as fat as a seal. If she ever hides away I know she's in premoult.

Obviously not all T's are the same but the longer you have yours the more you'll get to know them.

Andrea B

Arachnopeon
My versi sling has molted twice in my care. The first time the abdomen got fairly shiny. This last time, not so much.